Gransnet forums

Christmas

Crackers at Christmas - who knew!

(11 Posts)
EllieB52 Fri 20-Dec-19 10:49:45

Just been to Tesco to get some non-perishables for Christmas. I use the scan and pay. Imagine my surprise when the till indicated it needed authorisation by a member of staff to check I was over 25. I hadn’t bought any alcohol so queried it. It was the Christmas Crackers! They are considered a restricted item. Now, that really is crackers!

Grannybags Fri 20-Dec-19 11:53:58

Yes, that happened to me too. I was told it was because they are explosive!

Pittcity Fri 20-Dec-19 11:59:01

The same happened to me with mince pies....how much booze is in them?

yggdrasil Fri 20-Dec-19 12:07:35

It's time to stop buying crackers, which fill the world with little bits of plastic rubbish discarded by Christmas evening
Make your own

Ashcombe Sat 26-Sep-20 15:50:17

A couple of years ago, Itried to include a cracker making kit in a parcel for my daughter in Australia. Refused by PO due the explosive nature of the snaps.☹️

grannysyb Sat 26-Sep-20 17:58:18

What amazes me is that they almost unheard of in America, where they are so fond of explosive guns!

Ellianne Sat 26-Sep-20 18:00:35

Ashcombe, likewise, I had my box confiscated trying to take them on a Ryanair flight to France.

eazybee Sat 26-Sep-20 18:56:55

I did try making my own once but I found it really hard finding items small enough to put inside.

M0nica Sat 26-Sep-20 19:07:00

We just put a chocolate or small sweet in home made crackers. It is the crack when you pull them, paper hat and corny joke that matter - not the gift, I would happily do with out all that - and at the end of the meal cracker remains and content can then be burnt or composted.

PamelaJ1 Sat 26-Sep-20 20:19:00

I always make mine, easybee diamonds aren’t that big. ?
Sorry couldn’t resist. Like MOnica I find that chocs are perfect .we just say bang⚡️.

Witzend Sun 27-Sep-20 10:11:56

I always used to post a few crackers to widowed sister and young niece in America, strictly not allowed , but niece adored them and they couldn’t get them there. They never exploded en route!

I’m afraid I still buy them - but only the cheap ones, pref. with the daftest tat inside - it’s part of the fun. IMO the stuff inside even the expensive ones is nearly always tat anyway, and personally speaking we always have more than enough chocolate at Christmas.

I think we mostly do our bit as regards plastic as far as we can anyway. Just for starters our milk has been delivered in glass ever since we’ve been here - over 30 years now - and we’ve always used bar soap in the shower rather than anything in plastic.