Gransnet forums

Chat

Lyle’s golden syrup tin to have lion logo removed

(155 Posts)
Primrose53 Tue 20-Feb-24 09:19:05

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1868440/lyles-golden-syrum-victim-wokeism

Just saw this on TV. I have a tin in my cupboard and will keep it for ever now.

I can vividly remember the day our teacher at primary school told us the story of Samson and the dead lion on the tin with bees buzzing around him.

Our little school had just 3 classrooms. I was in the middle room so it must have been about 1961/62. It was a sunny day and our teacher stood with his back to the window. The sun shone in over his head and I could see trees in the background. He held up a tin of the syrup which he had borrowed from our school kitchen and pointed out the lion. He then told us the story and I remember telling my Mum about it when I went home.

Now it’s going because it may offend some snowflakes and we are having just a lion’s face that looks like a cartoon instead.

Auntieflo Tue 20-Feb-24 09:21:48

I wonder when and where, all this 'woke' stupidity will end?

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 20-Feb-24 09:23:48

Bit of a sticky subject...

Mollygo Tue 20-Feb-24 09:27:10

keepcalmandcavachon

Bit of a sticky subject...

🤣🤣🤣

Parsley3 Tue 20-Feb-24 09:30:13

Removing the depiction of a rotting corpse from a foodstuff is a good thing.

Oldnproud Tue 20-Feb-24 09:32:14

Are you sure it is being changed "because it may offend some snowflakes", or through "woke stupidity", or could it just be that its American makers want something more up-to-date, as all brands do from time to time?

Redhead56 Tue 20-Feb-24 09:33:35

Well “woke” is here to stay it’s never going to end. I have my golden syrup and black treacle tins in the cupboard they won’t go anywhere until I do! My cakes and desserts and black bread will never taste the same without them.

Ilovecheese Tue 20-Feb-24 09:45:51

Parsley3

Removing the depiction of a rotting corpse from a foodstuff is a good thing.

Quite so.

Witzend Tue 20-Feb-24 09:54:48

Sacrilege!
Mind you so is Golden Syrup in a plastic bottle IMO - dh once got a bit of a mouthful for buying that instead of GS in a Proper Tin!
As least you can get the last remains out of a tin.

Chestnut Tue 20-Feb-24 09:59:08

I'm rather surprised the dead lion lasted this long actually. Brands do evolve over time and many have changed (Snap, Crackle and Pop) or been lost, like the Robinson' Gollie.

I have mixed feelings about the lion. On the one hand I agree that it's a traditional image that we associate with the brand, but it is a pretty horrible image after all. I can understand modern consumers not liking it, especially if they don't appreciate the story. I would say keep your tins and cherish them.

On reflection, would bees actually make a hive in a stinking, rotting corpse? I've never heard of that. I thought they made hives in trees or wooden structures.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 20-Feb-24 10:04:53

I expect it will rocket in price...new and improved blah blah.

I wonder what their sales are like? My tin is very very old. Not a frequent purchase!!!

And I shall keep it. Tis vintage almost.

Greenfinch Tue 20-Feb-24 10:07:15

I never look closely at the tin although I am obviously aware of the lion logo. I just enjoy the contents ! grin

HelterSkelter1 Tue 20-Feb-24 10:08:16

Dsmn too late I must have decluttered it! As well as the treacle tin. Both very sticky I expect. If they are still on the shelves I will ask my DD to take a pic.

Spinnaker Tue 20-Feb-24 10:09:10

So pleased I bought this teapot many years ago

ixion Tue 20-Feb-24 10:10:48

The lion reduced me to tears as a small child.
We had to have the tin turned away from me at the table.

Redhead56 Tue 20-Feb-24 10:25:19

When I was a child I was too busy putting a spoon in the tin to even notice the detail on the tin. It was green and gold and contained delicious contents the same as tinned condensed milk. I just about have teeth left to prove my sweet tooth!

HelterSkelter1 Tue 20-Feb-24 10:32:33

Love the teapot. I suppose looking closely now at the pot, the picture is a bit macabre. Now we are seeing dead elephants, gorillas and rhinos all the time on the TV.

I can understand your tears ixion as a child.

SeaWoozle Tue 20-Feb-24 10:38:02

Nothing "woke" about removing a dead lion from a tin. Don't buy Tate and Lyle products anyway due to how they exploit sugar cane workers in Belize.
Look it up, it's very interesting. Lots of Tory donors. Awful company.

Caleo Tue 20-Feb-24 10:46:04

When I was taught the story of 'Out Of the Strong Came Forth Sweetness' I never understood how strength is always good.

However now I am older and have more experience I know that it is wrong to teach children that strength and power are good because this belief justifies political dictatorship, and other forms of bullying.

To glorify power was okay for an ancient nomadic tribe . However it's unsuited to civilised modern political standards

Freya5 Tue 20-Feb-24 12:10:22

Caleo

When I was taught the story of 'Out Of the Strong Came Forth Sweetness' I never understood how strength is always good.

However now I am older and have more experience I know that it is wrong to teach children that strength and power are good because this belief justifies political dictatorship, and other forms of bullying.

To glorify power was okay for an ancient nomadic tribe . However it's unsuited to civilised modern political standards

Due to Samson killing the lion, that is where the strength comes from. So not glorifying power as such, just the defeat of something that would kill you without a second glance.

eazybee Tue 20-Feb-24 12:26:39

What! No!
So glad I washed out my golden syrup tin; one to keep.
Not those awful plastic bottles, please.

Luckygirl3 Tue 20-Feb-24 12:31:00

I never realised that the lion was dead - but I have always been very short-sighted.

It is sad to think of all those thousands of upset American children having been deeply traumatised all these years .... truly heartbreaking ...... grin

Greenfinch Tue 20-Feb-24 12:39:06

I believe the traditional golden syrup tin is to be excluded from the rebranded image of a lion’s head with a single bee.

Elrel Tue 20-Feb-24 12:55:48

One of my early memories aged about4 was asking my grandfather about the picture. I’ve always thought his (clear and accurate) explanation was very odd. I wish I hadn’t just emptied and recycled a black treacle tin but intend to save the golden syrup tin.

rockgran Tue 20-Feb-24 13:30:41

Always thought it was a bit grim - I'm surprised it didn't disappear sooner.