Gransnet forums

Chat

Present for 8 year old boy

(29 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Thu 07-Dec-23 12:09:36

I have totally run out of ideas now. He wants stuff to do with gaming, but his mum is not keen on that - what the heck can I get him?

Farmor15 Thu 07-Dec-23 12:29:39

If he's into making things and has a bit of patience, Ugears models seem to be excellent. Some are very complicated but there are some simpler ones and they really work - my 30 something year old son is very keen! Main thing is that having made them, they are fun to play with.
ugearsmodels.co.uk/

ginny Thu 07-Dec-23 12:31:41

Most young boys I know love Lego. There are so many different sets of all sizes and topics.

Luckygirl3 Thu 07-Dec-23 12:33:04

Thanks for the idea - I am not sure he would sit still long enough for making on of those - I will ask his Mum.

Joseann Thu 07-Dec-23 12:40:00

Logi Blocs smart circuit
Remote control spider/tarantula 🕷
Goalie gloves

V3ra Thu 07-Dec-23 12:47:22

A Lego model of a character from his favourite online game?
Or an item of clothing, eg a hoody, with a picture of a character on it?

I've bought a fleecy blanket with pictures of a particular "fashionable" toy on it, rather than the toy itself (which I suspect is this year's fad and will be out of favour by summer 🫤)

Iam64 Thu 07-Dec-23 13:05:48

I’ve bought a science type toy for my 8 year old boy. They make an electric circuit. Under £20 at John Lewis but I’m sure they’ll be available on the evil empire for less (and delivered within 24 hours)

crazyH Thu 07-Dec-23 13:08:29

I have a 7+ year old and I’ve got him something for gaming, with his mum’s approval - unfortunately , that’s what they like these days. But clothes, will be appreciated I’m sure. I’ve got Lego for the 5 year old

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 07-Dec-23 13:21:06

Pin art - £ 10 or so.

25Avalon Thu 07-Dec-23 13:27:05

Have a look at The Happy Puzzle Company for games of logic. Also Bright Minds have different ideas categorised into age groups.
Why not ask mum?

Joseann Thu 07-Dec-23 14:57:47

An air up bottle. It's just like drinking plain water and the pods contain only natural flavours and are vegetarian and vegan.

Aveline Thu 07-Dec-23 16:14:58

The Wicked Uncle site has good suggestions for various ages. Efficient service too. Not an advert just a satisfied customer. smile

Joseann Thu 07-Dec-23 16:26:39

Marvellous, thanks Aveline. All sorts of funny bits and pieces there!

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Dec-23 16:41:51

I met an 8 year old in the park recently with one of these...(below)
It was totally amazing, rugged and puddle proof! It ran for quite a long time. I think he said it was USB charged.
My 5 Yr old granddaughter loved watching him and he was kind enough to give her a go.

They come in 3 sizes. Not sure if the smaller ones are this robust. He had his from age 6 apparently. His mum says it's still in regular use and the smaller one is easier to control for younger children.

www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/construction-and-cars/car-toys/monster-jam/monster-jam-megalodon-storm-thrasher-1-15-remote-control-monster-truck/p/189281

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Dec-23 16:43:59

My 9 year old grandson wants gaming t-shirts.
He said he'd "send a link" grin when he's decided which he likes best.
I may have to remind him...

Iam64 Thu 07-Dec-23 16:46:22

Thanks Aveline, that site sounds good

I bought my 7 year old grandson a years subscription to a comic. It’s through a company called Pheonix, has science and art I’m told. It arrives monthly, addressed to the child’s name

MiniMoon Thu 07-Dec-23 16:54:47

If they have a game console I would ask his mum what he'd like. My grandchildren have a Nintendo switch and I have bought Goat simulator for them to share ( daughter's suggestion) she won't let them have anything with violence included.

Visgir1 Thu 07-Dec-23 20:11:38

That age group like "Minecraft" check that out.
Even Lego have Minecraft kits to make up.

ElaineI Thu 07-Dec-23 20:26:17

My grandson (10) has been given 'experiences' as gifts - go karting, extreme water park, Go Ape - things like that.

Theexwife Thu 07-Dec-23 21:06:20

If he is into gaming he would probably like merchandise that reflects the gaming he is into, which could be clothing, books, or stuff for his room.

CanadianGran Thu 07-Dec-23 21:18:24

I was struggling with my 9 yr old grandson. He's more of an outdoors kid, but not sports. I ended up getting an outdoor survival bush-craft book, and will get a compass and headlamp.
They do go camping as a family so this should suit him.

If your's is into biking or skateboarding, maybe a new helmet or pads?

Luckygirl3 Thu 07-Dec-23 21:45:45

He basically likes sitting in front of a computer! He will go out and about and enjoys himself when he does - but he has to be prised away.

Chardy Thu 07-Dec-23 21:47:41

You can get some ideas if you go on to Amazon, and search 'gifts for 8yr old boy'

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Dec-23 22:15:16

ginny

Most young boys I know love Lego. There are so many different sets of all sizes and topics.

There is a Minecraft Lego set, I bought one for DGS years ago.
Not gaming but based on gaming, which might keep him happy.

Just checked - there are various sets, varying prices.

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Dec-23 22:16:45

I think Transformers are popular again.