Gransnet forums

Competitions

Share your favourite leftovers recipe to win a signed River Cottage book

(59 Posts)
Ara Sat 17-Oct-15 07:53:20

Left over mash and veg I fry up the next daynfor bubble and squeak. Delish

sophie56 Sat 17-Oct-15 07:21:39

My Nanny used to make Rissoles using leftover mash and veg, just add mashed chickpeas and mixed ground nuts and and egg. roll in flour and shape - delicious fried with an egg! I make these at least once a week - inexpensive and nutritious

hdh74 Fri 16-Oct-15 23:33:00

Leftovers go into pasta dishes, curries, soups, and hashes. We genuinely waste practically no food at all.

prwilson Fri 16-Oct-15 23:12:53

I like to make a curry or a risotto with my leftovers.

I also like to to freeze any leftovers and thus have an easy meal at a later date.

mollie Fri 16-Oct-15 19:27:51

I've just borrowed this book from our (lovely) library and would buy it for the very helpful advice alone. It's the sort of book new cooks ought to be given because it talks a lot of sense about kitchen management which seems to get lost or overlooked by most other cookbooks.

pipdog Fri 16-Oct-15 15:48:33

I always buy a big pack of sausages so I can make this.

4 good quality cooked sausage, I use Cumberland
2 large eating apples
tin of chopped tomatoes
1 onion roughly chopped.

gently soften the onions in a little butter (or oil), thickly slice the sausages and add to the pan with the tomatoes, peel core and cut the apples into 8 and add to the pan. Cook until the apples are softened.

Serve with paste or rice.

Makes 2 large servings

Riverwalk Fri 16-Oct-15 13:01:05

Leftovers go in an omelette, spiced-up with a few chilli flakes, and sprinkled with chopped parsley to 'posh' it up a bit!

Grannyknot Fri 16-Oct-15 12:40:55

I love Hugh FW.

Here's my favourite left overs recipe (I didn't know you need recipes for using up left overs) grin

Leftover Fritters.

1 cup of any leftover vegetables or meat, chopped up.
1 chopped raw onion.
1 slice of white bread, dampened with milk and a splash of boiling water.
1 large egg lightly beaten.
Salt, pepper, chilli or any other seasoning.

Mix it all up together (the bread disintegrates into the mixture) and fry tablespoons of the mixture in shallow oil to make small patties. Serve with sauce or chutney of choice.

Amazingly tasty.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Oct-15 12:29:04

We've got two signed copies of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's new book Love Your Leftovers to give away, and all you need to do to enter the draw is let us know your favourite recipes and tips for using up leftover food and scraps.

And if you need some inspiration, take a look at some of the delicious recipes from the book... Leave yours below by 30 October for a chance to win.