Gransnet forums

Chat

If you could go back in time….

(101 Posts)
Whethertomorrow Sun 18-Feb-24 15:19:19

If you could go back in time and to any place, without being seen or influencing matters, what would you like to witness?

As a crafter I’d like to go back to the very first time someone made 2 knitting needles and made a ball of wool and started knitting. Did someone just pick up twigs and yarn and start fiddling around? How did they develop casting on and invent two stitches? Or did aliens land and pass on their knowledge?

What would you like to witness? Could be happy, sad, weird or wonderful?

Oreo Sun 18-Feb-24 15:20:26

My grandparents lives when they were young.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 18-Feb-24 17:38:14

How my many times great grandmother explained who was the father of the two children she had between the death of her first husband in 1581 and her remarriage in 1585. Oh to be a fly on the wall! I strongly suspect the father was her stepson, close in age to her, but I will never be able to prove it.

Gwyllt Sun 18-Feb-24 17:40:13

Our house is early Victorian
However the earlier on on the site had someone famous born there
Would be fantastic to see them

SeaWoozle Sun 18-Feb-24 18:01:31

What an amazing question! So many different things I'd love to see, in no particular order....

1. Mediaeval times just to see what it was like. In particular Warwick Castle because it's just so atmospheric (maybe not so much now that Tussauds has taken it over).

2. To see Martin Luther King

3. See my parents/grandparents as children

4. To be among those who discovered Australia

5. To see the house I grew up in as it was when it was a 'working' house. See if any of them were people I'd seen as ghosts! 👻

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Feb-24 18:44:04

To sit quietly in the corner and watch my paternal and maternal Grans having a good old natter, they were great friends and I miss them dearly.

My maternal Gran never got to see my children, my paternal Gran got to meet them all 😢

Whethertomorrow Sun 18-Feb-24 18:49:21

Thank you Seawoozle and what a fantastic name! I’m imagining all sorts of awesome sea creatures.

LauraNorderr Sun 18-Feb-24 18:56:57

I’d like to witness the first biting in to a Scotch Bonnet and know whether socks had been invented to be blown off at the same moment

SeaWoozle Sun 18-Feb-24 18:57:45

GrannyGravy13

To sit quietly in the corner and watch my paternal and maternal Grans having a good old natter, they were great friends and I miss them dearly.

My maternal Gran never got to see my children, my paternal Gran got to meet them all 😢

Only my eldest got to meet her paternal great grandmother, who died when eldest was 2 months old (now 26). So, if both my girls could go back in time and see what an amazing grandma she was, I'd love for that to happen. Not that I don't tell them anyway! For them to hear her laugh and see her crazy dress sense!

SeaWoozle Sun 18-Feb-24 18:59:15

Whethertomorrow

Thank you Seawoozle and what a fantastic name! I’m imagining all sorts of awesome sea creatures.

Hehe. Thank you too. I love the sea and one of our 'pet' names is Woozle. Aaaaawww! But if there should be a SeaWoozle out there I'd love to discover it X

JaneJudge Sun 18-Feb-24 19:03:50

I’d like to go back to a time when things were much simpler for people

Urmstongran Sun 18-Feb-24 19:15:43

I’d go back to when I was a child at junior school with my parents and little sister in our large rented house in Old Trafford. They were happy days. We were well loved. We played out in the street all the time. We all just ‘knocked on’ for one another. Hula hoops, roller skates, hopscotch chalked onto the pavement,, skipping ropes, (not a bike between us all - no-one could afford one), marbles ‘alleys’, practicing our handstands and cartwheels with our skirts tucked into our knickers. Happy Days, fond memories of innocent times - for us children anyway. I remember sunset evenings playing out till daddy came to call us in for bath time and bed. My goodness, 50 years ago. The blink of an eye.

SeaWoozle Sun 18-Feb-24 19:33:00

JaneJudge

I’d like to go back to a time when things were much simpler for people

But is that our perception that things were easier or do you really believe things were easier 'back then'. No judgement intended, I'm just curious as to when you think that might have been?

M0nica Sun 18-Feb-24 23:55:05

Nothing. The whole lifestyle, beliefs and living patterns would be so alien to me, in the same way that going forward would be - and inevitably it would be deeply disillusioning.

Reading the OP. I doubt Knitting happened in quite the way she envisaged. Like most things it probably very gradually evolved over 100 years or more, possible from ribbon or braid weaving

keepcalmandcavachon Mon 19-Feb-24 09:07:02

Gosh, I'd love to bring The Crystal Palace Great Exhibition of 1851 back to life for a day! The sunlight coming through that magnificent building, the excitement and wonder of all of the inventions and displays. Me in a bustle and bonnet!

yggdrasil Mon 19-Feb-24 13:39:40

I'd like to meet my father. He died when I was only 7 and I have only a few memories

SeaWoozle Mon 19-Feb-24 14:17:57

keepcalmandcavachon

Gosh, I'd love to bring The Crystal Palace Great Exhibition of 1851 back to life for a day! The sunlight coming through that magnificent building, the excitement and wonder of all of the inventions and displays. Me in a bustle and bonnet!

Oh yes, that would be wonderful. Just sliding between all the amazing sights and sounds, spotting people we may recognise from history - celebrities of their time. Wow.

TwiceAsNice Mon 19-Feb-24 16:31:49

I’d like to go back to Jerusalem and see Jesus preach

Doodledog Mon 19-Feb-24 16:35:52

I’d go to Stonehenge to see why it was built and what it was used for.

Re knitting - the Vikings did a form of yarncraft called Nailbinding which may have evolved into what we know as knitting.

Skye17 Mon 19-Feb-24 16:40:42

TwiceAsNice

I’d like to go back to Jerusalem and see Jesus preach

I would like that too. Preferably with a translator.

Skye17 Mon 19-Feb-24 16:43:30

I would love to go back to Elizabethan London to see Shakespeare and watch his company performing Othello or Hamlet. It would be great to see what London looked like too, and the food and clothes.

TwiceAsNice Mon 19-Feb-24 16:49:35

Skye 17 - yes definitely with a translator. I think Jesus would have been speaking Aramaic wouldnt he?

Moonwatcher1904 Mon 19-Feb-24 16:51:00

I did my family tree and I'd love to go back to my childhood home to find a document that was a job reference for my parents. It would've been dated in the 1930's where my dad was a chauffeur and my mum was the pastry cook. I wish I had that letter now to see where they were and who they worked for.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 19-Feb-24 16:53:37

Have you found them on the 1921 census?

MayBee70 Mon 19-Feb-24 16:56:17

keepcalmandcavachon

Me too. It saddens me that the building was destroyed. What a time of invention though.