Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win Learning Resources goodies worth over £200

(258 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Jun-20 09:44:24

We've teamed up with educational toy and games company Learning Resources to offer a fantastic bundle of prizes to one gransnetter worth over £200 - perfect for grandchildren who are being homeschooled.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 11th July.

During the coronavirus lockdown, many grandparents have (virtually) stepped in to support parents and children with home learning. It’s been an important way to stay connected but it’s also been a huge help to parents.

So to enter simply tell us... What have you found has worked for your grandchildren with home learning, and has this, and having to stay in touch virtually in general, changed your relationships with your grandchildren?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

Sappho Fri 26-Jun-20 14:38:36

My little grandson does FaceTime with me at breakfast. This gives us a chance for me to encourage him with his new weaning routine and I have a little puppet puppy who he loves to see whenever we are online together. Learning and having fun at the same time!

valleysusan Fri 26-Jun-20 18:40:29

Patience, routine, discipline, praise, treats all done and given with kindness and love. Also being able to give them their own space and choices to do what they would like to do.

mandydoherty65 Fri 26-Jun-20 19:22:48

My daughter does things like card making to get my grandson practising his handwriting, baking to cover sciences and she also gets my grandson to read to me over video call and then I read him a story.

dragonfly63 Sat 27-Jun-20 11:27:33

Unfortunately my granddaughters live several hours away and although the little one gets excited when we have contact via an Alexa Echo the four year old runs in the opposite direction and almost always refuses to speak to us. Hopefully this will correct itself when we are able to meet again.

crowfeather Sat 27-Jun-20 11:40:25

Find the balance between showing them how and letting them try for themselves

Kidzkan Sat 27-Jun-20 16:23:32

We have included our granddaughters aged 7 and four, through WhatsApp video in a series of projects that have kept us busy too. From hatching chickens, making a tree den, to refurbishing a dolls house, they are so keen to be involved they WhatsApp us with questions. Luckily have been able to come and play here outside recently. We have always communicated like this as we live 60 miles away and feel these projects really enhance their learning and keep us involved.

TYG123 Sat 27-Jun-20 17:30:26

We only communicate via Skype but it's still contact that we are so lucky to have. We don't get that long before their attention wanders but we've found that lots of variety and plenty of encouragement seems to work well

sandralg Sat 27-Jun-20 20:46:44

sharing stories- reading a book via Zoom to my 3 year old grandson has been great. Also setting him games/challenges -e.g. find me 5 things that start with sound 's', (play activities that encompass counting and phonics). Lots of praise and encouragement.

Fize81 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:59:58

I make everything fun,they just want to continue when it’s like that and lots of praise of course,also regular breaks in between

Nannilyn Sun 28-Jun-20 15:21:24

I have found that spending time out of doors with the Grandchildren has sparked an interest in Wildlife & Flora ! My young Granddaughter, age 7 has a good interest in all insects & actively looks for new examples to study -she is currently nurturing some Cabbage White Caterpillars found in Nannies Garden & we are having a Sunflower growing contest!!For someone who used to screech at spiders this is good progress- the next' David Bellamy' on the way??

Bryanmurphy1956 Sun 28-Jun-20 16:16:40

Sticking to a routine is essential

manda39 Sun 28-Jun-20 17:19:13

Variety and keeping them interested..sending cards and little surprises for them

michelleblane Mon 29-Jun-20 12:46:30

Making learning fun and relevant.

kathward Mon 29-Jun-20 23:10:50

Stick to a routine as lessons have to be done but let them know there will be something nice to do afterwards

CatMit86 Tue 30-Jun-20 08:18:51

Having a good solid routine, and sticking to it I think is the most important thing. Children thrive with routine. No, our relationship hasn’t changed, I do miss them so much though.

wendybiv Tue 30-Jun-20 08:30:04

By keeping in touch and keeping a routine

williamsgwynfa Tue 30-Jun-20 09:08:28

We have kept to a routine, but have developed other skills such as planting seeds in the garden and baking :D

Gardendisy Tue 30-Jun-20 10:09:11

Love and understanding, empathy patience and praise. Once you have these things a child will learn.

Terri1806 Tue 30-Jun-20 19:23:54

Making learning fun. It may not be the same things they would learn in school but my dgc have enjoyed lots of new experiences. We share over zoom and Skype, read together. We probably talk a lot more than normal because we all have the time

Taylor46id Tue 30-Jun-20 23:42:51

We did struggle for weeks with being closed in but I am lucky enough to live with my granddaughter so as she is only 2 we found keeping a structure in place was the best thing, even when the difficult days arrived with mummy working upstairs from home and Daddy not used to being home we tried to calm the waters buy breakfast then an hours play followed by a snack and some learning like singing rhymes then lunch with a bit of bite size then followed by colouring or flash cards then a little bit of chill time in front of the Disney Chanel until mummy finishes work then bath fun tea and bed but let me tell you it has been a difficult and winding road but hopefully normality is getting closer 🤞

allythackray Wed 01-Jul-20 11:51:18

nothing beats personal contact, but when needs must, you adapt - as with everything. FaceTime is a novelty and surprise calls are best. A reality check is needed right now, but hopefully we'll be back to 'normal' whatever that is, very soon now

minilynn3 Wed 01-Jul-20 23:27:04

My grandchildren have had teir homeschooling mostly with their parents but enjoy having a bedtime story read to them by myself or Grandad and also playing games like bingo and scavenger hunt on facetime!

sherrenthorpe Thu 02-Jul-20 09:04:49

Having the children help with other things like cooking, gardening and painting inbetween and making these things fun. It has been quite hard on us all as my grandchildren are so loving with their cuddles and hugs. Cant wait for us all to be safe and continue where we left off.

Giros Thu 02-Jul-20 10:36:27

I'm still shielding, Contact with grandchildren only via video for them to show what they were doing. Their mum would appreciate this Learning Resourses pack. And me too!

alex621 Thu 02-Jul-20 13:58:52

Making the learning fun and not getting too stressed about getting them to do things is the key