Gransnet forums

Christmas

So.....!" you going to do anything different next Christmas?

(30 Posts)
bikergran Sat 28-Dec-19 18:19:26

Me..!.I will make sure I do my housework early so as not to run round like scalded cat (although I do still work ) also to start a savings card for my supermarket to save on the expense.

phoenix Sat 28-Dec-19 19:02:04

Make a note that 2 people do not need 36 pigs in blankets, no matter how much they like to have some left over to eat cold.

Ditto that we don't need 2 of each of the types of stuffing we like, again so that there is some left over. tchblush tchconfused

Also to present Mr P with a "wish list", ( either written or shared on line) to avoid getting some rather odd gifts........

GrandmaKT Sat 28-Dec-19 19:06:07

Yes, we're going to their house!!! smile

sodapop Sat 28-Dec-19 19:20:45

Make sure we have an oven which works properly.tchgrin

Sara65 Sat 28-Dec-19 20:00:51

I will be certain not to catch a flu like virus just before Christmas, with do much left to do. Make sure I don’t allow the Aga to pack up, not knowing if it would be fixed in time or not. I will definitely not organise outdoor activities in torrential rain, and I will lock up all the chocolates to prevent my small grandson being sick all night. Then a week before Christmas I won’t decide that I need even more Christmas presents for the grandchildren, that’s just for starters.

Norah Sat 28-Dec-19 20:09:24

Cruise, away from family nutters.

Septimia Sat 28-Dec-19 20:11:58

Yep. On our own again next Christmas. Will go to the Midnight service and, if the weather is good, will get up in the morning and head off in the motor caravan. Of course, we could have 6 feet of snow where we live....

BlueBelle Sat 28-Dec-19 20:17:40

Two day retreat preferable one that doesn’t connect with Christmas ?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 28-Dec-19 20:19:08

Not have this blasted flu virus and chest infections. Can't visit atoner go anywhere. Fed up so next year will go away before virus season.

love0c Sat 28-Dec-19 20:27:19

BlueBelle May I come? smile

BradfordLass72 Sun 29-Dec-19 08:21:47

I am hoping to find a kindly way to tell my son and daughter in law that I really do feel more comfortable (and safe) in my own home at Christmas.

They can come for a meal and to open gifts but the rest of the time, enjoy Christmas at their place whilst I relax in mine.

craftyone Sun 29-Dec-19 08:30:52

Bradfordlass that is tricky. I went through that last year. It is kind of them but I think that they inwardly breathe a sigh of relief and we no longer feel like the spare part. I came back to mine after a few hours at theirs this year and it was such a welcoming calm energy in my own home and best of all was the peace and quiet here.

Tell them that you will have a gathering on x date at your house, I had mine the week before and it was exhausting but afterwards each family got to enjoy christmas in their own homes and had the RnR that they needed

dragonfly46 Sun 29-Dec-19 08:33:14

No idea we don’t think about Christmas in my family until September!

EllanVannin Sun 29-Dec-19 08:36:50

I say it every year------not to buy so much bloomin' food !

I must still feel/think I'm catering for ALL the family.

morethan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 08:55:03

I’m not thinking that far ahead, it’s tooo scary. Normally I get a bit Christmassy about mid November then it wears off and doesn’t come back until December.

Nico97 Sun 29-Dec-19 09:03:10

I've done a list called December Do's & Don'ts which I've added to as I've gone along through the month, i.e., don't start drinking the sherry until one week before Christmas, don't bake continuously throughout the month - that kind of thing.

I have transferred it to my electronic diary with a reminder on it for 1st December next year and will then read it and remind myself/us of what we moaned about this year grin

Shropshirelass Sun 29-Dec-19 09:03:36

This year I spent much less, saw fewer people (seeing only the ones I wanted to) and stayed away from all the hassle and stress. Much better. Same again next year, if I don't go on a cruise that is!

BlueBelle Sun 29-Dec-19 09:04:47

love0c please come with me I d love the company x

Grammaretto Sun 29-Dec-19 09:37:49

I was invited to a retreat but declined because my DS was coming to stay. She hasn't come because she's too unwell but I think it's too late to go on the retreat. I'm like a petulant child!!

Different next year? Every year is different though I wish I had written down where I've been at all my 72 Christmasses. It would be a good read.

GagaJo Sun 29-Dec-19 09:46:53

Oh god YES Norah! Not a cruise for me, but getting away from the nutters 100%!

ninathenana Sun 29-Dec-19 09:48:41

After the joyous chaos of DD, SiL and two DGS staying here for 3 days which involved sofa sleeping and fold up mattress in lounge along with duvet shoved behind sofa during the day, plus luggage and new toys everywhere. I'm hoping DD will be in a position to host and we can turn up for present opening and lunch and then come home to a tidy house.

BradfordLass72 Sun 29-Dec-19 21:19:12

craftyone - agree totally. I'm going to wait until Christmas is well and truly in the past and then tell them. I don't want to be on tenterhooks about it until next December smile

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 29-Oct-20 16:33:36

Just looking through this old post from last Christmas, and amazed at how our lives have changed since then.

Bring back the good old days, even though we complained about them?

I wish we could turn the clocks back, family members and friends no longer with us and no chance of seeing other family members this year.

EllanVannin Thu 29-Oct-20 16:36:04

Yes Oops, what a difference a year makes.

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 29-Oct-20 16:37:05

?