Gransnet forums

Christmas

How to do a solo christmas?

(23 Posts)
craftyone Sun 27-Sep-20 06:14:00

I will be on my own this year, for the entire christmas holiday. I do put a few bright decorations up and a lovely scandi tree with cheerful ornaments

I have already bought a few special treats such as cherries in kirsch and a few very special biscuits. I have no intention of over-eating, it takes a long time to lose one kg and goes on oh so easily

I have plenty of nice cds to watch and crafts to do, if I am in the mood. What else, I need a few presents to myself and am short on ideas

Oopsadaisy4 Sun 27-Sep-20 06:54:02

A good book and a Christmas jigsaw plus some old books about Christmas? Perfume? As you are in the garden (a lot) maybe a few garden related goodies ?
I always buy myself a Christmas Puzzler book to do over Christmas, not too taxing.

kircubbin2000 Sun 27-Sep-20 06:59:38

It's just another day really so no need for all the fuss. I was on my own 2 years ago as everyone went to in laws and it was actually lucky because I was unwell and wouldn't have enjoyed visitors.

Nannytopsy Sun 27-Sep-20 07:04:53

Some of our family do a four gift idea - something you want, something you need, something to eat and something to read.
Enjoy your day.

BlueBelle Sun 27-Sep-20 07:24:17

It doesn’t have to be a big deal does it? Sounds a great idea crafty I m not sure I will manage the not over eating though
Bring it on, I m always happy when Christmas is over not my best time of the year I m afraid
It’s only two days after all

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Sep-20 07:37:26

My best purchases this year were an Amazon echo and an Audible subscription.
At the beginning of this current catastrophe, listening to audio books was a great comfort.
How about a chimenia for your garden?
Posh pyjamas?
NannyTopsy - I love that!

MawB2 Sun 27-Sep-20 07:43:18

You need ides for presents to yourself?
How long have you got! gringrin
Bu seriously why not choose your favourite charity - or more than one - and send them a donation instead. I feel by our time of life we most of us have most of what we want and ephemeral “stuff” only brings temporary satisfaction.
Knowing you have helped to save lives/sight/starving children however can bring lasting joy.
Giving is also is a much better feeling than receiving! And Christmas Day need not be a big deal or excuse to splurge.
(I am assuming you will be seeing your family at other times over what we used to call the “festive season? )

MawB2 Sun 27-Sep-20 07:43:47

IDEAS

fevertree Sun 27-Sep-20 07:45:19

We had a lot of fun during lockdown completing a Wasgij puzzle, it is a jigsaw puzzle, but without the pic! You just get a hint of what the final result will be (the name is Jigsaw spelled backwards). In the one we have, the picture on the box is of neighbours looking over a fence, and you then have to imagine what they are seeing.

Nannytopsy I also like that.

Sunlover Sun 27-Sep-20 07:57:36

Can’t even begin to think about Christmas. It’s nearly 3 months away.

MellowYellow Sun 27-Sep-20 08:05:22

If I was on my own on Christmas Day I'd buy myself a beautiful shrub for my patio, hang fairy lights outside (my one bedsitting room looks out on the patio) and treat myself to a load of candles. Ever since I've been on my own I've lit pillar/church candles. I find their light very comforting.

Juliet27 Sun 27-Sep-20 08:24:23

Beware the ides of Christmas ?

MawB2 Sun 27-Sep-20 09:31:42

Juliet27

Beware the ides of Christmas ?

???

Alexa Sun 27-Sep-20 09:49:43

It never lasts long, and New Year is not as bad as Xmas.

Joelsnan Sun 27-Sep-20 10:16:08

The first Christmas I had on my own was initially a bit daunting, but I decided I would do things I would never normally do. That was to buy myself a box of my favourite chocs. A bottle of nice wine, something tasty for lunch and spend the afternoon snuggled on the sofa, eating the chocs, drinking the wine and watching a good film. It was a good day.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:03:01

I suspect a small consolation about a solo Christmas is knowing that you can do exactly as you please, get up when you want, eat what you like when you feel like it, watch whatever TV programmes you prefer, etc, etc.

That's probably what I'll be doing, anyway. I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to visit my sister who lives about three streets away. It's normally a houseful of three AC visiting with their partners/children so 13 of us in all. That looks unlikely at the mo.

Still, it's only one day and I refuse to be miserable about it.

craftyone Mon 28-Sep-20 11:10:46

There are lots of people doing a solo christmas but it is a pretty long time ie the whole week to new year, ok if the weather is nice for cycling, which I like. The days of riding a horse are gone and the NT visits are out for now, I do keep myself occupied very well but wanted some parcels for myself. I have ordered a l`occitane pack from qvc, tsv yesterday. Dvds, books and jigsaws a plenty here. I have a specific needle felting kit to make an elephant. One year I bought a kit to make a spinning wheel, that was excellent, it took 2 full weeks and I have a super wheel from it. That was a life saver, the first christmas after being widowed, it took practical as well as mental skill so was all engrossing

I might get my arris in gear to get the stuff together to make a wood carving in the house as the garage will be too cold. I have all the stuff, I just need to put it all into a basket to bring in. That would be enough

Kseniya Tue 13-Oct-20 16:27:39

why not change everything? and not go on a trip (if possible) to a new place or to visit friends? smile

AGAA4 Tue 13-Oct-20 16:49:08

I may be on my own this Christmas as all my family and friends are at the moment in Lockdown and I can't see it getting much better.
I will enjoy the festive period doing all the things I enjoy most starting with a walk on Christmas morning, reading, special lunch but I don't think I will buy myself anything.
I always feel sad for homeless people and will give a donation to one of their charities.

boheminan Tue 13-Oct-20 17:21:23

I seem to remember a couple of years ago GN met up for a seasonal snow ball fight and festivities? Great fun, worth tuning in for. Perhaps I dreamed it?hmm

M0nica Tue 13-Oct-20 17:23:00

craftyone clearly wants to celebrate Christmas, even though she is on her own, I am not sure that being told Christmas is nothing special, or just do something else is going to help.

I have never spent Christmas on my own and I love all the work, but I have sometimes fantasized about how I would spend the day if on my own.

My flat, and I always think of me living in a flat, not my house, would be decorated and I would have a tree. I would wake early, turn the radio to Christmas music and potter; getting lunch ready, a small turkey joint, ham, stuffing and all the trimmings. I would then go to church and afterwards go for a long walk. I would return home to cook my lunch, which I would eat at a suitably decorated table. After lunch, with coffee and mints by my side I would delve into my new book.

Later when it got dark I would go for another walk to look at all the lights and decorations in shopping streets and people's houses and gardens. I would then return home to a supper of salad and cold mat and a mincepie, and mulled wine before settling in front of the tv with nibbles and a glass of home made blackberry gin to watch a cd of Rossini's opera, Cenerentola (Cinderella), one particular production, which is as witty and funny as any pantomime. All day I would indulge myself with memories of all the happy Christmases I have been fortunate to enjoy through out my life.

Grandma70s Tue 13-Oct-20 17:38:23

It’s actually quite difficult to be alone at Christmas. Someone will find out and invite you. It’s almost forbidden to be on your own, however much you would enjoy it.

One of my favourite things at Christmas is the King’s College Choir from Cambridge, but will they even be able to sing this year? If not, I’ll watch them on YouTube or somewhere.

Dinahmo Tue 13-Oct-20 17:40:10

Something different - depending on where you live, why not volunteer to help a charity such as Crisis at Christmas. This charity helps the homeless by getting them help with retraining, to find homes and various other things. They also provide a meal for the homeless on Christmas Day.