Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Planning, not panicking

(1 Post)
grannyactivist Sun 15-Mar-20 14:11:10

I am slightly perplexed at the confusion there seems to be about the difference between 'planning' and 'panicking'. I believe that in making decisions based on my own personal circumstances I am 'planning' to act in what I believe is in both mine and other's best interests. And yet there seems to be a view that in doing so I (and others making similar decisions), am panicking.

Planning is the process of thinking about and organizing the activities required to achieve a desired goal. Planning involves the creation and maintenance of a plan. As such, planning is a fundamental property of intelligent behaviour.

Panic is a sudden sensation of fear, which is so strong as to dominate or prevent reason and logical thinking, replacing it with overwhelming feelings of anxiety and frantic agitation consistent with an animalistic fight-or-flight reaction.

Portraying my 'reasonable response' to this current crisis as 'panic' is to deny my carefully thought behaviour and re-cast it as something it is not.