Gransnet forums

Chat

Daily Mail - disgraceful article

(65 Posts)
eddiecat78 Tue 05-Mar-24 07:35:20

Daily Mail's leading article online today is a detailed piece on Dave Myers' "huge fortune".
Why on earth would anyone think this is appropriate?

YorkLady Tue 05-Mar-24 07:45:15

My thoughts were the same too.
Why on earth does it matter how much he was financially worth? We are valued as a person not wealth.
Daily Mail showing its true colours this morning!
Think I will finally stop viewing it!!!

Casdon Tue 05-Mar-24 07:50:10

Money is not your priority when you’re dying of cancer, and of no consolation to his family now - so why upset them further and print this, particularly so close to his death. Horrible.

Iam64 Tue 05-Mar-24 08:05:39

I saw the headline, chose not to read the article. When my husband died, our local paper carried an article about his many contributions to our town and his loving family and friends. The journalist contacted me via one of the community groups he supported and asked if I’d be willing to be interviewed for their commemorative piece. The article was front page - look said my 5 year old grandchild, there’s grandad on the paper. I’d have been devastated if instead of commemorating a lovely man, they’d have snooped into our finances. Cheap and nasty daily mail

Joseann Tue 05-Mar-24 08:10:38

I agree. No sense of occasion.

Esmay Tue 05-Mar-24 08:53:20

I felt very angry when I read the article .
How insensitive .
Dave Myers , a much loved man has only just died and his family and friends are grieving for him .
I thought that it was a vast fortune - it isn't .
What is the journalist trying to imply ?
It's none of our business .
I knew someone , whose health was wrecked by sleazy , untrue speculation due to articles in a local rag .

Cossy Tue 05-Mar-24 08:56:47

Absolutely awful, which is why we haven’t read this paper for several years!

DanniRae Tue 05-Mar-24 09:39:42

I gave up on it too Cossy and never went back!

Nannylovesshopping Tue 05-Mar-24 09:45:08

Absolutely agree, none of anyone’s business, disgraceful so called journalism, the family must be outraged!

Grandmadinosaur Tue 05-Mar-24 09:57:59

Really disgraceful,insensitive journalism. Who is interested in how much money the man has. I’m sure he would swap it all to be still with us today. Shame on you DM.

Doodledog Tue 05-Mar-24 10:01:52

'Daily Mail - disgraceful article' is like saying 'Coals found in Newcastle' or 'Pope is Catholic shocker'.

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Mar-24 10:03:52

Oh dear.
His family does not deserve this.

And RIP means rest in peace.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 05-Mar-24 10:16:34

TheDaily Mail is a rag and not a newspaper. Wikipedia doesn’t class it as a news paper as it only 30% news. Before the Second World War it supported the black shirts according to an old thirties newsreel my dh was watching a week or so ago. It led a daily support for Brexit which was when I stopped buying the Saturday edition for the tv prgrammes. It wants to appear popular and spells out their “cause” for the masses to follow.

25Avalon Tue 05-Mar-24 10:23:55

Of course he had money after all those programmes and books and I don’t reckon Dave was the kind to spend money on expensive frivolous things. He came across as an ordinary bloke, and a lovely one at that, who hadn’t forgotten his working class roots. I was surprise by the DM’s headlines so soon after his death and think it crass and insensitive. Usually you don’t hear how much money someone left until probate has been granted. So much to listening to Si’s request to let the family grieve in private and peace.

Sarnia Tue 05-Mar-24 10:33:32

Nobody's business except for Dave Myers family. Shame on the DM.

Eloethan Tue 05-Mar-24 10:50:15

Well, what do you expect from the Daily Mail.

foxie48 Tue 05-Mar-24 11:07:56

I expect the Daily Mail to print what it thinks it's readers want, it's why I never read it.

Labradora Tue 05-Mar-24 12:59:48

Full disclosure I haven't read the Article in the DM but from the tone of the posts already made it sounds as if the late Hairy Biker's wealth(if "wealth" is accurate) is presented in a spirit of criticism.
This is, at this juncture , not only tasteless and offensive to everyone that loved him but also ,as everyone has said, something he would no doubt swap to be still here.
In any event if he made good money or a "pile" so what ? He made the most of his talents and his opportunities so good luck to him.
RIP Dave.

Freya5 Tue 05-Mar-24 13:38:02

Well well,in the Independant also.

Casdon Tue 05-Mar-24 13:41:57

Not sure what point you’re making Freya5, it’s equally abhorrent to publish information like this straight after somebody has died anywhere, surely?

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 05-Mar-24 13:49:19

The Daily Fail is a mere comic and deserves to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Ziplok Tue 05-Mar-24 13:55:43

Whatever Dave’s monetary wealth was is of no business to anyone outside his immediate family. Shame on the DM and any other newspaper who thinks it is.

Iam64 Tue 05-Mar-24 14:02:03

Ladyleftfieldlover

The Daily Fail is a mere comic and deserves to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

And - I’ve long believed if it was closed down for even six months, our country would be a much more positive place to live in.
It feeds misery and bigotry

Freya5 Tue 05-Mar-24 14:10:01

Casdon

Not sure what point you’re making Freya5, it’s equally abhorrent to publish information like this straight after somebody has died anywhere, surely?

Not making any "point", just saying where else I've seen it, I only flick through the papers, or is that not allowed now.
No I don't really care how much the poor man had, celebrity's will always be the centre of gossip. Banks are governed by a very strong confidentiality clause, whoever leaked this to the press must be held responsible for their actions.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 05-Mar-24 14:10:04

To repeat posts above...it's the Daily Mail what do you expect? Proper journalism?
It's a vicious comic and that's denigrating decent comics. Beano Dandy et al.