Gransnet forums

Competitions

MORE PUBLISHING OPPORTUNITIES FOR OLDER WRTERS

(6 Posts)
songstress60 Tue 25-Feb-20 18:30:22

I would like to see more publishing opportunities for unpublished older writers, because it seems to be a closed shop. I am sick of seeing publicity for new, YOUNG writers. I have been writing for 30 years, have attended various writing classes, but all to no avail. I have actually heard it said that agents refuse to take on older writers. Let's have more competitions for unpublished OLDER writers. We really need a break.

NotTooOld Wed 26-Feb-20 17:42:26

Hear, hear! And GN would be the ideal place. How about a short story competition with the winners being 'published' on here?

Daisymae Wed 26-Feb-20 18:44:47

Writing competition is an excellent idea. I don't really see how a publisher or competition for a written piece of work would/could discriminate on the basis of age? Not like you have to attach a photo.

Jane10 Wed 26-Feb-20 18:45:36

I think there was a competition on here quite recently. Competitions aren't the only way to publication anyway.
If you've been writing for 30 years you weren't 'older' when you started writing! Agents look at the potential for publication. Is there a market for your work? Bottom line is there money to be made from it for them?

rowanflower0 Wed 01-Apr-20 16:55:40

I run a creative writing group in my local U3A.
Through that, although I live in Staffordshire, I receive a regular newsheet produced by Cheshire West and Chester which lists lots of competitions and openings for artists, film-makers, photographers, & writers, many for older people.
Are you an artist, writer or performer? Email artswest@cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk to sign up for FREE Chainlinks bulletins for a round-up of the latest creative opportunities!

rowanflower0 Wed 01-Apr-20 17:01:35

Poetry competition for women over 60, deadline April 30th:

www.greyhenpress.com/poetry-competition-2020-entry-rules/