Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this the end of NT scones as we know them?

(52 Posts)
RosiesMaw Tue 02-Apr-24 05:36:40

It’s always been a moot point in our family whether the point of NT stately home visits was 1) the culture and history, 2) the gift shop or 3) the tea room.
Funnily it was often 3) that was remembered most fondly.
But no more?
From todays DT
THE National Trust has sparked intense debate among visitors over its scones – and it’s not about whether jam or cream comes first. Instead, controversy has arisen over the charity’s decision to make them vegan to accommodate dietary needs and for people with dairy allergies
They are not like traditional ones … they are flatter, drier and have an unappealing texture’” “Some have complained that the scones, served across its 280 cafes, taste like “dry biscuits” said Maude Newby, a 64-year-old long-time National Trust member, from Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk, : “I can’t stand the taste of the new scones. They are not like traditional ones at all – they are flatter, drier and have an unappealing texture .”
Sir Bill Cash, the Conservative MP for Stone, who often has tea and scones in the House of Commons, also told the newspaper: “It makes me wonder what will happen next – will they stop selling Madeira cake because of historical events in Madeira?
There’s far too much wokery going on at the National Trust, this is just the latest example

RosiesMaw Tue 02-Apr-24 05:37:19

SCONES -dammit!

HelterSkelter1 Tue 02-Apr-24 06:04:56

I did wonder what the poinr would be of the end of scenes at the National Theatre.
But the end of proper scones at the National Trust!! Who on earth decided that?

LucyAnna Tue 02-Apr-24 06:23:47

This is an April Fools joke, surely? We had scones in a local NT tearoom recently and the scones were just as they have been for years - and very light and tasty too. They have been animal fat free for years. Something and nothing.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/apr/01/national-trust-defends-vegan-scone-recipe-after-wokery-criticism

karmalady Tue 02-Apr-24 06:31:38

and that is why I make my own fluffy scones using lovely real butter

Grandmabatty Tue 02-Apr-24 06:31:43

The recipe apparently hasn't changed for years. There seems to be a concerted effort by MSM to criticise the National Trust perhaps led by the group who keep trying to take it over?

LucyAnna Tue 02-Apr-24 06:37:48

Grandmabatty

The recipe apparently hasn't changed for years. There seems to be a concerted effort by MSM to criticise the National Trust perhaps led by the group who keep trying to take it over?

This

Grammaretto Tue 02-Apr-24 06:51:49

I think it has got to be April 1st.
Worry not RosiesMaw
The NT knows where its bread's scones buttered.

nanna8 Tue 02-Apr-24 08:26:10

I thought NT= Northern Territory! Wondering if they had stopped afternoon teas.

MaizieD Tue 02-Apr-24 09:29:26

This is complete nonsense. If it weren't from the Telegraph I'd think it was an April fool.

Scones have been made with margarine for decades with no ill effect on taste or texture. Margarine, made with plant based oils, is cheaper than butter and extensively used in the catering industry.
The lightness and texture of the scone is more dependent on the raising agent used than the fat it contains.

This isn't a serious story...

Churchview Tue 02-Apr-24 09:47:07

You would think that MPs like Bill Cash would have more important things to worry about than making up complete nonsense about National Trust scones.

annodomini Tue 02-Apr-24 11:10:10

Some of the worst scones I ever encountered were in a NT coffee shop -not the main restaurant - in Cheshire. They were dry and flat, and definitely not up to their usual standard.

Notsoold27 Tue 02-Apr-24 14:59:28

I can’t bear the queues in National trust cafes. Would take my own scones with me I think lol

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 15:14:22

nanna8

🤣🤣🤣

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 15:19:56

nanna8

Ps Australia just doesn't know about clotted cream! The scones can be lovely but served with whipped, or even worse, squirty cream, no, no, no. I even asked about it on a tour of a dairy once, they looked at me blankly.

If I was a bit younger I'd start up a dairy producing clotted cream over there!

Anyway, back to the National Trust. We're not members at the moment but perhaps we ought to spend the summer on a scone-tasting tour.
Jam first, of course.
No dried fruit unless they're just buttered.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 15:22:51

Here's all the lowdown on NT scones, but it is from 2023:

www.nationaltrustscones.com/

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 15:26:22

www.nationaltrustscones.com/2023/03/best-national-trust-scones-2013-2023.html

Scones could change over the years of course 😁

GrannyIvy Tue 02-Apr-24 15:34:46

What about the sausage rolls. In our local one they are a choice of vegan or pork apple and stuffing with a big price increase. No just pork sausage roll now🤷‍♀️ and queues are horrendous so we no longer bother!

PamelaJ1 Tue 02-Apr-24 16:42:25

It could have started as a cost cutting exercise, butter costs more than marg. It is real food as opposed to UPF so will be more expensive.
I must have eaten about 3 NT scones over the last year so I don’t suppose that the marg will have done me any harm, I don’t use it at home though.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 16:59:06

PamelaJ1

It could have started as a cost cutting exercise, butter costs more than marg. It is real food as opposed to UPF so will be more expensive.
I must have eaten about 3 NT scones over the last year so I don’t suppose that the marg will have done me any harm, I don’t use it at home though.

I could use best butter, most expensive flour etc but I still can't make flippin' scones.
They taste ok but are wonky, crumbly and not fit to be served in polite company.
Even the NT wouldn't employ me as a scone-maker.

Rosie51 Tue 02-Apr-24 17:07:32

Callistemon wash your mouth out grin the cream is a butter substitute so of course it goes on first. Devon rules! And as for sandwiching the two halves together as in the book cover. Never! Each half must be enjoyed separately (double the cream and double the jam)

www.devonheaven.co.uk/products/medium-cream-tea?

eazybee Tue 02-Apr-24 17:56:25

I would think this would be the end of the NT tearooms, which are very poor value for money and frequently messy, untidy and with poor service.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 02-Apr-24 18:13:48

Fortunately the tea room at our local National Trust property isn’t run by the NT. we had scones there last week and they were delicious. Jam first, cream second.

Desdemona Tue 02-Apr-24 18:20:28

eazybee

I would think this would be the end of the NT tearooms, which are very poor value for money and frequently messy, untidy and with poor service.

Agree that the prices are extortionate and the staff quite often indifferent.

Witzend Tue 02-Apr-24 18:47:52

I’ve only ever had a cheese scone at a NT cafe - never again! If it had even been shown a bit of cheese, that was it.