Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday 5th December 2023

(50 Posts)
Michael12 Tue 05-Dec-23 05:51:25

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark, wet start here in brackley this morning.
Plan to do my usual routine going on the bus to Bicester and finish my gift list.
Then a day indoors watching TV
Take Care,
Mick

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 05-Dec-23 05:56:55

Good morning Mick and all who follow.
A quiet day here today, last clean through before the Christmas decs go up, presents to wrap to go to MzOops at the weekend, cake to ice and cards to write.
I’ll pop back and read all of your posts later.
Have a good day everyone, hope all those who are unwell soon feel better.

RosiesMaw Tue 05-Dec-23 06:01:49

Good morning all from wet N Bucks.
Somebody wanted to go out around 5 o clock so here I am, wide awake, reading my book. Might get a mug of tea while I am waiting to feel sleepy again.
Got nothing done from yesterday’s “to do” list apart from picking up 3 thermal tops from M&S. That should put paid to the cold weather - expect a heatwave next!
So today the list is still “to do” hmm Oh, I did order a tree from our village shop, deciding I if I am to have a real one I’d rather support a local business than a big supermarket or garden centre chain.
With hopes that today is kind to you all.

fancythat Tue 05-Dec-23 06:11:13

Good morning from down South.
Finishing off the cards today, then going out to buy stamps and post.
I have learnt from other years that they are not finished, until they are actually in the postbox.

Grandmabatty Tue 05-Dec-23 06:29:45

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 2° and damp. Up early for childcare. Today dgs2 has a hospital appointment to look at a wee problem he has. The GP thinks it's a herniated testicle. Poor wee man. In between times we will play with cars and go for a walk if he feels up to it. His mum will pick him up and drop him off. We're saying nothing to dgs1 because he is a sensitive wee soul and worries about things. Have a good day all

grandMattie Tue 05-Dec-23 06:30:53

Oh, my post has just deleted itself!
Good morning again from a dry, milder Bristol. It bucketed down all day yesterday.
My painter arrived to do the doors. It is amazing what a difference a few coats of white paint makes to the amount of light in my dark corridor.
Around 1115, the power went off. It as not me, not my neighbours opposite - just the last 15 flats, mine included. The power company was advised, playing the vulnerable old people card. About 2 hours later, it came back on. Then went off. When about 1/2 hour later, it came back on again, we held our breaths. It stayed on!
The poor painter had been doing his best with a torch; not easy, especially as it was a particularly gloomy day - a lights on all day type of day. He is doing a sterling job, back today.
I was particularly tired and did very little; just lining and backing my patchwork squares, I quilted a few - when I had power.
The chiropodist came and did my feet, in the gloom…
Today is empty. I must write my Christmas letter, do my Spanish homework, prepare for tomorrow’s village street jolly, etc.
I hope today brings glad news, that life’s difficulties ease, and contentment reigns. Carpe diem 🦩🦩🦩

Ashcombe Tue 05-Dec-23 06:34:08

Good morning from a damp, chilly Torbay.

For any interested, Lidl is selling off all the middle of Lidl items at 50% less than listed price but only for three more days. It includes Christmas items and toys (and other items you didn’t know you needed!) so could be worth a look if you have time.

It was pretty busy there yesterday but not crowded. I fell into conversation with another customer and found we had a friend in common via the theatre! One of our lovely men who joined a couple of years ago for ‘Allo, ‘Allo.

Props this morning at the theatre then Christmas lunch at a hostelry near my home and a rehearsal in costume tonight.

I hope the hospital can help your DGS2 promptly, Grandmabatty: that sounds most uncomfortable for the lad.

Have a good day, everyone! 🦩🥰🦩💐🦩

grandMattie Tue 05-Dec-23 06:54:04

Sounds awful, batty. Hope that it can be easily resolved.

cornergran Tue 05-Dec-23 06:59:39

Morning Mick, morning All from a dark, dry corner of Somerset.

It didn’t stop raining all day yesterday, the area has several flood warnings.

Mr C was gloomy. Still testing positive. It seems these bugs are reluctant to leave him. I think he feels better than I do at the moment, no logic.

Cleaning accomplished the afternoon saw me checking the inside of my eye lids in front of the tv. Our goddaughter phoned again, the situation with her mum is complex beyond my ability to comprehend. I hope she (finally!) listened to my urging to seek professional advice. She’s used to me helping her sort things, I feel and am pretty useless with this one.

Not sure about the shape of today other than groceries will arrive unreasonably early. Now why did I select that time?

Hope your grandsons appointment goes well grandmab. Your day sounds a good if busy one ash. 🤞 for a power filled day grandmattie

Hope Tuesday is kind to us all.

Marydoll Tue 05-Dec-23 07:11:17

Good morning all, its dry here in Glasgow and 3°C.
I hope the hospital appointment goes well, GMBatty.

DH and I are going to pick up our news glasses today, then going to the Italian café for lunch. This ongoing nausea makes me very reluctant to cook, so a treat for him.
We also plan to pick up pyjamas for Buddy Elf, who will be found sleeping in papa's car, when we do the school run tomorrow.

Have a pleasant day folks, whatever your plans and as always, praying for a better day for all, who are struggling.

Mizuna Tue 05-Dec-23 07:20:50

Good morning from Cornwall where it's dry and coldish at 5°. A new pasty shop is opening three doors down, which bodes well as a traditional family shop closed there last year after decades of supplying the best pasties anywhere in Cornwall. This new owner has used a traditional signwriter for her fascia, which interests me as my dad was a signwriter before he turned artist, and his father was a coach painter, applying adverts to the side of horse-drawn vehicles. I still have his brushes.

Today a trip to my favourite charity shop for a coffee and browse. Grandmabatty, all the best for your little one.

Greyduster Tue 05-Dec-23 07:34:51

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a very wet, very cold South Yorkshire. This house seems to take an age to warm up in the mornings. The car park at Aldi was flooded yesterday when I went to do my shopping. Fortunately I was wearing my waterproof walking shoes. Folks were getting their feet wet! The afternoon was spent cleaning. This afternoon I have a volunteer session and then must think about writing some Christmas cards and letters.
Corner💐.
Have the best day you can, folks.

Greyduster Tue 05-Dec-23 07:39:18

Mizuna, I make Cornish pasties from a traditional Cornish recipe, but they never taste quite as good as they do in Cornwall. Must be the sea air that makes the difference😊!

NannyJan53 Tue 05-Dec-23 07:42:50

Good morning from a very rainy and dark Black Country. Where it didn't stop raining all day yesterday.

Meeting a friend for lunch at a local Garden Centre later. It is very popular so hope we can get a table.

Thank you for the heads up regarding Lidl Ashcombe we normally go to Aldi as it is nearer, but I shall pop in on the way home today.

I keep having that problem lately gM , write out a post then it disappears! Never had that happen before.

Hope all goes well for your DGS Grandmabatty sounds painful for the little lad.

Wishing you all the best day possible.

Bonnybanko Tue 05-Dec-23 07:48:40

Good morning everyone from a very cold but dry day here on the east coast of Fife. I had a good day yesterday shopping in M&S food hall.. I bought myself some roses (not the eating type) and a bottle of vodka for my sisters Christmas plus several other delights
Today my school chum from days of old is visiting me she’s now working for a local cats charity and I’m happy to donate certain things to her it’s a great way to declutter and a win win for all.

I was told my DS had a massive flooding yesterday, keep safe all who live in Somerset.

luluaugust Tue 05-Dec-23 07:48:57

Good morning from a wet W Kent. I need to go and have my new glasses adjusted this morning and do a little shopping, otherwise a clear day.
Grandmabatty I hope your GS gets the treatment he needs.
Marydoll enjoy your lunch
Best wishes to all

GrannyGravy13 Tue 05-Dec-23 07:49:20

Morning all, yesterday’s trip to Bluewater was successful, I think I am finally finished.

The workmen removed the decking either side of the house along with the main are outside sitting room, not sure if they are going to prepare for the tiles today or remove the deck at the end of the garden. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product especially after the trouble we had sourcing the tiles.

GrandmaBatty our GS had the same when he was 13 very painful and extremely embarrassing for a teen. It was a quick op (in and out the day after Boxing Day) and a speedy recovery. I hope your GS is sorted soon.

I have ironing, gift wrapping and then it’s swimming lessons with the 3 & 8 yr olds 😱

Have a good day everyone 🤶🏻🎄

kittylester Tue 05-Dec-23 07:51:19

Good morning all from a soggy North Leicestershire.

I have a short walk to choir this morning then i am going out for lunch with a glamorous friend. So, should I do the short distance to choir in the car to try to preserve my hair?

I hope to do some wrapping too.

Have the best day possible everyone.

BlueSapphire Tue 05-Dec-23 07:52:55

Good morning everyone from a very wet Northampton, 6°C outside. Set to remain wet all day, but hoping it eases after lunch so that I can get out with my walking group. A late breakfast and a bit of pottering before that.

Yesterday's visit to the optician turned out to be as expensive as I thought - new glasses needed which has put paid to my winter fuel allowance..... The coffee and mince pie provided by the optician did little to soften the blow.

Had a mooch around the shops, bought my Christmas stamps, and then bumped into as colleague/friend from my teaching days, had not seen her since before Covid. We made arrangements to go out for lunch in the new year.

Must go into the paper shop this afternoon after our walk, and pay my bill.

After reading the thread yesterday on adult children's Christmas presents this year, I have decided to give theatre vouchers instead of money; they all love a visit to our lovely local theatre. So, another trip into town for me to the box office. May do that this morning, as shan't be able to get into town again until next week.

Hope all have a pleasant day.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 05-Dec-23 07:54:43

Morning all from West Oxfordshire. It feels quite mild.
Weekly shop today. Then card writing, WI admin and sorting presents.
I will send my condolences to my cousin today. Her mother - my aunt - died yesterday at the age of 91.
OH has a U3A thing this afternoon and is out again this evening. I will have no excuse to get on with Christmassy things.
Thinking about disappearing posts. I find that pressing the Preview button every now and again can help.
Have a good day, especially those with difficulties.

Alygran Tue 05-Dec-23 07:57:57

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s raining.
Yesterday I took my neighbour to see her DH in the convalescent home. While there she became unwell, unable to get her words out. She hadn’t slept well the previous night and blamed tiredness. I brought her home and after speaking to her DD and DGD ( a doctor) who are on the south coast we called 999. The paramedics thought she may have had a TIA so took her to hospital. There’s no news yet so I hope she isn’t still waiting to be seen. Another DD is driving up from London. It’s so hard when the family are such a long way away. Their son lives in the south too. It makes me ponder about living so far from family even in a close knit village with lots of friends when you become elderly and infirm.
This afternoon (All being well) I’m off to a Christmas afternoon tea then seeing friends this evening.
Have a good day everyone.

Gingster Tue 05-Dec-23 07:58:50

Good morning all , no rain, no sun, no wind , no frost or snow here in Essex.

Yesterday I went to our U3A Christmas concert. Usually it’s so bad that it’s funny but this year it was dire. My friend said ‘well that’s one afternoon of my life I won’t get back’ 🤣. Oh dear!
Shouldn’t complain , they put a lot if time and effort in but, honestly!!!

DD’s scheduled biopsy was cancelled at the last minute. And she still hasn’t had the results of a scan , taken nearly three weeks ago. All this delay isn’t good. 😤.

Today I have Bridge club this afternoon , before that I must order a repeat prescription and book a health check at the doctors.

Hope little gs gets his problem sorted GB.

Mizuna how lovely to have real cornish pasties in your doorstep. 😋.
What a lovely family history of sign writers and artists . No wonder you are so creative yourself. 🧑‍🎨🎨🖌️.

Take care all and I hope all poorlies, worried or just plain cheesed off, feel a bit brighter today. 🌈

Grammaretto Tue 05-Dec-23 07:59:13

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where it is dry so far but not light yet.
We have such short days. Yesterday it poured all day. I was supposed to send an item I sold on line but the thought of slithering a mile or so along to the alldays shop didn't appeal.
I did an extra shift in our community store and watched the popular items being sold, trying to get ideas for my own shopping.
Pictish art this morning and Gaelic class tonight.
Your flat will be so nice for the future gMattie
I had the all clear from the optician to drive though she said I could have from day 1 after the cataract op. You aren't told that officially but it's true. I lent my car to a df so I have none.
Have a good day everyone whatever you do

brook2704 Tue 05-Dec-23 08:07:05

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s just getting light and it’s cold at about 0º
Hope all goes well for your DGS today at the hospital grandmabatty 🧸
We eventually got home late last night after one of those journeys where everything goes wrong with a train cancellation and a long flight delay etc. At least DH was with me though so it wasn’t that bad, it was just such a long day. Today I should be off to the gym but I think I’ll give it a miss and stay home.
So sorry to hear about the delayed scan results and cancelled biopsy Gingster it’s additional stress and worry that I’m sure your DD and you could well do without. Hope it’s sorted soon
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, hope today is gentle and take care all whatever the day brings 💐

Grannyme6 Tue 05-Dec-23 08:12:08

Good morning. Busy day ahead with DGS4’s prep school Carol Concert in Dorset then on to stay at DD’s in Oxfordshire for DGD2’s first nativity play tomorrow morning.
Wishing a good day for all.