Gransnet forums

Chat

To not flush the loo when its raining!

(57 Posts)
Bea65 Thu 08-Feb-24 11:29:05

Think this was a comment was made on TV but for the life of me cannot remember who said this and/or why? Perhaps some GNs heard this and can confirm I'm not going pottygrin

Liz46 Thu 08-Feb-24 11:37:50

We went to the local shop yesterday evening and I think I saw it in a newspaper headline.

MaizieD Thu 08-Feb-24 11:40:33

I didn't actually hear it, but it was all 0ver Twitter a day or so ago. Apparently a tory MP suggested that not flushing the toilet during a rain storm would help to prevent flooding.

As overflowing sewers aren't a cause of flooding, the suggestion met with some derision... grin

Elegran Thu 08-Feb-24 11:42:01

Bea65 "I'm not going potty" You may have to if you can't flush the loo!

What was the reason given for that bit of advice?

TinSoldier Thu 08-Feb-24 11:43:06

Yes, this was Tory MP Flick Drummond saying it will ease pressure on water companies so they don't have to dump excess waste water and sewage into rivers.

meonvalleytimes.co.uk/dont-flush-your-toilet-when-it-rains-says-meon-valley-mp-flick-drummond/

Cold Thu 08-Feb-24 11:43:36

Is it to prevent contamination and back up when the sewers are flooded?

Elegran Thu 08-Feb-24 11:43:52

Thank you, MaizieD .

Cossy Thu 08-Feb-24 11:48:35

In our area it’s the storm drains which constantly overflow on very wet weather as they’re not properly maintained.

Good good, could you imagine the chaos and outcome if it was caused by us flushing our loos and sewers Co stantmy flooding! Ew! 💩💩💩

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Feb-24 12:17:49

So he/she is admitting failure to cope with pollution problems! It's not just our Los that are the problem.

There is a court case going on at the moment:

River Action take Environment Agency and DEFRA to court
Hundreds of people fearful for the ecological collapse of the River Wye, including river campaigner Feargal Sharkey, today gathered outside Cardiff’s Civil Justice Centre supporting a landmark legal case pursued by River Action against the Environment Agency and DEFRA.
7/2/24
riveractionuk.com/river-action-take-environment-agency-and-defra-to-court/

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Feb-24 12:18:02

loos .....

Grantanow Thu 08-Feb-24 12:24:03

Sounds a bit off the wall to me.

Bea65 Thu 08-Feb-24 14:12:16

Elegran 😊 I could do with a potty at night 😂

MaizieD Thu 08-Feb-24 14:19:38

TinSoldier

Yes, this was Tory MP Flick Drummond saying it will ease pressure on water companies so they don't have to dump excess waste water and sewage into rivers.

meonvalleytimes.co.uk/dont-flush-your-toilet-when-it-rains-says-meon-valley-mp-flick-drummond/

That does actually make 'some' sense, but I suspect that the overflow chambers the sewage is discharged from are probably too small for the area they serve because the Water Companies haven't updated the infrastructure.

Of course, all wastewater (from baths, washing machines, etc.) goes into the sewer, so perhaps we;d better stop all water related household operations when it rains grin

annsixty Thu 08-Feb-24 14:23:03

Bea65
I go so many times during the night that I have half thought about a commode in my bedroom.
It is the thought of emptying it every morning that puts me off😉😰

annsixty Thu 08-Feb-24 14:24:20

I am 86 and don’t share a room!!!

JakeysGranny Sat 10-Feb-24 11:15:54

Blimey we’ve had so many rainy days lately, & if we’re not allowed to flush when it’s raining….eek 😬

margauxbordeaux Sat 10-Feb-24 11:49:07

Oh my ! Unbelievable.

Have never heard this before ..

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Feb-24 11:52:25

JakeysGranny

Blimey we’ve had so many rainy days lately, & if we’re not allowed to flush when it’s raining….eek 😬

Eek indeed!!

Knitandnatter Sat 10-Feb-24 11:52:38

Hmmmm........sounds like an ideal way to block the household drains to be honest........just think of the build-up of loo paper not to mention other 'unmentionables' hmm

icanhandthemback Sat 10-Feb-24 12:03:05

My daughter cannot flush her toilets (or use her bath or sinks) during heavy rain. The sewers back up in her estate of new builds and nobody will take responsibility for it, especially not the water board. The area she lives in has real problems with such scenarios but still they continue to build.

Chestnut Sat 10-Feb-24 12:07:17

annsixty

Bea65
I go so many times during the night that I have half thought about a commode in my bedroom.

This whole thread sounds like a discussion between flaky Generation X'ers. Doesn't anyone remember the days when some people still had outside toilets? My uncle and aunt in the country for a start. They gave us a big china potty under the bed. I would have no problem emptying a commode, not as awful as dirty nappies.

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Feb-24 12:07:42

Knitandnatter

Hmmmm........sounds like an ideal way to block the household drains to be honest........just think of the build-up of loo paper not to mention other 'unmentionables' hmm

As soon as it stops raining, everyone flushes their loos and everything gets blocked up at once.

It was an MP who said it not a representative of a water company.

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Feb-24 12:08:21

Chestnut

annsixty

Bea65

This whole thread sounds like a discussion between flaky Generation X'ers. Doesn't anyone remember the days when some people still had outside toilets? My uncle and aunt in the country for a start. They gave us a big china potty under the bed. I would have no problem emptying a commode, not as awful as dirty nappies.

I've got a plant in the china gazunder.

fluttERBY123 Sat 10-Feb-24 12:24:41

While we're on the subject.
If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down.
Kathy Lette, journalist, Australian.
They take water seriously there.
We have cut our water bill considerably.

Grantanow Sat 10-Feb-24 12:27:58

One of our lesser-known Tory MPs desperate to get a bit of coverage?