Gransnet forums

Christmas

Xmas decs

(153 Posts)
Gingster Thu 22-Oct-20 07:59:02

Has anyone got their Xmas decs up yet? On Tv yesterday, people showing their houses already decorated. I will do mine 1st December but I can understand people wanting a bit of magic after this horrendous year. ?

tanith Thu 22-Oct-20 08:06:07

Good grief No!

Hetty58 Thu 22-Oct-20 08:08:33

Nope, won't bother as no kids/visitors this year. I always did it all for them - not me.

In fact (loving minimalist rooms) I don't really like them. Rather than cheering me up - they irritate me.

LauraNorder Thu 22-Oct-20 08:09:27

Do mine Christmas Eve, twelve days is quite enough.

Nortsat Thu 22-Oct-20 08:18:38

We do ours on 1st December. I love having the tree up and enjoy sitting in the living room, in the evening, with the Chr***mas lights on.

I was watching shopping tv yesterday and they had their studio decorated with Chr***mas trees!

Lavazza1st Thu 22-Oct-20 08:22:35

I put up some snowflake fairy lights and the table lamp version of this Ikea star www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/strala-lamp-shade-lace-white-10474079/
I have not gone full blown Christmas yet , but these pretty lights are giving me some joy on darker days

Sarnia Thu 22-Oct-20 08:39:22

No fear!!!
The tree and decs will go up around mid-December as usual. With young grandchildren around they get so excited as soon as this happens because they know Christmas is getting very near. We don't need them chomping at the bit from mid-October. In this house we have half-term, Hallowe'en, a new puppy and 2 birthdays before December. Christmas will have to wait it's turn.

TwiceAsNice Thu 22-Oct-20 08:56:15

Myself and my two daughters help decorate each other’s houses and buy and put up a tree on the first Saturday in Dec. This is usually around the 1st/2nd but as the previous Saturday is Nov 28th it will be the 5th this year , late for us lol!

I buy the 2 adults and 2 granddaughters a new tree decoration every year to put on that years tree. We buy the real trees from the local garden centre and also buy a door wreath at the same time and put up outside lights on the same weekend ( these may go up in the week this year to coincide with the 1st) We love Christmas in our house! As we are 6 we will be lucky enough to be still be together this year. I appreciate that won’t be possible for all.

Ellianne Thu 22-Oct-20 09:01:42

Not yet, but itching to get started. The beginning of December can't come soon enough.

Missfoodlove Thu 22-Oct-20 09:04:14

The weekend before Xmas is soon enough.

Oopsminty Thu 22-Oct-20 09:04:30

We get three real trees for reception rooms. We'll get them mid-December as normal. Can't be doing with limp trees.

However, I was watching Jeremy Vine yesterday, ( maybe the same programme as you gingster) and it got me thinking.

We have a large artificial tree we put up in the entrance hall and I have been pondering whether I should put it up now. Or soon.

It always looks beautiful. Wont be seen by the neighbours who may be terribly outraged!

So I think this weekend might see me tangled with tree lights

It doesn't harm anyone and I think people should do as they wish. No law is being broken!

sodapop Thu 22-Oct-20 09:09:31

Mid December here as well. I love the decorations, lights etc. It will help keep us cheerful this year as we haven't seen our families for over a year.

Mapleleaf Thu 22-Oct-20 09:12:48

No, far too early.
The advent wreath will come out at the start of Advent, then the tree a week or two before Christmas, depending how I feel nearer the time.

SueDonim Thu 22-Oct-20 09:14:05

I am being rather entertained by Christmas trees at the moment. A local store has three windows overlooking our high street. Every time I pass, the trees and sundry boxes of lights and decorations are in a different window! It’s like that magician’s trick of guessing which upturned cup a coin is under. grin

My tree usually goes up in the week before Xmas but I think it’ll go up earlier this year. Though if we go away to see our daughter and no one else is coming to the house, I may do without a tree this year.

Calendargirl Thu 22-Oct-20 09:29:40

We usually put ours up the first Sunday in December. I’m not a fan of Christmas, but once it’s up, it looks nice and cheerful, and I like to light it up at dusk to make it look attractive for people going home from work.

However, I would happily take it down on Boxing Day. Once Christmas Day is over, things look tatty and cheap, don’t know why.

Witzend Thu 22-Oct-20 09:32:07

Good Lord no!
My mini Christmas tree (last year’s, in a pot in the garden) will go outside the front door with lights, on 1st Dec, but it’s usually around mid-December before anything indoors goes up.

We always have a real tree so a week or 10 days before Christmas is usual for that, so that it’ll last well (in a bucket of wet gravel) until 6th Jan. Nothing comes down before then. IMO January is dreary enough anyway, so I’d never take them down sooner.

Grandmabatty Thu 22-Oct-20 09:37:08

I believe in everything in its proper season. We're still in autumn, so autumn colours and Halloween stuff at the moment. When the children were younger, we would put up the tree and decorations the weekend before Christmas. It was a family occasion, just the three of us. As they got older and then left home, I moved the tree etc to earlier in December as it was cheery to look at. This year I haven't decided yet. But definitely not til sometime in December

Teetime Thu 22-Oct-20 09:37:23

If our flipping conveyancer ever takes her digit from her posterior and we move house they are going up on 1st Dec.

Witzend Thu 22-Oct-20 09:38:23

Having said that, I’m happy to see other people’s decs up earlier - October does seem a bit too much of a good thing though! Any time after 5th November though - that’s when time really starts racing on IMO - and I start present shopping in earnest.

craftyone Thu 22-Oct-20 09:39:19

The full month of december plus a couple of days is enough for me. I love the cheeriness when I put them up but I love it too when they are also put away. I have a scandi tree, made from beech, a base plus dowels. It packs small but is stunning when it is filled

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 22-Oct-20 09:44:43

You do know its only October? The tree goes up the weekend before Christmas, as do the decorations.

Grannybags Thu 22-Oct-20 09:44:57

Ours go up the weekend before Christmas and come down Jan 1st - sometimes sooner!

craftyone Thu 22-Oct-20 09:46:36

oops, the scandi wooden tree is made from birch I think

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 22-Oct-20 09:50:42

I'll wait until early December to put up the decs and the tree. It's far too early. I put them up more for myself really as I have a very inactive social life and it's even more so in these strange times.

sweetcakes Thu 22-Oct-20 09:59:22

OMG no! the weekend before Christmas is enough for me everything begins to look so tired if you have it up for weeks before hand and it comes down on the 2nd of January. But that's just my opinion.