Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Hang on, corona virus isn't ALL bad...

(37 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 14-Mar-20 19:08:26

Or am I being unfair? Has he seen Bozza lately?

growstuff Sun 15-Mar-20 10:41:41

If this is the source

www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/resource/adult-flu-vaccination-coverage

it's only for people over 65, which is what I stated.

Callistemon Sun 15-Mar-20 10:58:06

BradfordLass I agree with your post

All except the bit that says it's influenza, it's not!

Chestnut Sun 15-Mar-20 11:02:57

I think the OP is in very bad taste and not the least funny. You are wishing what could be a fatal illness on someone who is in the high risk group.

NanaHev Sun 15-Mar-20 11:16:56

Coronavirus is a totally new virus and the current vaccination will have no effect whatsoever. The experts keep saying that a new vaccination is being worked on but may not be ready for some time and when it is the medics will get it first and rightly so.

Missfoodlove Sun 15-Mar-20 11:24:21

It’s not flu and cannot be compared to flu, there is no vaccine!
It is pointless telling us how many people die from flu each year, or cancer or road accidents or snake bites.
This is a new mutating virus.
We are experiencing a pandemic.
Keep calm and carry on does not apply.
Keep Calm and keep your self to yourself is what should apply.

Callistemon Sun 15-Mar-20 11:26:27

No, the OP isn't funny.

However, some of the post on here are worth reading, very sensible.

Rosina Sun 15-Mar-20 11:37:41

I've had an email today from the Head of Sainbury's - not a personal one I hasten to add - but it assures me that there is absolutely no need to panic buy as the suppliers are working away to ensure that the shelves will be filled in spite of over buying.
On a slightly different tack I would be pleased to have the figures for those that have recovered so far. Nadine Dorres has announced in a Sunday Times article that she is now better, as is her mother who is over 80. Can we not just be told that there are over 1,000 people infected, as yes, that is the accumulative total, but many hundreds are now either well again or recovering. This won't be headline news of course - those seemingly must inspire panic and despondency. It was mentioned once on the BBC ten o' clock news over a week ago, when there were 300 plus cases, and the announcer said '.....and half are now recovered' . More of this, please.

M0nica Sun 15-Mar-20 12:05:43

I didn't actually read the OP, just responded to a post.

Black humour has always been a way of getting through times of crisis. I expect undertakers are telling some good jokes at present, but only between themselves.

SirChenjin Sun 15-Mar-20 12:07:41

I got that too Rosina - it was very sensible and measured I thought. I’m just back from Sainsbury’s, everyone was very calm, there were some empty shelves as you’d expect but plenty of everything else. The lady at the checkout and I both agreed the supermarkets could have done more to limit certain items from an earlier stage to address the panic buying but there’s plenty in the warehouses, it’s just taking time to get everything to the shops and into the shelves.

Rosina Sun 15-Mar-20 12:53:48

I've just seen a clip of the Tesco store at Stanford le Hope, Essex. People were queueing outside with trolleys waiting for the shop to open, and there must have been hundreds of them stretching across the car park. If this is repeated across the nation I think we will be lucky to see one solitary tin of spaghetti hoops on the shelf when the panic buyers have finally left. However, once they have fridges, freezers, cupboards, lofts, spare rooms, the dogs basket and their garages stuffed to the rafters with supplies the rest of us can shop calmly.

SirChenjin Sun 15-Mar-20 13:41:10

It seems to be an inconsistent picture across the country - hopefully the supermarkets will start clamping down soon on these offenders.