Gransnet forums

Chat

10 year old grandson wants to learn to crochet

(27 Posts)
Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 17:31:02

I asked my three youngest grandchildren if they wanted to learn to crochet. I thought my granddaughter might be interested but it was the youngest grandson who showed an interest. He said some of the children in his class at school know how to crochet. He used to make bracelets and is very artistic, so I shouldn't be surprised 😁. My brother had a go at learning crochet when we were children and he was so much better than me. And even hubby learnt to knit as a child, so GS is in good company 😜

Has anyone got any tips on teaching children to crochet.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Feb-24 17:42:04

Good for him we have a very nice little yarn shop near me owned by a man and he gives knitting and crochet classes as well

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 18:39:03

I don't know about crochet but I gather that knitting used to be done by men and not women, back in the day. Apparently, chain mail used to be knitted.

Primrose53 Sat 10-Feb-24 18:56:44

I am sure there are sites for kids learning to crochet but if not try Bella Coco. My adult niece taught herself to crochet during lockdown using BC and was soon making lovely stuff.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 10-Feb-24 19:07:33

No, real chain mail is forged and riveted - the stage version may very well be knitted!

In my Scottish childhood elderly seamen could knit stockings, as they were often at sea for so long at a time that their stockings wore out and had to be replaced.

A lot of shepherds could and did knit too, but women have always knitted.

In some parts of Denmark, up until the late 19th century, buyers went from farm to farm buying up hand-knitted stockings. In these areas both boys and girls were taught to knit at an early age, as the stockings provided a welcome addition to poorer families' income, as the wool was spun in the home and came from the sheep kept by the family.

When the clothing trade became fully industrilized, usually only girls were taught to knit, until the 1970s, when schools no longer divided subjects up in girls' lessons and boys' lessons, so girls could learn carpentry, and boys to knit and sew.

Primrose53 Sat 10-Feb-24 19:09:19

bellacococrochet.com/

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 20:21:50

Thank you, grandtante that's really fascinating. You've peaked my interest. I'll have to look into the history of knitting 🤔

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 20:23:09

Thank you for the link, Primrose. I'll certainly check it out 👍

grannyactivist Sat 10-Feb-24 21:36:45

My youngest son knits and crochets the most amazing things - and he started at about eight years old.

Here’s a full size zebra head he crocheted some years back.

Primrose53 Sat 10-Feb-24 21:41:11

grannyactivist

My youngest son knits and crochets the most amazing things - and he started at about eight years old.

Here’s a full size zebra head he crocheted some years back.

Fabulous!

Has he seen Shauna Richardson’s crochet. I went to an exhibition and her work is awesome.

shaunarichardson.com/

MiniMoon Sat 10-Feb-24 21:42:47

I've just started teaching DGS3 to crochet. He's 11 and didn't know how to make a slip knot. He practiced, and then I taught him to make a chain and a row of double/single crochet. He did quite well and wants to learn more next time he visits.

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 23:42:52

grannyactivist, the zebra head is amazing!

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 23:45:47

MiniMoon, my grandson wants to learn to make gummy bears. I looked them up on YouTube and I think there is a pattern for them. A lot of the children in his class have made them and he wants to have a go.

Fairycakes Sat 10-Feb-24 23:47:32

p.s. I think chains and single crochet sound a good plan of action. Gummy bears will follow! smile

Gwyllt Sat 10-Feb-24 23:57:18

It’s time with gran Enjoy while you can

Redhead56 Sun 11-Feb-24 00:36:04

I taught my son and daughter to do both knit and crochet and why not.

biglouis Sun 11-Feb-24 01:01:59

In the past many men did cross stitch so I dont see anything wrong with a boy learning crochet. I wanted to do woodwork/metalwork and technical drawing in school but it wasnt allowed (1950s/60s)

My grandmother taught me embroidery crochet and I loved it because of the way it was possible to improvise. I was never as keen on knitting because you were just following someone elses pattern. My sister is a very good knitter.

My grandmother also taught me patchwork the traditional way using templates - known as English piecing. I also enjoy Indian (as in Asian) crazy patchwork because again its about improvising and embellishent on the go.

I have never used a machine for patchwork or embroidery. There is something soothing about any form of handwork.

biglouis Sun 11-Feb-24 01:09:51

Indian patchwork

Gummie Sun 11-Feb-24 07:55:14

I remember my dad used to knit our winter mittens. He was in the navy and they all knitted. But my mum knitted all our jumpers and woolly clothes.

Greyduster Sun 11-Feb-24 08:31:52

The best knitter I’ve ever met was an American serviceman - he put my knitting skills to shame! He could sew too - made dresses for his daughters. If your GS learns to crochet, perhaps he could come and teach me. I’m hopeless and everyone who ever tried to teach me soon gave up!😊

Primrose53 Sun 11-Feb-24 09:13:33

biglouis they started cross stitch at my son’s school in the 80s and he had a go. I went to a school fete and a couple of teachers and helper Mums stopped me to tell me his work was excellent considering he had never tried it before. Apparently he was a natural and better than all the girls.

Fairycakes Sun 11-Feb-24 09:23:57

biglouis, those are beautiful! ❤️

fiorentina51 Sun 11-Feb-24 11:43:14

I taught my 11 year old twin grandsons to crochet when they were about 8 or 9. I started with a simple chain using quite thick wool. Being twins they are quite competitive with each other so there was a race to make the longest chain.
When they grew tired of that I showed them how to coil the chain which I stitched securely to make two coasters.
This inspired them to make 4 more which are still in use.

SeaWoozle Tue 13-Feb-24 00:35:27

When we were kids, my uncle had a knitting machine and every year we'd get a jumper for Christmas. Usually had the latest cartoon hero on them. He made them for all four of us and probably other nieces & nephews (and probably his three sons!), so he was a busy and talented uncle for weeks at a time!

MissAdventure Tue 13-Feb-24 01:03:11

One of my exes was really good at knitting.
On the train up to London where he was a hod carrier, out would come his knitting needles, and his favourite thing to make was baby clothes.
Little cardigans and booties. smile