Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win more than £500 of brilliant summer reads *NOW CLOSED*

(961 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Jun-18 15:50:26

We've rounded up some of the best books for summer - whether you're jetting off on holiday, or reading in the garden at home.

One lucky person can win everything featured on the page - a book haul worth over £500. Details of all the books HERE and T&Cs HERE We will be picking a winner at random after midday on Monday 23 July.

To enter...simply tell us your favourite and least favourite thing about summer.

sleavercole1 Tue 12-Jun-18 16:01:59

Spending time with family is the best bit and the worst is being hot all the time!

lemongrove Tue 12-Jun-18 16:05:05

Fave thing: warmth
Least fave thing: wasps

gillybob Tue 12-Jun-18 16:20:22

Well assuming we do eventually get a summer in the North East this year ;

My favourite things is walking along the sea shore with my grandchildren in the evening after school, with our socks and shoes in our hands ! ( me telling them not to get soaked .....and them getting soaked )

My worst thing is being stuck at work looking out of the window onto a bright and sunshiny day wishing I was at home in my garden .

Sar53 Tue 12-Jun-18 16:44:53

My favourite thing is seeing the sun shine on the sea and sparkle. My worst thing is living in a flat with no outside space and not being able to just step outside into the sunshine.

JoGibbons Tue 12-Jun-18 16:49:48

My favourite thing is spending time with the children during their summer holidays, the worst is the hay fever that I suffer from.

shirlsdon Tue 12-Jun-18 16:52:01

I love having long lazy days reading now that I've retired from teaching. I I don't like restless hot nights being unable to sleep.

bebe2 Tue 12-Jun-18 16:57:44

I love being able to open all the windows to get some fresh air into the house.

I hate exposing my arms and trying to find summer clothes in the shops which have longer sleeves

morethan2 Tue 12-Jun-18 16:58:32

the Best thing is the long bright warm summer evenings.
Worst thing is all the creepy crawlies.

Grannyknot Tue 12-Jun-18 17:22:07

The best thing is the blue skies, the bluer, the better sunshine.

The worst thing is being hot on the London Underground packed with millions of people!

leilajay21 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:24:45

My favourite thing about summer is able to ditch the jacket and wear lighter clothes.
My least favourite thing about summer is the night heat as it mainly disturb my sleep.

JulesC4 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:26:42

My favourite thing about summer is going to the beach & watching my grandson have the time of his life making sandcastles with motes near the sea, then watching them fill up & disappear as the tide comes in. He gets so excited. The worst thing about summer is when it's hot and clammy weather, not necessarily with sunshine. This plus my hot flushes do not make a good combination!

Nelli123 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:27:16

Least favourite is when the weather gets too hot to sleep at night and most favourite is to have lovely country walks.

gran1 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:37:22

Early morning cup of tea in the garden is my favourite and hot sticky nights the least favourite

MRSBSENIOR Tue 12-Jun-18 17:38:34

The best thing about summer is the sun, and the worst is people moaning its too hot after the same people have been moaning the winter is too cold.

silverdragon Tue 12-Jun-18 17:58:55

Summer seems to bring out the best in people, much nicer in shops and on public transport. The worse is those b*****d midges that bite me overnight - I look as though I've got the measles!

Katheryn Tue 12-Jun-18 18:34:44

Favourite: reading outside in the sun
Least favourite: when it's too hot to sleep at night

GrandmasueUK Tue 12-Jun-18 18:47:29

The most favourite thing about summer is mealtimes out in the garden but the least favourite is having to listen to other people's music played loudly.

Cherrytree59 Tue 12-Jun-18 18:52:31

I love summer.
Favourite - 2 of my grandsons were born in the summer (July) so we have joint birthday party in our garden complete with bouncy castle and a 6 foot dinosaur called Nicolegrin

Least favourite - Every summer we seem to have ant ? invasion shock

minesaprosecco Tue 12-Jun-18 18:55:38

Best thing about summer is being able to walk anywhere for so much longer each day. I love walking, and summer means I can see where I'm going in the fields and woods until at least 9 o'clock.
Worst thing is the inevitable sunburn when I, yet again, over estimate how much sun my fair skin can tolerate.

SueDonim Tue 12-Jun-18 19:05:23

Best thing about summer is being warm and not needing so many clothes.

The worst thing about summer is when the weather disappoints us by being chilly and/or wet.

wildswan16 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:15:59

Summer means the windows are open so the dawn chorus wakes me up - a wonderful start to the day.

I live in Scotland - so obviously the worst thing is the midgies !

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:23:43

My favourite thing about summer is being outside, wherever, without being bundled up in coats, scarves and hats.
My least favourite thing about summer is being bitten by gnats and mozzies who make a 'beeline' for me.

Treebee Tue 12-Jun-18 19:29:15

Lots of favourite things about summer, so it’s hard to choose, but I think it’s the summer garden. I love the colourful, scented flowers and the fresh, delicious vegetables.
Least favourite is when it all comes to an end and the school term starts.

1969angep Tue 12-Jun-18 19:30:00

I love eating 80% of our meals outdoors in the garden and hearing the birds sing over relaxed dining.
I hate hot stuffy nights that mean it’s really hard to sleep