Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas stockings

(41 Posts)
Newquay Sat 16-Dec-17 15:49:33

Just thinking. . . . .of doing an old fashioned Christmas stocking for DGC-aged 21, 19, 9 and 7-we'll be seeing at Christmas. Apart from a satsuma, some nuts, some sweeties(we have one of those old fashioned sweetie shops in town), a sugar mouse, crayons and colouring book what else can I put in them?

M0nica Sat 16-Dec-17 16:00:20

I was out shopping for stocking fillers for DGC (10 and 7) this week. I descended on £land, Wilko and another 'piled up with cheap and cheerful items' shop in my local town. A walk round them, all full of inexpensive trifles, soon meant the stockings were filled.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Dec-17 16:06:56

Socks, sweets, body spray, keyrings, I can't think of anything else!

Cherrytree59 Sat 16-Dec-17 16:14:13

A few gold coins (choc of course)

I used to save all my new copper coins
but not much we use nowadays.

Pocket type diaries and a pen were an old favourite, but again of little use to this generation

I am adding new socks
A hot wheel car to each of my DGS
Some changing colour bubble bath

No GDs but I often put costume jewellery and a puppy in my pocket toy in my daughter's when she was quite young.

In my DD I will add some earings and possibly a nail varnish or two.

chelseababy Sat 16-Dec-17 16:17:08

A comic or magazine

Newquay Sat 16-Dec-17 16:33:44

Brilliant ideas! Thank you!

Chewbacca Sat 16-Dec-17 18:12:47

A puzzle? Aldi have some small wooden ones, such as pick up sticks, in at the moment for £1.49. Perfect stocking size too.

Cherrytree59 Sat 16-Dec-17 18:23:37

Chewbacca thanks.
I'm going to Aldi Tuesday.
Hope they still have the pick up sticks.
Sounds an ideal Christmas game.tchsmile

Chewbacca Sat 16-Dec-17 18:44:41

They also had wooden puzzles, jacks and mini games Cherrytree . Dont know if they still have them but a couple of weeks ago they had sets of black scratcher board cards that you scratched off to reveal gold/silver/glitter underneath. Complete with stencils and scratcher. £2.99

Andyf Sat 16-Dec-17 20:58:45

I don't ever remember having a stocking as a child. That's probably why I get such pleasure from doing one each for the grandchildren. I doubt they are traditional though. Rolled up comic, crayons, socks, car/ small doll, slimy stuff for boys, pretty stuff for girls, chocolate coins. Pound land stuff to fill spaces (even though it may not last the day).

Newquay Sun 17-Dec-17 07:28:35

Honestly Andy we're just not allowed "slimy stuff for boys and pretty stuff for girls" any more! My DGC all like all! Lol! ? Some brill ideas here, thanks

sunseeker Sun 17-Dec-17 07:42:21

Anyone else get a piece of coal, wrapped in paper, in the toe of their Christmas stocking? It was supposed to ensure that you would be warm all winter!

Andyf Sun 17-Dec-17 07:45:41

I know Newquay that's what I thought after I'd posted!!
But never mind. ? Too late now.

Maggiemaybe Sun 17-Dec-17 07:50:20

No, sunseeker, but I was always threatened with a stocking full of coal if I didn't start behaving. grin

mcem Sun 17-Dec-17 08:12:17

Stockings for my 3 always had Matey bubble bath. That was carried on for the Dgc' s - 2 big ones and now the little ones. Gold choc coins, a new £1 coin, hair accessories for Dgd (7) and bits from poundland etc. Tiger recently opened here and there are some lovely games and silly things.

ginny Sun 17-Dec-17 09:06:47

Small puzzle books, new tooth brush, glow sticks, magic snow, novelty socks, bath bombs, bookmark,

silverlining48 Sun 17-Dec-17 11:11:37

Tiger us a great shop, danish i think, with different and interesting things, very reasonably priced. Wish there was one near me.

Diggingdoris Sun 17-Dec-17 11:52:40

Novelty flannel and toothbrush always went in ours, pencil/pen and rubber/ pencil sharpener were always welcome too.

Lindajane Sun 17-Dec-17 12:09:25

A friend of mine has bought poo pourri for children’s stocking!

grandMattie Sun 17-Dec-17 12:20:55

Sure it is a "poo" pourri, Linda?

stevej4491 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:07:08

tubs of bubbles ,for the older ones some hangover cure, balloons, chapstick ,bluetack .The list is endless.Good luck

linjon Sun 17-Dec-17 13:26:30

I’ve done quite well filling my DGC’s “Boxing Day” Stockings in Home Bargains!! They are only 8 & 6 so enjoy quantity over quality ? notebooks, pencils, puzzles, old fashioned games such as Tiddlywinks and Dominoes, choc coins etc. Great fun searching for bargains ??????

Sheilasue Sun 17-Dec-17 13:43:20

I bought slipper socks from primark for my d and gd.
They do nice bits and pieces for stockings.

Aepgirl Sun 17-Dec-17 15:20:21

I think this is a lovely idea. If you have a branch of Tiger nearby they have lots of fun items for stockings.

Katekeeprunning Sun 17-Dec-17 15:32:59

Terry's Chocolate Orange