Gransnet forums

Christmas

Anyone else making Delia’s mincemeat?

(36 Posts)
Witzend Sun 16-Oct-22 11:06:19

I’ve just realised that I ought to be getting on with it - enough jars saved up, I think. I still have some from last year but might well be asked again to make some for the Gdcs’ school fair.

Last year for the fair I put a pastry star on top of each - rather than risk lids that end up looking a bit untidy once out of the oven.
Dh and I get through a lot anyway, though I never make any until 1st December - we wouldn’t have the willpower to be only moderately piggy if I started any earlier.

Ilovecheese Sun 16-Oct-22 11:10:21

I will probably make some in a couple of weeks. My Chistmas cooking starts after half term .

Rosepaul Sun 16-Oct-22 11:24:42

I definitely will, was wondering, if it could be made in a slow cooker rather than the oven???

Mamissimo Sun 16-Oct-22 11:31:24

I had my big bake up last week - Christmas cake, two puddings and mincemeat. I find it easy to do the whole lot in one go. A few years ago I made a spreadsheet with all the ingredients for them and can then simply use formulae to scale up or down and produce a single list for the lot. My DDs say that the Christmas spreadsheet had made sure that the recipes live on.

CraftyGranny Sun 16-Oct-22 11:33:17

I put a frangipan topping on last year, they were lovely an tidy
I have never ben able to make mince pies without all the leakage, unlike my Mum.

Witzend Sun 16-Oct-22 13:24:52

Rosepaul

I definitely will, was wondering, if it could be made in a slow cooker rather than the oven???

I should imagine that would work fine. IIRC the mix goes in a very low oven for a few hours, in order for the suet or veg fat to melt and be able to be mixed in. Which is surely doable in a slow cooker.

CraftyGranny Sun 16-Oct-22 13:28:43

Rosepaul

Somebody has asked this on Delia's site:

www.deliaonline.com/ask-lindsey/mincemeat-in-the-slow-cooker

lixy Sun 16-Oct-22 13:43:53

I usually make cake and mincemeat over the half-term break, both from Delia's Christmas book. I also make the Christmas chutney and the Apricot one.

I like the idea of making the mincemeat in a slow cooker - will give that a go. We don't put brandy in half of ours as some family and friends are teetotal and it lasts just as well up to Christmas.
GS will be here this half-term so he can lend a hand with the chopping and mixing as he has done since he was a year old. He's rather more efficient at it now that he's nearly 13!

Rosepaul Sun 16-Oct-22 13:47:17

Thank you CraftyGranny and Witzend much appreciate your replies

Witzend Sun 16-Oct-22 13:52:15

I used to loathe the grating of orange and lemon peel on a box grater - until I realised that you could buy a brilliant little gadget to make it so much easier - for about £7.

I dare say I was about the last person to realise that such a gadget existed!

Shirleyw Sun 16-Oct-22 13:54:19

Yes, i make Delias MM every year, also for my sister. I think next week i shall make a start, also Delias christmas cake and pudding....

mumofmadboys Sun 16-Oct-22 19:23:06

Witzend please tell me about your gadget. I still use a box grater. TIA.

Esmay Sun 16-Oct-22 20:42:13

I used to make mincemeat from scratch - now I add some mashed banana and finely cut apple plus a little more spice and zest to a commercial brand .

nandad Sun 16-Oct-22 20:50:04

I have been making Delia’s mincemeat for years. This year I made it early because I had been given some Bramleys and used the slow cooker. It turned out well, only cooked it for a couple of hours. The one change I make is to use vegetarian suet, which is drier, so I compensate with alcohol!

choughdancer Sun 16-Oct-22 20:58:34

I usually make Nigella's cranberry mincemeat - delish! www.nigella.com/recipes/star-topped-mince-pies

Witzend Sun 16-Oct-22 22:49:24

mumofmadboys

Witzend please tell me about your gadget. I still use a box grater. TIA.

This is it - about 14 cm long.
I think it was by Good Grips - if you Google Good Grips Citrus Zester (or similar) it’ll probably come up.
Mine was £7 in the local dept. store.
It’ll do long curls as well as zesting, but I’ve never needed those.

Witzend Sun 16-Oct-22 22:51:28

PS, it was a godsend when recently making the annual mega lemon meringue pie for dh’s birthday (11 for lunch) last Sunday - 3 large lemons to zest!

mumofmadboys Mon 17-Oct-22 21:54:35

Thanks Witzend. I'll look out for one

Norah Mon 17-Oct-22 22:02:06

I use the slow cooker, no suet though, I use a vegan recipe.

B9exchange Mon 17-Oct-22 22:09:56

I use a parmesan grater for zest, very quick and doesn't take any of the bitter pith with it. Also very fine as I don't like large pieces.

Witzend Tue 18-Oct-22 10:22:43

I made 2 lots last year, both with trad suet and with veggie ditto, for veggie family. TBH they didn’t really taste any different, not to me, anyway.

Davida1968 Tue 18-Oct-22 13:19:40

We've had a GoodGrips zester for years - can recommend it!

Abitbarmy Sat 22-Oct-22 19:21:27

Ok so I’ve been having a go at this but I put the brandy in with all the rest of the ingredients at the beginning, will it matter? Should I put another lot in when it cools? Also why isn’t it packed when it’s hot into hot sterilised jars as you would with jam? I’ve got hot jars waiting in the oven, shall I leave them and do it all cold in the morning? Should I just have another glass of wine and give up on home-made mincemeat? I should definitely read the whole recipe at the beginning of the exercise and not speed read!

Witzend Sun 23-Oct-22 16:20:01

I put the brandy in at the beginning the first time I made it - didn’t realise until later - I don’t think it made any difference.

As long as the jars have been sterilised, I doubt it’ll matter if the mix goes in cold.

Abitbarmy Sun 23-Oct-22 18:45:19

Thanks Witzend, I’ve got it all in jars now. I put another glug of brandy in for luck!