Gransnet forums

Chat

Addicted to Facebook

(77 Posts)
Puzzlelove Sun 25-Feb-24 17:19:12

I check my Facebook many, many times during the day. I belong to several groups so I like to see what’s going on. I’ve now decided that I need to limit how much time I spend on it, decided to log in once a day. Any others have the same issue?

BlueBelle Sun 25-Feb-24 17:27:56

No I don’t count
If its cold wet and I ve not much to do then yes I ll check if I m busy out and about I don’t
No big deal

crazyH Sun 25-Feb-24 17:34:09

I belong to a couple of groups, but the only one I check about twice a day is my hometown group, just to see what my old friends are up to - we are all in different parts of the world and that’s an easy way to keep in touch with one another - I love it

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 25-Feb-24 17:34:20

I don’t belong to FB. I think you may be suffering from FOMO (fear of missing out). Just keep to your strategy of only once a day.

Kate1949 Sun 25-Feb-24 17:35:11

No. I'm not on Facebook.

fancythat Sun 25-Feb-24 17:38:43

I never understand the concept of FOMO.
I dont understand the basics of it.
I have probably FOMOed most things!
I dont even know what I have missed,

Theexwife Sun 25-Feb-24 17:48:16

I expect there are people that check gransnet many times in a day, I know that when I check the same people have posted whatever time of day it is so must be on here all day every day. Social media is addictive.

Curtaintwitcher Sun 25-Feb-24 17:52:11

Not Facebook itself, no, but I do have a garden on Fairyland, which I do check several times a day. Mind you, I'm not alone as thousands of people play it.

Blossoming Sun 25-Feb-24 17:52:36

I have found FB useful and have used it for many years. Originally it was to keep in touch with colleagues scattered around the globe. I became involved with a disability charity and their FB group and made many friends, both online and in real life. When you are unable to travel it’s a good way of keeping in touch. I’m not really an addict though, I don’t spend hours on it.

rubysong Sun 25-Feb-24 18:00:27

I enjoy fb and am on several groups. It is very useful for local things, lost dogs, trees down, floods etc. Also for advertising events, coffee mornings, Christmas tree festival etc. The adverts are a nuisance but I scroll past quickly.

SeaWoozle Sun 25-Feb-24 18:09:27

I have a FB account and before we moved today Wales nearly three years ago I was on it ALL the time. As a result, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't go on it once we'd moved. And I didn't. I've just started again but have kept a very strict limit and as soon as I feel myself "doomscrolling" I'll switch it off. I'm only on it now, ironically, as we're moving on and have used it to make new links to where we're going. Once we're there then maybe I'll stop again. I don't care what folk have had for dinner and if the only way I get to communicate with people is via FB (distant family excepted) then is it/are they really worth it? They know where I am and VV.

As for GN. I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago and I could be guilty of scrolling through it/posting more than I should/need to. Though I am reaching the point of taking a step back because it's really hurting having to bite my tongue all the time 😛😁🤗

MissInterpreted Sun 25-Feb-24 18:11:28

I admit to being an addict. I'm a member of numerous FB groups, and an admin on several. I'm a bit of a news junkie too, so I also admit to checking various news feeds and things like X (formerly known as Twitter, lol!) several times a day.

keepingquiet Sun 25-Feb-24 18:11:55

Not any more- now I find it boring, but now I have to break my addiction to Gransnet and Youtube! Help!

Louella12 Sun 25-Feb-24 18:17:38

I probably was on FB longer than I should have been . But it's really had its day now .

However I now have Tiktok where I spend far too long . It's a myriad of anything and everything . Totally compelling and very addictive.

I used to think it was for teens consisting of silly dances and nonsense.

I was wrong.

VioletSky Sun 25-Feb-24 18:17:52

Theexwife

I expect there are people that check gransnet many times in a day, I know that when I check the same people have posted whatever time of day it is so must be on here all day every day. Social media is addictive.

Lol!

SeaWoozle Sun 25-Feb-24 18:23:20

Louella12

I probably was on FB longer than I should have been . But it's really had its day now .

However I now have Tiktok where I spend far too long . It's a myriad of anything and everything . Totally compelling and very addictive.

I used to think it was for teens consisting of silly dances and nonsense.

I was wrong.

I have TikTok too. But another reason to sit and do B all for an hour. No longer have a Twitter account as I (along with a couple of others) got mass reported by a gang of hooligan racists. But I was ultimately glad about that as it didn't always bring out the best in me! 🤣🤣

Maggiemaybe Sun 25-Feb-24 18:23:26

Well I do check it out several times a day, but looking at updates only takes a minute or two each time. I’m a member of a few groups that interest me - local history, old girls’ memories group from school, a couple from places where I used to live. And the local group - the best way I know of keeping up with what’s going on. The days of posting holiday pics and checking out where others have been are long gone, so no FOMO here.

Thoro Sun 25-Feb-24 18:32:18

I go on fb quite a bit. I find some of the specific health support groups really helpful both for information and to not feel alone with my issues.

Birthto110 Sun 25-Feb-24 20:03:37

Spend a fair amount of time on groups on fbk. Eg I am on a closed private support group for people who have experienced similar traumatic circumstances in life, and it has been invaluable in forging friendships and for sharing helpful links and events/get-togethers (and in a safe space) .
I also belong to some campaigning groups on fbk - and they host events /fundraising etc
Also crafting groups.
We also have a 'extended family ' group- cousins etc who we're close to but (due to the barrier of distance) we unfortunately rarely get a chance to see, so it's good to keep up with family events from afar.
Love photography groups too- I personally know a couple o artists and photographers who share their work on fbk and it's just a joy to see.

sodapop Sun 25-Feb-24 20:05:13

Don't bite your tongue SeaWoozle ( great name) sock it to us smile

Casdon Sun 25-Feb-24 20:16:55

I’m on Facebook, but I really only use it for community news, gardening and my cocker spaniel group. As a family and with friends we communicate via messenger though, so I’m on that very frequently. Gransnet is my only other online vice, and I dip in for a few minutes a few times a day, when I’m drinking my coffee normally. How frequently depends on if there’s a thread I’m interested in or not really - and what I’m putting off doing, so if you see my name a lot on some days it’s because I should be cleaning the cooker, or a similarly unenticing task, I’m a procrastination queen.

flappergirl Sun 25-Feb-24 20:32:12

I only use Facebook for work. I do like Gransnet in the evening though, obviously!

Marydoll Sun 25-Feb-24 20:39:03

I am rarely on it. I only joined because I was IT co-ordinator in my school and pupils, who were under age, were opening fake accounts and causing trouble.
The only way to contact Facebook and get the accounts removed was by joining!

I don't really get it!

Nannylovesshopping Sun 25-Feb-24 21:11:53

Not on Facebook, none of my family are, we seem to be the odd balls!

Primrose53 Sun 25-Feb-24 22:45:36

I went on FB long after most of my friends and only because I was organising a school reunion and for that it was very useful and saved a lot of time.

I am now admin on a local site so have to check it at least twice a day as it’s very busy. Then I get tempted to look at other stuff but I am not addicted as I can go away on holiday and don’t even take my IPad and don’t miss it at all.

There was a great post on FB today

LIFE IS TOO SHORT

So don’t forget to spend lots of time on Facebook arguing about politics with complete strangers!!

🤣🤣🤣