Gransnet forums

Chat

‘Embellished’ Memories……I have!

(5 Posts)
Kateykrunch Fri 01-Mar-24 14:56:54

Some years ago, well a lot of years ago a hilly road nearby had an Escape Lane installed (for runaway lorries if their brakes failed on the hill, it had deep gravel at the end). FACT…once complete, as we drove past there was a car in the deep gravel and 2 people sat in folding garden chairs having a picnic!
I found this hilarious and have told this story many times over the years (scroll on if I am boring you). FICTION…when passing it again yesterday, the memory came to me of this incident, BUT in my minds eye, I saw the car, a picnic table, parasol, 4 folding chairs, 4 people and full picnic set out on the table! I actually had to confer with hubby to clarify….”was there a table and parasol”…..errr, no.
Just made me think about false memory syndrome and also thought it might make you smile.

AlwaysSmiling Fri 01-Mar-24 15:10:13

I totally agree, I sometimes wonder if we see our past lives through Rose coloured glasses.

I was only speaking to our granddaughter the other day about my late husband's and my past when we were her age, 18 years old in the early 60's. I remembered going out in the summer with just my floral summer dress and a cardigan over my arm wearing 4 ins heels and my then boyfriend (who became my husband) in his dark suit, white shirt and tie, wearing Chelsea boots. I do not remember it ever raining in the summer, I do remember the terrible winters when snow was up to our knees but never remember rain in the summer, it was always hot and sunny. So perhaps I have embelished memories of our past.

Kateykrunch Sat 02-Mar-24 11:10:05

AlwaysSmiling

I totally agree, I sometimes wonder if we see our past lives through Rose coloured glasses.

I was only speaking to our granddaughter the other day about my late husband's and my past when we were her age, 18 years old in the early 60's. I remembered going out in the summer with just my floral summer dress and a cardigan over my arm wearing 4 ins heels and my then boyfriend (who became my husband) in his dark suit, white shirt and tie, wearing Chelsea boots. I do not remember it ever raining in the summer, I do remember the terrible winters when snow was up to our knees but never remember rain in the summer, it was always hot and sunny. So perhaps I have embelished memories of our past.

Thats a lovely memory to have even if ‘embellished’.

RosiesMaw Sat 02-Mar-24 11:13:18

“Recollections may vary” tcrgrin

ginny Sat 02-Mar-24 11:28:02

I think that memories are altered or embellished each time we think of them.
The same occasion can certainly be remembered differently by different people.
I have 3 DDs and their recollections of childhood events often vary from mine.
We all see things from our own perspective.