Gransnet forums

Christmas

Buying online for Christmas

(38 Posts)
sazz1 Wed 23-Nov-22 20:35:33

I sell and buy online from a well-known auction site EB and just want to tell you what the deliveries are like atm.
I've had 2 parcels I've sold go missing both posted via Royal Mail. One turned up 4 weeks later. Others are taking between 3 days and 3 weeks to arrive 2nd class small parcels
Evri are taking up to 10days, average is 5 days atm.
If your home is just a 'house name' and not on Google Maps Royal Mail will find it quicker as post people usually walk the same roads every day. Also applies to new build areas. If its not on Google maps you have very little chance of a courier finding it unless they deliver there regularly. My daughter's road took 8 years to be listed on Google maps and never received parcels from couriers but from neighbours at a similarly named road nearby!
Courier firns are all now inundated with parcels and announcing delays to deliveries on their sites.
If you want something for a Xmas 🎁 present 🎁 please order ASAP
Hope this helps some people
Best wishes x

MawtheMerrier Wed 23-Nov-22 20:55:04

Its not necessarily all doom and gloom. I bought a Gudrun Sjoden coatigan on ebay at the end of last week, it came yesterday. Another online purchase (a dress for GD from Friends of Joules) came within the week.
But obviously don't leave things until the last minute.

Harris27 Wed 23-Nov-22 20:58:17

I shop with jd Williams pay a yearly subscription and it’s been brilliant.

GrannyLaine Wed 23-Nov-22 21:06:02

I'm surprised to hear this sazz1 though I appreciate that it may differ from location to location. I also sell on Ebay and use Royal Mail for practically all my parcels. The speed of delivery is astonishing, many second class parcels arriving next day and feedback reflects this. And I've never had a parcel go missing.

NotAGran55 Wed 23-Nov-22 21:13:13

I ordered something from a French company at 0830 on Thursday, it was shipped the same day and was delivered on Saturday morning by DPD. Shipping cost was £3.50.

sazz1 Wed 23-Nov-22 22:59:24

Perhaps it's just from my area in Devon that there are problems then.

Soozikinzi Thu 24-Nov-22 00:01:26

Is what three words useful to add for deliveries ?

Ali08 Thu 24-Nov-22 02:37:51

sazz1

I sell and buy online from a well-known auction site EB and just want to tell you what the deliveries are like atm.
I've had 2 parcels I've sold go missing both posted via Royal Mail. One turned up 4 weeks later. Others are taking between 3 days and 3 weeks to arrive 2nd class small parcels
Evri are taking up to 10days, average is 5 days atm.
If your home is just a 'house name' and not on Google Maps Royal Mail will find it quicker as post people usually walk the same roads every day. Also applies to new build areas. If its not on Google maps you have very little chance of a courier finding it unless they deliver there regularly. My daughter's road took 8 years to be listed on Google maps and never received parcels from couriers but from neighbours at a similarly named road nearby!
Courier firns are all now inundated with parcels and announcing delays to deliveries on their sites.
If you want something for a Xmas 🎁 present 🎁 please order ASAP
Hope this helps some people
Best wishes x

What is EB, please?

NotAGran55 Thu 24-Nov-22 05:05:33

It’s eBay.

Beechnut Thu 24-Nov-22 08:44:10

I ordered something last Friday and delivered by Evri Monday evening.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Nov-22 08:55:57

As much as I dislike everything about Amazon, DH orders items in the morning and they are here in the evening or first thing the following morning.

He has Amazon Prime.

henetha Thu 24-Nov-22 10:25:35

On Monday I ordered six christmas presents from eBay.
Four have arrived already and two are on the way. So that's quite good.
Yesterday morning when opening my front door I found a parcel from Amazon that was soaking wet. It must have been there all night, so either they didn't ring the door bell or I didn't hear it.
My Evri lady says they are absolutely overwhelmed and can hardly cope at the moment.

karmalady Thu 24-Nov-22 10:36:53

I am always happy with amazon and the ebay sellers this year have been excellent, various plants and trimmings for sewing, good value and good quality. I do shop locally and know I will pay a bit more but I do that because we all want our local small shops to survive

I get my wholefoods online because I get very good incentives and I know turnover of stock is good, hence fresher. No problems with delivery, except for parcelforce, they go back to depot to be back there at 5

I am consistent with my weekly online organic veg order, again it costs more but so be it and I am a valued long-term customer

re christmas, organic shop is set but can easily be changed and will be delivered just before christmas. No more online shopping for christmas. Thankfully, dgc are all teenagers now and prefer some cash

Blossoming Thu 24-Nov-22 10:40:47

The only online order I was waiting for arrived yesterday, delivered by UPS. I had a choice of standard Royal Mail or pay extra for a courier. I paid the extra because of expected strike action.

sazz1 Thu 24-Nov-22 12:46:37

henetha

On Monday I ordered six christmas presents from eBay.
Four have arrived already and two are on the way. So that's quite good.
Yesterday morning when opening my front door I found a parcel from Amazon that was soaking wet. It must have been there all night, so either they didn't ring the door bell or I didn't hear it.
My Evri lady says they are absolutely overwhelmed and can hardly cope at the moment.

Evri is hermes and on there parcel site it says delays

Sara1954 Thu 24-Nov-22 13:43:11

I don’t have a very high opinion of Evri, but a word in their defence.
Tuesday night I had a delivery confirmation with a photo of a residential street I didn’t recognise, it should have come to me at work.
I emailed them, but was thinking I would probably have to write it off, but it turned up at work the next morning.

growstuff Thu 24-Nov-22 13:50:08

I've been having a massive clear out at home and have sold about 40 items on EBay over the last couple of months.

I use RM for most items and Evri for heavier packages. Despite the strikes, I've only had one item which took a week to arrive. Everything else has arrived within a day or two.

Witzend Thu 24-Nov-22 14:07:20

I usually use RM if it’s an option - service is usually very good here.

I don’t know which courier it was, but last night something was dumped on our doorstep - which was for a neighbour several doors away - and when dh took it round, he found a parcel for me dumped on their doorstep!

henetha Fri 25-Nov-22 18:39:06

Sazzl. Yes , it's Hermes new name I think.
The other two things from eBay were delivered at 8.30 this morning!
Not bad for these busy times.

Daddima Fri 25-Nov-22 19:06:53

Soozikinzi

Sorry, I don’t understand the question.

sazz1 Tue 29-Nov-22 01:08:14

What three words gives you an exact location anywhere in the world. It's an ap online but not something couriers use as far as I know

Ailidh Tue 29-Nov-22 04:58:25

Daddima

Soozikinzi

Sorry, I don’t understand the question.

I tried that with a courier who'd got lost and rung me but he had no idea what it meant. I think I eventually collection d it from the wrong address up the road.

I haven't had many problems with Royal Mail, nothing's got lost, just not delivered on strike days. On the other hand, I'd planned to use a courier for the two things I have to send before Christmas, so it's helpful to know that they're experiencing delays too, it hadn't occurred to me.

I ordered some huge curtains from France on eBay on 22nd, eta 29-6th, arrived by Chronopost and DPD on 27th. So far, so good.

Hetty58 Tue 29-Nov-22 05:41:45

Things will take a bit longer - as always in December - due to the sheer volume of deliveries. Still, I get everything online and don't miss the dreaded queues out there.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 29-Nov-22 06:41:00

Amazon Prime give you a delivery date, usually the next day and they always stick to it. We ordered some tops from Cotton Trader last week and they were delivered by Evri 2 days later.

Royal Mail haven’t been so good, MissOops sent a package off last week and the next day our Postman told us that it had turned up again at our local sorting office, the main sorting office had read her sending address as the delivery address, our Postman had to resend it.

Daddima Tue 29-Nov-22 11:58:02

sazz1

What three words gives you an exact location anywhere in the world. It's an ap online but not something couriers use as far as I know

Thank you, sazz1. I understand now!