Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 Amazon voucher, a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter and a bundle of her best selling books worth £55

(682 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Apr-21 10:06:59

To celebrate the release of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky Gransnetter the chance to win a £100 Amazon voucher and a set of 5 bestselling Karin Slaughter books, including her latest paperback, The Silent Wife, and an early proof copy of her new book, False Witness – not out until June!

The bundle includes:
- The Silent Wife (RRP £8.99)
- False Witness (exclusive early proof copy) (RRP £20.00)
- The Good Daughter (RRP £8.99)
- Pieces of Her (RRP £8.99)
- The Last Widow (RRP £8.99)

4 runners up will each receive a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter.

To enter simply tell us... What is your favourite crime/thriller book and what do you love about reading thrillers? We will be picking a winner after 11am on 13th May.

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already. And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox…

You can find out more about The Silent Wife here:

Looking for your next page-turner? Make Karin Slaughter’s latest thriller, The Silent Wife, your new read. This No.1 Sunday Times crime thriller is full of twists and turns, with characters you’ll root for and an emotional punch that will leave you reeling. If you haven’t read Karin Slaughter before, now is the time!

He watches.
A woman runs alone in the woods. She convinces herself she has no reason to be afraid, but she’s wrong. A predator is stalking the women of Grant County. He lingers in the shadows, until the time is just right to snatch his victim.

He waits.
A decade later, the case has been closed. The killer is behind bars. But then another young woman is brutally attacked and left for dead, and the MO is identical.

He takes.
Although the original trail has gone cold – memories have faded, witnesses have disappeared – agent Will Trent and forensic pathologist Sara Linton must re-open the cold case. But the clock is ticking, and the killer is determined to find his perfect silent wife….

Competition T&Cs apply - find them here

Franbern Thu 15-Apr-21 11:54:05

Love reading thrillers, as it gives my brain some outing. Actually prefer historic ones as none of the problems with forensics, etc. and it remains totally unreal for me.
Like so many people The Murder of Roger Ackroyd remains one of the best and cleverest of thrillers, closely matched by ABC Murders.

Calendargirl Thu 15-Apr-21 12:12:39

So many good ones, can’t remember them all.

I’ll plump for ‘Close To Home’ by Cara Hunter.

Just fascinated by the way the authors work out all the plot lines really, keeping you hooked until the last page.

?

Teacheranne Thu 15-Apr-21 12:30:26

I love any crime novels or dark psychological thrillers, the more gruesome the better! But the plot needs to be believable and not too far fetched or too disjointed. I particularly like to read a series of books with the same lead characters in them so if I find one I enjoy, I then binge read others by the same author. I have read all the Karin Slaughter novels after being introduced to her books by my book club. I am currently enjoying the Anderson and Costello thrillers by Caro Ramsey which are set around Glasgow. I tend to read thrillers set in the present day rather than historical ones as I can relate better to the characters and settings.

Kate1949 Thu 15-Apr-21 12:31:37

I enjoy reading thrillers. I like Harlan Cobens's books. I particularly enjoyed Gone for Good. It was very clever and kept my interest throughout. These writers are very clever.

Grandmabatty Thu 15-Apr-21 12:49:43

Where do you start? There are so many excellent crime writers. I'm a big fan of Val Mcdermid and I found A Place of Execution by her to be chilling. I enjoy crime and thriller novels when I am wrong footed and who I was sure the baddy was, was wrong! I also like some kind of resolution at the end and a sense of completion. I like the detective to be complex in some way and I want to sympathise with them.

silverlining48 Thu 15-Apr-21 13:03:18

Currently Enjoying Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter and my book of choice is always a good thriller, either psychological or criminal. We share the same name, I just wish I could write as well as she does, but second best is reading someone else's clever plots with their twists and turns. Following these plots helps keep me on my toes.

Jaxjacky Thu 15-Apr-21 14:08:35

I’ve just finished Hangman (Daniel Cole) second out of a trilogy, awaiting delivery of the third, Endgame. Mysteries in mysteries, quite bizarre and gruesome. I like them as I can’t guess any outcomes, I hate it if I guess part way through and they’re set in recent times, not historical.

Auntieflo Thu 15-Apr-21 15:16:43

My favourite books have to be the Sue Grafton series, A for Alibi, etc.

I have them all, and was upset when she died before the final one 'Z' was written.

I did wonder whether her daughter might have tried to finish the series.

hulahoop Thu 15-Apr-21 15:48:47

I enjoy Karin slaughter books don't have a favourite I am reading The poison Garden by Alex Harwood which my daughter have me only a few pages in at the moment .?

Rosie51 Thu 15-Apr-21 16:54:21

Too many to pick a favourite, love the crime and thriller genre, so will just go with the last one I read I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes, which my son gave to my husband and I'd never got around to reading.

milliemoomoo Thu 15-Apr-21 17:25:30

Would have to be Linda La plants her books are amazing!

wilkeithson Thu 15-Apr-21 17:28:55

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh because the twist halfway through turns the story completely on it’s head. Also must mention The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie for the best ending of any thriller I have ever read. I just love the way you are always guessing in thrillers just what is going to happen next.

Andrea1 Thu 15-Apr-21 17:42:55

My favourite thriller book is Girl on the train by Paula Hawkins.

maciv234 Thu 15-Apr-21 17:46:12

love anything by stephen king

Parsley3 Thu 15-Apr-21 17:46:44

I love reading thrillers because they are like puzzles and I have to concentrate to pick up the clues. My favourite writer is Ellie Griffiths whose books are packed with forensic information alongside a gentle love interest.

eGJ Thu 15-Apr-21 17:53:14

Just listening to Elly Griffiths as I post parsley!

My favourites are all the Simon Serrallier books by Susan Hill

MandyS Thu 15-Apr-21 18:10:45

I read a lot of crime thrillers, what I like about three is the twists and turns , the drama and suspense. I like to try to figure out what is going on. One of my favourites is Death on the Nile. I’m a big fan of Agatha Christie.

blue25 Thu 15-Apr-21 18:46:10

I loved The Grant County Series by Karin Slaughter. I also like Ian Rankin & Lisa Jewell.

adrisco Thu 15-Apr-21 18:49:14

My favourite is "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" - the ending gave me such a shock - still remember the feeling after 50 years! I still love crime and thriller books .. especially psychological thrillers. I love the tension and suspense.

Wendyfaint Thu 15-Apr-21 19:10:39

Womens Murder Club Books by James Patteson - Fab

jroberts1 Thu 15-Apr-21 19:14:10

I absolutely loved Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. I thought the twist at the end was brilliant.The tv adaptation was quite good but didnt have the same effect as the book.I wanted to read it again to see if I could have seen the ending coming. .

HurdyGurdy Thu 15-Apr-21 19:25:43

I have enjoyed the books by Shalini Boland. I like the twists and turns and trying to work out "whodunnit".

Sometimes I get the salient clue straight away, other times its in the final pages.

And I've just bought The Murder of Roger Ackroyd for my Kindle based on two posters on this thread saying the same thing about the ending grin. My current Harlen Corben book will have to go on the back burner for now

Yasmin0147 Thu 15-Apr-21 19:28:56

I liked a woman in the window, I like reading thrillers because they are unpredictable and exciting.

thecatwhisper Thu 15-Apr-21 19:51:19

I'll go with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by stieg larrson because there is dispute whether this was based on a something Larrson experienced first hand or whether he was recounting someone else's story. A gripping read from start to finish. I like reading thrillers as I like to play detective in my head and try to work out what is going to happen next or who done it.