Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Ok for healthy 65 to babysit??

(35 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:42:20

I would not babysit- where have the children been- with whom have they mixed at school during the day?

We have been told to keep our social distance- this is included.

Hithere Sat 21-Mar-20 13:40:34

Not sure where my comment went

My dh and I work from home and also take care of our kids.

Our companies and coworkers understand what is going on now and welcome the kids "contributing " in meetings, TV sound in the background, having to step away to stop a fight, etc.

Your dd, sil and kids will adjust.

Hithere Sat 21-Mar-20 13:31:45

No! It is not!

It is plain common sense.

Washerwoman Sat 21-Mar-20 13:21:54

I was willing to still have our DGCs or so DD can return to work as a nurse.I'm 60 years old.She hasn't said as much but she has kept her distance all week even though we live a stones throw away.I must confess this morning I woke up feeling very sad and had a little weep.I already miss actual cuddles and kisses from them.But we will do whatever is best.An old lady said to me yesterday as we chatted from a distance this is worse than the war.I thought really ?Then realised she would have only been a tiny child and the full hardships wouldn't have registered as they would for her parents.But as I've just said to DH at least in the war people went to the theatre, pubs etc and could hug each other ?

notanan2 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:06:11

Its mainly only 50s being afftected (but also younger if on bp/diabetic meds etc) so the threshold is pretty low.

That puts some PARENTS in the vulnerable group shockshock

suziewoozie Sat 21-Mar-20 13:03:18

Thing are the family really self isolating? Are they not going shopping?

Thingmajig Sat 21-Mar-20 12:59:23

We are early/mid 60's and have always done some childminding for the grandkids. We have been apart since last Monday and now they have no school/nursery, both parents working from home. Our thinking is that when they have been isolated for 7 days, we (assuming we are all healthy) will start having them here again to give mum and dad peace to do a decent days work. The weather is staring to improve and they love being in the garden, so even better.

Sunlover Sat 21-Mar-20 11:49:58

I’m 66 and healthy but staying away from grandkids. They can be infectious without appearing ill. My friend has just been admitted to hospital and is on oxygen. I don’t want to risk being in her shoes.

Jacdee Sat 21-Mar-20 11:46:05

I am in exactly the same boat, very confused as to whether the 'keep children away from grandparents' advice means just over 70s and at risk people or includes ALL grandparents. DD concerned for me and her stepfather who is 67 (also in good health) and we'd all really appreciate some advice.

Grannynannywanny Sat 21-Mar-20 10:24:42

I normally provide childcare for 2 grandchildren till parents home from work. I absolutely want to continue this but dd and sil are concerned for me and reluctant to let me visit. I can’t find “official” advice on my dilemma. Anyone know please?