Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a Roberts radio and a copy of The Double Dangerous Book for Boys *NOW CLOSED*

(1000 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Nov-19 14:43:08

To celebrate the release of The Double Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Iggulden, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky gransnetter the chance to win a Roberts Revival radio worth £159.99 and a copy of the book.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 11th December.

To enter simply tell us... What childhood game, project or activity do you look back on most fondly?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

--

The thread is getting close to 1000 posts - the maximum number we can have on a thread - so we've made a new thread for when this one is full which you can find here. grin

jacq10 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:02:18

Chinese Checkers - played with my Dad. I was an only child so we didn't play many board games but I really enjoyed playing this.

Direne3 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:17:12

.Wandering across the fields, looking for wild flowers

kittylester Mon 11-Nov-19 15:17:24

I grew up in a village and we childre had lots of freedom to roam. My favourite game was building dens in the fields at the end of our lane with whoever happened to be about!

KatyK Mon 11-Nov-19 15:17:47

I once received a Compendium of Games for Christmas. It was so exciting to open it up and fine snakes and ladders, Ludo, tiddlywinks etc, with dice and counters. Hours of simple fun.

Goldnotold Mon 11-Nov-19 15:19:40

When I was a child I used to love picking flowers and pressing them in a flower press. I used to put them in a book and the flowers reminded me of special occasions and fun times. I enjoyed following the seasons by the flowers and would pick and press snowdrops and crocuses to daffodils and then to bright sunflowers. I might treat myself to a Flower Press just for old times sake.

NannyJan53 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:34:59

The childhood game I fondly remember is 'Queenie I'

One child stood with their back to the others, and threw a ball over the head. Whoever caught the ball held it behind their back, and we all stepped forward a step at a time. The child at the front turned round and had to guess who had the ball. If we all came level and they hadn't guessed, the one with the ball became Queenie.

marpau Mon 11-Nov-19 15:35:19

Taking a packed lunch and going on bike rides with friends. We would set off after breakfast and come home in time for tea no one worried about the dangers of today.

supernannyjane Mon 11-Nov-19 15:37:20

When I was a child in the 70s I loved receiving a new box of crayons, drawing pad and colouring book each Christmas. I used to while away many an hour drawing and colouring, especially when we were caravanning because I seem to remember it raining a lot on holiday - I still love the sound of rain on a caravan roof! My three year old grandaughter seems to have inherited this trait too - here she is doing a spot of drawing (in the same caravan!).

Purpledaffodil Mon 11-Nov-19 15:40:03

I was an only child until I was 7. Remember with fondness doing jigsaw puzzles with my parents in front of the fire with the wireless playing. We always seemed to have a large jigsaw on the go. And it was so exciting and yet disappointing when they were finished.

QuaintIrene Mon 11-Nov-19 15:42:15

Hopscotch, French skipping and jigsaws indoors if it was wet. I got most of my books and toys from jumble sales. There were crazes at school. One month skipping, the next Oranges and lemons, knitting and so on.

Yorksherlass Mon 11-Nov-19 15:42:31

I remember chalking the pavement to play hopscotch and also playing twoball against the wall, probably drove the neighbours mad !!

yggdrasil Mon 11-Nov-19 15:51:34

I used to be a whizz at jacks. Odd because I have never had big hands to hold many on the back. That was played with a ball, but I also played fivestones.

jroberts1 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:55:24

My favourite childhood thing was bilberry picking in summer and then helping to bake bilberry pies.On a similer theme we spent hours conkering.

garyp Mon 11-Nov-19 16:06:03

I always enjoyed kick out can its like hide and seek but you can play it in teams and always fun especially when you could get a lass you where keen on to hide with you

Snowstarry Mon 11-Nov-19 16:06:58

Using my brother's airgun for target practice. Only once the dart landed in my other brother's head. No ill effects though.

Alima Mon 11-Nov-19 16:07:15

Playing cowboys and Indians in the field next door to our country pub.

grannylyn65 Mon 11-Nov-19 16:13:06

Oooo I remember queenie, we used to call ‘queenie I oko ko ?

Auntieflo Mon 11-Nov-19 16:13:16

I had a scrap book and spent many a happy hour, cutting out pictures of the Royal Family.

Also loved colouring in and the smell of my new box of Lakeland coloured pencils. Bliss.

Marmight Mon 11-Nov-19 16:17:17

Jacks. I remember playing this for hours with friends in the playground and also on my own at home. I still have my original set in the bag my Mum made for it!

headsy12 Mon 11-Nov-19 16:18:27

playing 'jacks' I played for hours and loved it.

knickas63 Mon 11-Nov-19 16:21:13

Den building! We used to drag all sorts of rubbish to an area behind a block of garages. There was a ditch running along it and it was lined by huge Oaktrees. We used to make Dens and Tree Houses using the branches. Old carpet for the flooring. My mother would have had a fit if she had known what we got up to. It wasn't the most sanitary of places, and some of our dens were a couple of foot up and not very safe, but we had so much fun.

MamaCaz Mon 11-Nov-19 16:30:22

Roller skating on our most unsuitable local roads (very steep!) with my friend.

hellymart Mon 11-Nov-19 16:34:40

I used to play Monopoly for hours with a friend. We'd bet stamps from our precious stamp collections and whoever won, got them!

shandi6570 Mon 11-Nov-19 16:38:50

Summer holidays spent scrambling over the rocks with my Dad and brother, looking for the best rock pools to fish in, happy days.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion