Gransnet forums

Chat

What I’ve come to realise about Keir Starmer….

(273 Posts)
Witzend Sun 18-Feb-24 13:57:27

He always seems to look worried, or wary, ill at ease.
This pic was on the front of a Times magazine yesterday.

See what I mean? Not that I can blame him for looking worried if he thinks he’s going to be PM in the not too distant future - what a load to carry!

I dare say others will disagree, but he never seems (to me) to look wholly confident or comfortable, at ease with himself.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Feb-24 14:03:40

My friend worked with him as a barrister in London and couldn’t speak highly enough of him said he was a very good boss and very caring
I guess he is walking on nails most days or tiptoeing around as he can’t do right for doing wrong

Galaxy Sun 18-Feb-24 14:16:04

When I used to come out of a meeting of our constituency labour party I imagine I looked as if I had been run over by a bus, I know the chair did. Things are so much better there these days but I would think it's still quite a hard battle.

Iam64 Sun 18-Feb-24 14:19:23

He remains well liked and respected because of his legal work

I saw him speak and answer questions at the Manchester hustings before he won the c leadership. He was entertaining, warm and genuine. I liked him

Maremia Sun 18-Feb-24 14:51:08

Bear in mind who selects the photographs/videos to be shown on MSM, and that many media outlets have a right wing bias just now.

Mollygo Sun 18-Feb-24 15:01:51

Witzend, he looks like that when you see him on TV too.
It must be quite worrying wondering how what you say will be interpreted by the watchers, and that’s before it’s dissected in the media.

eddiecat78 Sun 18-Feb-24 15:05:55

I've been saying this since he first came on the scene. It's one of many things about him that irritate me

silverlining48 Sun 18-Feb-24 15:06:22

Just read an article about him in Saturdays Times supplement. He didn’t have an easy start in life. He is well liked and respected by friends and colleagues. . I hope he is successful in the coming election, and do not have a problem with him being seen as serious. Politics is serious. I see it as a positive.
He has experience of having lived an ordinary life rather than an ivory tower.
As for photos, the Times must have had many to choose from, and they chose to use this one. They have their reasons. A few seconds later he coukd have been smiling….

Nicenanny3 Sun 18-Feb-24 15:06:37

My personal opinion is that he looks shifty, uncomfortable, I can't take to him, he sways with the wind, he changes his mind/principals at the drop of a hat will say anything to get elected.

Oreo Sun 18-Feb-24 15:11:21

Iam64

He remains well liked and respected because of his legal work

I saw him speak and answer questions at the Manchester hustings before he won the c leadership. He was entertaining, warm and genuine. I liked him

I saw him interviewed on tv about a year ago and he became relaxed and smiley talking of his family.
He does generally look wary, but he probably has good reason to.

Iam64 Sun 18-Feb-24 15:14:17

Nicenanny3

My personal opinion is that he looks shifty, uncomfortable, I can't take to him, he sways with the wind, he changes his mind/principals at the drop of a hat will say anything to get elected.

Well there’s a surprise 😂

Nicenanny3 Sun 18-Feb-24 15:15:11

He has zero charisma in my opnion.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 18-Feb-24 15:17:45

He looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

rafichagran Sun 18-Feb-24 15:22:58

I can't see the things others are seeing. He just looks normal to me.

ronib Sun 18-Feb-24 15:24:30

But Rishi Sunak is struggling with his public image too? Seems to be a media issue for both leaders?

Witzend Sun 18-Feb-24 15:30:00

Just to be clear, I wasn’t meaning to imply that it’s a bad thing. Certainly preferable to the bumptious over-confidence of Boris!

Iam64 Sun 18-Feb-24 15:30:22

A media image for both leaders - there’s no comparison

Grannybags Sun 18-Feb-24 15:34:02

I read the Times article and one of his friends said that when he watched Starmer on TV at the party conference he seemed to be a different person, holding back and distant, almost wooden compared to the generous, numerous and empathetic man he knows.

I think he’s terrified of saying the wrong thing

Nicenanny3 Sun 18-Feb-24 15:35:16

He's a fence sitter.

Nicenanny3 Sun 18-Feb-24 15:35:59

Do you want a fence sitter as PM?

BlueBelle Sun 18-Feb-24 15:37:21

he has zero charisma in my opinion nicensnny2 unlike the blonde bombshell eh !!! give me a serious man rather than a fool
he looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights said by a trueblue ehGSM (shame we agree on so much else) 😂

Nicenanny3 Sun 18-Feb-24 15:40:42

BORIS is long gone, Sunak has zero charisma also.

spabbygirl Sun 18-Feb-24 15:52:46

He's just what we need after Boris & co, it must feel like a helluva responsibility on him, anyone on a low income must be desperate for a change in govt to something more compassionate.
I vote according to policies, I don't care who they put in charge & since Labour have always been the champion of the working class, starting the NHS etc then they get my vote.
Sunak also looks shifty in my view, like he's really only happy with a spreadsheet in front of him.

Casdon Sun 18-Feb-24 16:18:21

I think he’s got plenty to be worried about picking up the pieces - I’d prefer him to not be like the current leadership - don’t worry, be happy!
m.youtube.com/watch?v=OvtSomaXKE8
(this is last year but nothing has changed - lest we forget).

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Feb-24 16:37:24

Nicenanny3

He has zero charisma in my opnion.

Do we want charisma?
Or someone with more depth and intelligence?