Gransnet forums

Christmas

Gransnet's virtual Christmas party - everyone's invited

(144 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Dec-18 15:30:19

We've dusted off the baubles, stocked up on bubbly and mince pies, and will be putting up the tree tomorrow. All in preparation for the annual online Gransnet Christmas Party. Although we may have to replenish the tins of chocolates (someone has demolished the lot 👀). tchwink

We know that for many reasons, some of you might be spending the festive season on your own, so if that's the case, or if you simply find a spare minute on the day and fancy popping in to celebrate, please do.

There'll be a welcome mulled wine from HQ, some cheesy Christmas jokes, and loads of good wishes from fellow gransnetters. tchsmile

EDIT: We've even got The Gransnet Playlist sorted thanks to your suggestions. So feel free to have this on high volume while you dance around the kitchen.

ninathenana Thu 06-Dec-18 15:55:05

partyparty

Mapleleaf Thu 06-Dec-18 16:10:07

Sounds super. party

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Dec-18 16:20:17

We’re definitely getting into the spirit at HQ. Reserve judgement on the decor - we’ve decided the tackier the better tchgrin Love to see pics of everyone else’s decor!

Brunette10 Thu 06-Dec-18 16:43:25

party - wonderful!

Buffybee Thu 06-Dec-18 17:10:01

Is that you in the Santa suit Lara? grin

annodomini Thu 06-Dec-18 17:13:39

Mmm! I can just about smell the mulled wine in anticipation!

DanniRae Thu 06-Dec-18 17:17:19

Oh, it sounds fantastic. I'll try and pop in partyparty

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Dec-18 17:23:03

Buffybee It may as well be after all the Quality Streets I've been scoffing this week. tchgrin All in the name of research obviously. Not sure if my dance moves are quite as impressive but after a few mulled wines, who knows...?!

Marthjolly1 Thu 06-Dec-18 17:28:18

Oooh I do love a mulled wine. Thank you for the invite. I'm sure I'll be able to drop by. tchsmile

Rufus2 Fri 07-Dec-18 08:29:58

but after a few mulled wines, who knows
Lara; if we get more than "a few" we won't even notice, or care! tchgrin Lean on Buffy to bring lots of her Taquila "Surprises"; I can bring along some non-cheesy, non-Christmasy jokes! tchblush
Please save me a seat; hoping to be able to sit by then! Where is it and when?

Teetime Fri 07-Dec-18 09:31:38

I have nothing to wear! Must go shopping.

EllanVannin Fri 07-Dec-18 09:31:43

Sounds good to me.smile

MWinfield Fri 07-Dec-18 10:05:55

Great idea for people on their own, but where is HQ?

Marian

Noname Fri 07-Dec-18 10:21:45

Don’t think it really matters Marian, you can attend whoever you are! 🎅🏻🥂

Pittcity Fri 07-Dec-18 10:27:38

DH is in the garage now. I'll get him to get down the ancient box of tinsel.🤶🎅

grannysue05 Fri 07-Dec-18 10:46:50

Count me in.

mancgirl Fri 07-Dec-18 11:25:00

I was in charge of music and dancing last year. As we had so much fun please can I do it again?! tchsmile

vickya Fri 07-Dec-18 11:57:59

I love mince pies and make a very nice chocolate cake. I'll bring both.Thank you I'd love to come at some point in the day. So nice to to have to drive there. I can drink the mulled wine!

vickya Fri 07-Dec-18 11:58:48

Ooops. Nice NOT to have to drive. I haven't started on the wine yet, honest!

Bellanonna Fri 07-Dec-18 12:36:20

I’ll come too

Barmeyoldbat Fri 07-Dec-18 12:43:32

Will put on my best dress and Christmas earrings for the occasion. Look forward to the mulled wine and mince pies.

Patticake123 Fri 07-Dec-18 12:45:08

Just don’t let me near to the mince pies, I cannot resist. Do I need to dress up or will smart casual be OK?🌲🎄🤶🏻

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 07-Dec-18 13:07:20

Dress code is the glitzier the better. Basically as close to a Christmas decoration as possible. tchgrin
ooh, thank you vickya, your chocolate cake sounds delicious.
mancgirl - yes, great idea! Let us know what's on your playlist, maybe everyone can put in requests grin

vickya Fri 07-Dec-18 13:36:47

It's my mum's Sacher Torte type. She was Viennese.
6 oz of SR flour, caster sugar,butter and 3 eggs. If you want it bigger 4 eggs and 8 oz of the other ingredients. They weigh the same as the eggs. A gleich gewiecht cake.

Also cocoa , tot of rum, 3 tablespoons water. Bar of Bournville to ice it. Apricot jam.

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time with 2 oz flour(sifted). Stir the eggs and flour in. Sift in cocoa and add rum and water.
Bake in tin whose bottom comes out so you can get it out later, medium oven, 175 electric? 45 minutes and check with skewer if done. Is done when skewer is clean.
Slice in half when cool and put jam in middle and all over top and sides. Melt chocolate and pour all over. Serve with whipped cream.

DillyLavender Fri 07-Dec-18 13:37:05

I will definitely be dropping in and will bring some cava or prosecco and orange juice for some bucks fizz

vickya Fri 07-Dec-18 13:37:36

Oh 3 tablespoons cocoa. And 8oz bar of Bourneville.

mancgirl Fri 07-Dec-18 13:50:20

Well, I'm a 60's girl so playlist will include lots of fab music from arguably the best music decade ever, so expect all your favourite tunes, including tamla and Northern soul. For the not so energetic, I'm a fan of dancing in your chair too! Let's party! Ps. Think you'll all be relieved I'm not in charge of foodblush

Bellanonna Fri 07-Dec-18 13:54:09

Oh now I’ve seen the dress code Lara I don’t think I’ve got anything suitable. Wonder if Marydoll would lend me one of her Argy outfits? I’d need time to get it dry cleaned first. Mary D? 🤔

Marydoll Fri 07-Dec-18 14:02:40

Absolutely no problem, Bella. I have no use for them now that I am "expecting".
However, I would advise wearing thermals, they are a tad SKIMPY, to say the least. grin.

libra10 Fri 07-Dec-18 14:13:59

Sounds great. I'll bring the Baileys!

Day6 Fri 07-Dec-18 15:40:34

Oh I'm in! Thanks!

My paper hat remains on my head throughout December, and I am cranking up the old steam-powered record player..although Alexa is at your command for tunes of choice! tchsmile

Granless Fri 07-Dec-18 15:43:07

I don’t like parties - am the shy but not miserable type. 😊
All enjoy what will be a super party.

Day6 Fri 07-Dec-18 15:44:52

Oooh, mancgirl, a woman after my own heart, music wise. I am 'out on the floor' already. tchgrin

And no, not conked out!

But it's early days, heh heh!

annsixty Fri 07-Dec-18 15:45:20

I have 3 litres of SloeGin "brewing" does anyone else like it?

mancgirl Fri 07-Dec-18 16:39:53

Out on the Floor one of the first ones*Day 6* . Sure to get everyone up dancing - hey, hey, hey,!!

Bellanonna Fri 07-Dec-18 16:53:40

Ooh thanks marydoll. Yes me thermals will be very much on. Think we all need to keep an eye on you, make sure you stick with the soft drinks only. Bet you’re regretting “things” now (iPad typed thongs just then. It must know you) 😀

Barbs1 Fri 07-Dec-18 16:59:25

Def count me in - I’ll be on my own Christmas Day this year!

anitamp1 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:23:14

Perhaps we could all take time on the day to post a little joke or even a little puzzle to amuse those who are alone or having a sad Christmas.

labazs1964 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:57:59

ill provide some ceiling decorations nothing like some tacky foil decorations!

nonnasusie Fri 07-Dec-18 19:03:03

I'm sure DH will donate a bottle of homemade limoncello!!

NanKate Fri 07-Dec-18 19:14:05

Yes I will pop in on Xmas Day even though I think it will be pretty chaotic with a 73, 44, 7 and 5 year old, and myself a mere 72.

I can offer some choc liqueurs, this will stop me filling my face with them. 🤐

SparklyGrandma Sat 08-Dec-18 01:38:04

Yes, having a solitary though hopefully chocolate- fuelled Christmas this year...

moggie57 Sat 08-Dec-18 01:57:47

you will see me boxing day.

Rufus2 Sat 08-Dec-18 07:53:03

post a little joke
Anita; definitely not a "shaggy dog" joke then? I've already offered non-cheesy ones, but no takers so far! tchgrin

nanasam Sat 08-Dec-18 10:42:27

I haven't been to one of your parties before. Are there any rules? I'm happy to bring some pigs in blankets if you think they will go down well. I made 2 bottles of sloe gin in September, one for this year (if it was ready) and one for next. This year's is so good I'm pretty sure the second one won't last until next year (well, maybe until January 1st)! I can bring that for you to try. It sounds so exciting, I hope you let me come party

Rufus2 Sat 08-Dec-18 12:44:47

spending the festive season on your own
Unfortunately I've misread my invitation, but now I see it's going to be a glorified "Hens' Party" and there I was thinking ahead to roast turkey, plum pud and all the trimmings, including of course our favourite, lashings of bread sauce! I was even going to offer to take on the
traditional role of Grandad as Chief Carver! Oh well! Not to be! Dream on! sad Happy Yuletide!

NanKate Sat 08-Dec-18 15:22:43

I am sure you would be welcome Rufus we had such fun at your birthday party. I’m happy to be in charge of the Xmas music. I especially like ‘Santa is coming to town’ by Elvis.

NanKate Sat 08-Dec-18 15:25:07

‘Santa Claus is back in town’. Correction.

lemongrove Sat 08-Dec-18 15:50:47

I may look into the party at Christmas, depends how sober I am tchgrin will there be dancing?
Any music bar Slade, rap or hip hop, or heavy metal, grunge,punk, is fine by me.
Will you include Mr Blue Sky by ELO ( or was it Wizard?)
Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino. Blue Christmas by Elvis,
Blue Bayou by Roy Orbison ( I like blue.)

glammanana Sat 08-Dec-18 16:59:20

I will bring a couple of full bodied Rioja and leave behind the bar for Xmas Day just help yourself when you arrive,just make sure the cleaner doesn't find them before the big day.tchsmile

Cherrytree59 Sat 08-Dec-18 20:11:36

Sounds a ball.
Anyone for homemade mulled wine🍷
Packs a punch 👊.

Marydoll any idea what you are expecting?
Have you chose a name?what about Amazon
Quite seasonal in our house.tchgrin
If twins *Amazon and Argos*🍼🍼

Greyduster Sat 08-Dec-18 20:19:33

Cherry with names like that if they arrive on the right day it really will be a miracle!!
I will throw in my sloe gin and a gallon of home made elderberry wine of indeterminate age!

Doodle Sat 08-Dec-18 20:55:12

Well I will dust off my best Argy outfit and be pleased to come along with a huge box of chocs and some mince pies. Sounds like a good time for all. Rufus you are on GN so you must be as welcome as the rest of us. I am certainly hoping for turkey and all the trimmings plus a large glass (or two) of red so I hope there will be plenty to go around.
Granless I am not really a party person either but do pop in. I am sure we can find somewhere quiet to snooze sit. tchgrin

Rufus2 Sun 09-Dec-18 09:56:50

you must be as welcome as the rest of us
Nan; Thank you for that! And Doodle, pleased I've not been barred, but don't tell me you also imbibe from large glasses too? The ones with a handle! tchshock
Yes Nan; after your excellent work at the birthday bash (Gee, 5months ago!), I'll support your application for DJ, but I notice Mancgirl has already applied. Whoever gets the job can play "Ray Conniff and Kenny Ball" all night for all I care. Oh, and throw in "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" for a laugh! tchgrin wine wine wine

mancgirl Sun 09-Dec-18 10:37:03

Rufus quite happy for you to share the decks while I go off for a boogie and a glass of wine refreshment!

JudiDrench Sun 09-Dec-18 14:09:37

Ooh, I'll be there! Will bring posh champagne including vintage but, freshly-squeezed orange juice for buck's fizz, salted almonds and veggie crispstchsmile

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 14:15:18

Thank you HQ for the invitation; I was going to offer my heavy rock and garage mixes but after reading about Ray Coniff (had to look him up!) I don't think it would be appreciated. I can tone down to Joe Bonamassa, Groove Armada and Excalibur (feat. Volker arber) if that helps. Otherwise just champagne for me please.

I can bring lemon drizzle and mince pies plus lemon curd tarts (all home made obviously) and my extremely subtle tree ornaments from Texas 😂😂😂

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 14:21:58

us.napster.com/artist/volker-barber/album/excalibur-soundtracks-with-the-best-and-most-famous-classica/track/dance-of-the-sabres-excalibur-album-version-1993

Greyduster Sun 09-Dec-18 14:31:01

Ray Conniff! There’s a blast from the past.

DanniRae Sun 09-Dec-18 15:17:24

Oh Izabella I am bringing homemade lemon drizzle cake too! Sounds like there will be a crowd there so the more cake the merrier, eh?
I'm rather fond of cherry brandy so I hope someone brings a bottle or two.
I've got my outfit all sorted out........blue glitzy top, black sparkly leggings, red metalic knee high boots.........sounds good and looks amazing. No copying now!!!!!!! tchgrin

Doodle Sun 09-Dec-18 15:28:25

Large glasses Rufus certainly not. I drink mine from a bucket 😀

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 15:53:20

Dont worry DanniRae how about I substitute the lemon drizzle for chocolate cake with fresh cream and kirsch soaked cherries?

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 15:57:13

🎅 has anyone thought about transport? Apparently the reindeer will be on box rest.

1974cookie Sun 09-Dec-18 18:09:34

I heard that Rudolph and the gang were moonlighting !
Something about Santa being a bit frugal with the food rations.

Rufus2 Mon 10-Dec-18 08:45:07

Ray Conniff! There’s a blast from the past
Fair Do's girls! Are you saying I'm a "blast from the past?" And what "past" are you from Iza? Not "pasture" use-by date, I hope! tchgrin "Had to look him up", indeed! Millions follow him on You-Tube, including me; he's on my comp as a lovely background all the time. Soothes the savage beast in me, although he's twitching his tail at the moment with all that blasting that's going on!
Would Bert Kaempfert do instead? tchgrin

Rufus2 Mon 10-Dec-18 09:08:05

Large glasses Rufus certainly not. I drink mine from a bucket
Oh dear Doodle! I fear you are almost beyond recall! sad You ain't been brought up proper like what I was. The bucket is for ice into which you plunge your bottles of red, champers, beer, or whatever; a similar bucket + ice is to cool the glasses to avoid lip-burn, although your summer appears to have ended, so no prob. tchsmile
Down Under I suppose you'd be trying to drink it from an Esky assuming you could lift it! Best bet is to fill your bath with red and climb in; probably not a pretty sight. tchgrin wine wine wine

newnanny Mon 10-Dec-18 11:26:22

I will be pop by at some point in the day. We are decorating our tree this evening and I am looking forward to doing it.

Doodle Mon 10-Dec-18 20:11:36

No rufus not an elegant ice bucked I mean one of those huge plastic things. Mind you I quite like the bath idea. 🤔 You are quite right though, it would not be a pretty sight. 😮

DanniRae Mon 10-Dec-18 22:14:46

That cake sounds delicious Izabella - especially the kirsch soaked cherries! I can't wait to try some tchsmile

Rufus2 Tue 11-Dec-18 12:04:34

I can tone down to Joe Bonamassa, Groove Armada, Excalibar
Blimey; What are these? Not the 3 wise men surely? Probably sauces for the goose or gander.! tchgrin

EllanVannin Tue 11-Dec-18 15:03:28

3 wise what ?? Heeheeheehee.

Izabella Tue 11-Dec-18 18:59:36

Rufus I have 3 wonderful godchildren who have introduced me to some amazing music over the years. I was forced into classical music studies when young and to be free of such constraints as I grew older has been so liberating. I have an advanced knowledge of musical theory and a love of music. Combined with an openness for new sounds I now have eclectic tastes.

I am an avid traveller and have been introduced to much world music. I learned to play a bath tub in rural America for instance. My only dislike really is Chinese Opera!

Rufus2 Thu 13-Dec-18 08:15:18

3 wise what ?? Heeheeheehee.
EllanVannin. Now! I've already reminded everyone that this is the season of goodwill to all men. tchsmile I suppose that way back when, "wise women" were as scarce as hen's teeth and it proved difficult to gather 3 together. Just as well I suppose! Think of the arguing about which presents to bring! Thankfully, 3 wise men were on hand to save us all! tchgrin

lemongrove Thu 13-Dec-18 14:04:29

How do you play a bathtub Iza other than thumping it?
The real use for a bathtub of course is to keep your coal in it.

lemongrove Thu 13-Dec-18 14:05:19

Rufus I doubt there are three wise men on GN though.🤣

phoenix Thu 13-Dec-18 17:15:14

There is a strong history of "wise women", sometimes the term was used for a witch!tchgrin

Rufus2 Fri 14-Dec-18 08:56:33

There is a strong history of "wise women"
Phoenix; Is there? I wouldn't know! Somebody should have told "Bill S", then he might not have coined "Hubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble, witches burn etc." He wasn't thinking of the 3 wise men. tchgrin

Rufus2 Fri 14-Dec-18 09:10:36

Ray Coniff (had to look him up!)
Iza; You should have looked how to spell his name, whilst you were at it, but you're forgiven. {tchwink]
I note that your trio of musos' pluck guitar strings; might be quite good too, but what we need firstly for the party is someone who is good at plucking goose feathers! Any volunteers? tchgrin

Rufus2 Fri 14-Dec-18 09:47:38

Rufus I doubt there are three wise men on GN though
Lemongrove; Your turn next for a"roasting, tchgrin but it's 8.15pm, so I'll have to get my tea/dinner; not goose; crumbed whiting! Back in a mo'!
Changed my mind on my way to the freezer; creamy tuna mornay bake instead; it's Friday so must still go with fish!
Your count to 3 is irrelevant when you consider our combined ages and factor in our collective IQs. We could be on a TV Brains Trust at the drop of a hat! tchgrin

Izabella Fri 14-Dec-18 10:41:58

Sadly my goose plucking days are over. Smashed hand and wrist some time ago left me with full rotation but reduced power.

Geese are easier to pluck than chickens though as the skin is tougher and less likely to tear. No fish 'ere midear At least not today.

sunseeker Fri 14-Dec-18 11:45:09

Just joined in this thread - drinking wine from buckets! I am appalled! What's wrong with straight from the bottle tchgrin.

Will try to pop in on Christmas Day but between bucks fizz with breakfast, sherry before lunch, wine with lunch, champagne and chocs in the afternoon - I may not be able to focus on the keyboard!

SparklyGrandma Fri 14-Dec-18 11:52:16

Ordered my Mushroom Wellington for Christmas Day. Anyone else veggie fancy a share?

Rufus2 Fri 14-Dec-18 12:57:41

What's wrong with straight from the bottle?
Sunseeker; "Buck's Fizz for breckie!? My word! tchsmile With such impeccable taste you are more than welcome to join this thread and lift the standard a bit and it suggests you are a lady "Netter" and not macho-man.! True or False? But wouldn't a champagne flute look classier than "straight from the bottle?" tchgrin
wine wine wine

sunseeker Fri 14-Dec-18 14:21:02

Refus: Bucks fizz WITH breakfast not for breakfast! I start off with a ladylike flute but things can go downhill fast (at least I haven't resorted to drinking out of a bucket tchgrin )

Rufus2 Sat 15-Dec-18 09:51:09

Smashed hand and wrist
Iza; Sorry to hear that! sad You don't come across as a political activist so you wouldn't have been marching and (bath)tub thumping, although you say you've studied that thanks to your 3 godchildren. My musical prowess is Nil, although I have been heard to blow my own trumpet at times, but quickly told to shut up! Not even attempted the didgeridoo! tchgrin
Take care!

Tooglamtogiveadamn Sun 16-Dec-18 16:54:13

Can I come too, please?

Rufus2 Mon 17-Dec-18 12:04:17

Can I come too, please?
Tooglam; What a lovely name! Of course you can! tchwink With a name like that you can't be a chap, but you can't be too careful these days! tchgrin
Btw; we don't seem to have a bar-person; interested? Cheers wine wine wine

Rufus2 Mon 17-Dec-18 12:32:18

Our current Aldi catalogue lists "Golden Sheep Ale 500ml a refreshing beautifully balanced ale fermented in traditional Yorkshire square fermenting vessels"
What the brexit does a "square vessel" do for it? There's also a Black Sheep Ale advertised (non-square I take it), but in the light of recent posts I think that's best left unopened! tchgrin

NanaKay58 Tue 18-Dec-18 02:34:30

Oooh! A party! Can colonists join?

Rufus2 Wed 19-Dec-18 10:38:44

Spoof Emails Capture Chaos Of Planning Christmas Office Party
www.reshareworthy.com/spoof-emails-capture-chaos-of-planning-christmas-

This couldn't happen at our party! Could it?

Teetime Wed 19-Dec-18 12:20:02

Can I come please - funeral over and time to get Christmassy here at 19th hol.

Teetime Wed 19-Dec-18 12:20:11

hole!!!

Tooglamtogiveadamn Wed 19-Dec-18 13:54:06

Thanks @rufus2! Have a wonderful Christmas and a happy, healthy new year!tchsmile

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Dec-18 19:14:46

In case anyone missed it on the other thread we've now put together The Gransnet Playlist thanks to your suggestions. So if you're not too full of turkey, feel free to have this on high volume while you dance around the kitchen.

SparklyGrandma Thu 20-Dec-18 03:36:11

Thank you GNHQ

absent Thu 20-Dec-18 03:45:32

Is that virtual party or virtual Christmas – or both?

Evie49 Fri 21-Dec-18 19:09:22

Sounds fun. I could give those sparkly Christmas earrings an outing; seriously though it is a really good idea. It is such a shame that public transport over the Christmas period is virtually non existent. That lack of provision makes life hard for people who live alone and who feel isolated.

Samiejb Mon 24-Dec-18 11:04:23

Sounds good to me - see you there

Granny23 Tue 25-Dec-18 08:14:09

Just having a breather here before the Merry Band descends, Wishing all at and on Grannsnet

Nollaig Chridheil agus Bliadhna Mhath Ùr...