Gransnet forums

Chat

Things left on the stairs

(46 Posts)
eddiecat78 Mon 19-Feb-24 09:30:19

From talking to friends it seems to be fairly common practice that if something needs taking upstairs you leave it on the bottom step ready to be taken up the next time you go. So why is it that OH frequently steps over the object without thinking to carry it up?
And, yes, he has just done it. Again.

Georgesgran Mon 19-Feb-24 09:38:48

My motto is ‘a journey upstairs empty handed, is a wasted journey’. Unfortunately, it appeared to apply to me only and it just fell on deaf ears, especially DH’s, who complained about stuff on the stairs. Now, DD1 seems to have adopted my motto in her house.

NotSpaghetti Mon 19-Feb-24 09:43:34

I often step over stuff on the stairs.
Once I've picked up whatever it us I have to put it somewhere else! grin

Sago Mon 19-Feb-24 09:45:27

When our 3 children were at home and we had a busy house I used to leave an old fashioned wicker basket at the bottom of the stairs, when it was full (daily) it was taken up.

SeaWoozle Mon 19-Feb-24 09:47:57

When we were children, my Mum was forever saying "if you're going upstairs, then take this" or leaving stuff at the bottom of the stairs. Fortunately we can't do that here as the stairs are too narrow with a sharp curve so it would fall down!

GrannyIvy Mon 19-Feb-24 09:49:28

Exactly I always say we have a fairy that does all these little things!! It’s like if something does not go in the dishwasher it is left on the side for the house fairy to wash and clear!! 😂😂

SheepyIzzy Mon 19-Feb-24 09:55:37

Dogs leave kongs on the stairs, (mum uses stairlift so she's ok) going up, I pick them up and chuck them On my bed, most times dogs grab them and have zoomies but if it's night, some times they don't bother and I have rolled onto a kong, they are the black indestructible ones so hard, have also rolled onto the Chihuahua but she moves in response and that always wakes me up! (First time she started to sleep with me I actually thought there was a rat in the bed as I felt something crawling up me, then her head appeared!) All the other dogs have always slept on the bed, alongside me, or across my legs, one has even pushed and pushed and I woke up once right On edge of bed, managed to get out, turned and looked and there was my big baby full stretch across the bed, fab dog she was! But I'm going off topic, apologies!

The other dog likes to sit middle of staircase and look at herself in mirror at bottom of stairs, she's very pretty and she knows it!

We also have big cans of peaches on the stairs, as when they were on offer (cheaper) at Lidl mum bought some to help her go. Easier to put there than on the rack that holds the tins.

TerriBull Mon 19-Feb-24 11:04:14

My previous house was 3 storeys, so that focused the mind of either taking something up or down. I still have that habit even though we're now in a 2 storey house. Loo rolls, soap, box of toothpaste etc all get left on stairs for upward transportation

PinkCosmos Mon 19-Feb-24 11:19:18

Mainly shoes. Bathroom stuff - toilet rolls, soap etc - when I have just been on a big shop.

I have never known DH pick any of it up and take it upstairs.

I think we also have a house fairy who clears up behind DH. She seems to have gone on strike a bit recently. I need to have a word hmm

Primrose53 Mon 19-Feb-24 11:21:52

I have one of those wicker stair baskets (shaped like a stair) where books, socks, anything for upstairs goes.

nanna8 Mon 19-Feb-24 11:28:15

I don’t leave anything actually on the stairs because I think one of us would trip over whatever it is and fall. Our stairs are divided into two, half way up there is a study off the side. What I do is throw stuff up to that floor area to be taken up later. Usually shoes and shopping bags ( our kitchen is on the ground floor)

shysal Mon 19-Feb-24 12:21:31

I have a basket at the bottom of the stairs and a shelf on the landing for just this purpose. The only thing that has not moved (I live alone) is the home insurance documents to be put in the deed box in the loft. They have been in the basket so long that the next year's is due next month! I hate going into the loft, which requires a wobbly stepladder!

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 19-Feb-24 13:01:23

Everyone knows that only mum/ grandma/ the lady of the house can carry things up from the bottom of the stairs. It to do with chromosomes apparently.

Grandma70s Mon 19-Feb-24 13:18:13

PinkCosmos

Mainly shoes. Bathroom stuff - toilet rolls, soap etc - when I have just been on a big shop.

I have never known DH pick any of it up and take it upstairs.

I think we also have a house fairy who clears up behind DH. She seems to have gone on strike a bit recently. I need to have a word hmm

I think the house fairy need to teach DH to clear up after himself. He’s not a child.

Doodledog Mon 19-Feb-24 13:25:36

Chocolatelovinggran

Everyone knows that only mum/ grandma/ the lady of the house can carry things up from the bottom of the stairs. It to do with chromosomes apparently.

grin
Is that why they are the only ones who can change loo rolls, too?

Visgir1 Mon 19-Feb-24 13:25:45

My mum told us as children and my dad if it's on the stairs never go up empty handed.
I have always done this too.. Only other thing I do is lob toilet rolls up the stairs at random, if you see them put in a bathroom please.

Purplepixie Mon 19-Feb-24 13:31:37

I was told never to put anything on the stairs when I was young but we did have gran living with us. Even now I hate anything left on the stairs because I know hubby will just step over it. Men!

Kim19 Mon 19-Feb-24 16:54:39

When ironing, I used to make separate piles of the laundry belonging to the three individual males and leave them on separate steps for their collection. One evening when nothing had disappeared I asked what was going on. Each one looked blank (aged 54, 15 & 11) and said they hadn't noticed anything. These were not small piles either, I ask you?!!

Musicgirl Mon 19-Feb-24 17:05:21

Primrose53

I have one of those wicker stair baskets (shaped like a stair) where books, socks, anything for upstairs goes.

So do l. I bought it from a charity shop some years ago and it is very useful.
I have long come to the conclusion that most men seem to have very different eyesight from women as they never seem to notice anything that needs to be taken upstairs without being told at least once.

JamesandJon33 Mon 19-Feb-24 17:08:14

I always put thing on the stairs ready to take up. As you say OP men step over them. Probably because they are not their’things’

Boz Mon 19-Feb-24 17:08:54

I have got very good at throwing stuff upstairs; works well with laundry in a soft bag and packs of toilet rolls. Not a 100% answer but it does help as men do tend to pass anything by!

keepingquiet Mon 19-Feb-24 17:14:02

I have two separate piles- my stuff and my son's stuff. I take up whichever is at the top- he sometimes takes stuff up but I can't guarantee where it will end up!

Jaffacake2 Mon 19-Feb-24 17:14:11

After the birth of my first child a rather older midwife said her words of wisdom.
" Never go upstairs or down stairs empty handed ! "
Weird logic ?!

annodomini Mon 19-Feb-24 17:51:47

In my last house, I have to admit that I used the stairs as a shoe rack. As I was usually the only occupant, I knew where to put my feet and never stumbled on the footwear. Now that I have no stairs, I make use of a shoe rack in the bottom of a cupboard.

HowVeryDareYou2 Mon 19-Feb-24 17:56:07

Jaffacake2

After the birth of my first child a rather older midwife said her words of wisdom.
" Never go upstairs or down stairs empty handed ! "
Weird logic ?!

I do that