Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Post a letter

(82 Posts)
Dawn22 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:27:33

Can anyone advise.
Is it ok to post a letter and could germs be carried this way; on paper; hand to hand.
Should know answer but am just uncertain.

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 07:40:08

I posted something a couple of days ago. I emailed the recipient beforehand, so he knew it was coming, and advised him not to touch it with bare hands and to leave it, preferably outside, for two days.

I'm currently wearing disposable gloves when opening anything which comes through the door.

Hetty58 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:49:02

Same here, growstuff. I'm picking up the post with a doggie bag and leaving it two days before opening (washing hands afterwards, too).

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 24-Mar-20 08:19:23

Our post plops directly into a carrier bag where it stays until the next post is due. Not much arriving at the moment.
If anything bulky arrives I hold out the bag and the delivery chap throws it For me to catch.

They are surprisingly good at getting the package into the bag.

M0nica Tue 24-Mar-20 08:32:15

I have a plastic box outside the front door labelled deliveries.

silverlining48 Tue 24-Mar-20 08:39:43

Oh Lordy I just pick mail up and open it and didn’t think about washing my hands or wearing gloves ?
So much to remember so thanks for the reminder

MiniMoon Tue 24-Mar-20 09:48:38

I used disposable gloves to bring in the wheelie bin yesterday. I haven't done so with the post, I've just been washing my hands well after opening it.

henetha Tue 24-Mar-20 10:40:56

I went out at 10 o'clock last night to post letters in our nearest box. I wore gloves. And still washed my hands when I got back.
I'm using plastic gloves to pick up post when it arrives, or when opening any parcels.

Calendargirl Tue 24-Mar-20 10:46:37

I wash my hands when dealing with post, but open it when it comes, don’t leave it on ice, so to speak.

Luckygirl Tue 24-Mar-20 10:48:57

I just wash my hands after opening the post. I think that is sufficient.

paddyanne Tue 24-Mar-20 12:20:27

I'm considering a post office trip .Its my GD's birthday at the weekend and the wee soul is gutted that there wont be a party or even a friend over .She's such a good girl and brilliant at helping her sick mum .even been giving her bed baths this past two weeks after she had surgery.
I think if she could get her presents through the post it might put a smile on her face,but is it wrong of me to prioitise something like a a birthday

Labaik Tue 24-Mar-20 12:28:33

For a long time I've been meaning to cancel catalogues that I no longer buy stuff from. I must email the companies and cancel [but will anyone be reading the emails? still not sure what is still functioning at the moment....].

SalsaQueen Tue 24-Mar-20 13:51:31

Some people are in danger of becoming carried away with all this - I would think that in receiving something through the post, open it, read it, then wash your hands. I don't think it's too difficult.

Nonogran Tue 24-Mar-20 13:58:44

Agreed Salsa! And a big thank you to my postman for handling the post in the first place. We all have to do what makes us feel comfortable but I just wash hands after opening my post. Fingers crossed!

Labaik Tue 24-Mar-20 15:03:50

As there don't seem to be definite guidelines as to how the virus is transmitted I would think that it's better to err on the side of caution. No body really knows exactly why this virus is so contagious but it seems to stay on surfaces and is airborne too.

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 15:23:48

That's what I think Labaik. I'm going to do my damdest to avoid getting it, if I can possibly help it. I know it's possibly wishful thinking, but I'm hoping there will be a vaccine before I'm in danger of catching it. My finances are precarious to say the least anyway and I've already taken a huge drop in income and will have to rely on meagre savings. I can't afford to lose the little bit of online work I still have. I live on my own, with no close family, although I've discovered I have some good friends. Knowing how rubbish social care is, I really don't know what I'll do.

Therefore, I have no intention of going out anywhere, apart from a fortnightly trip to the supermarket when I shall take all precautions. Other than that, I'm totally self-isolating and don't want to catch something from post, newspapers or anything else shoved through the letterbox.

Ellianne Tue 24-Mar-20 15:24:05

I am touching post as before andcqashing my hands immediately. Deliveries (pet food) are more worrying, the DPD man told me the depot is heaving with staff and they can't distance themselves properly.

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 15:25:07

If people think I'm getting carried away, that's their business and they're entitled to it, but I shall continue as planned.

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 15:28:05

I wore gloves the last time I went shopping and left most of my groceries outside for a day. The stuff which needed to be kept cold stayed in a plastic bag in the fridge.

I couldn't believe that people in the supermarket weren't keeping their distance.

Chestnut Tue 24-Mar-20 15:29:23

It's fine to touch the post or anything else that might be contaminated! What matters is where you put your hands after touching it, so they must be thoroughly washed before touching your face or anything else that's not contaminated.

The virus will not enter your body through your hands.

SueDonim Tue 24-Mar-20 15:31:39

Apparently the virus is less likely to survive on cardboard because it absorbs the bug, which is why the govt plans to deliver food to the vulnerable in cardboard containers. I don’t know whether it’s the same for paper envelopes.

I’ve not opened any post in days, just picked it up and left it somewhere as nothing looked important. I did wonder if you could iron or microwave it to kill bugs. ?

Daisymae Tue 24-Mar-20 15:49:47

I had a birthday card to post at the weekend I thought it would be best to seal with sellotape but I couldn't find the end. Then I took it to the postbox intending to shove it in with one push but it had a spring activated flap. So it took two goes. I had to TOUCH IT! So came home mumbling to myself 'wash your hands' etc. When did life get so complicated?

Daisymae Tue 24-Mar-20 15:51:49

The Metro carried an article advising on opening the mail. The author was someone who could advise - she said:
Open straight away, dispose of envelopes
Read and dispose of contents
Take photo if you need to deal with it later
Wash hands

silverlining48 Tue 24-Mar-20 16:14:03

paddyanne Do send your gd something for her birthday even if it’s just some money ( or cheque) in an envelope. She sounds a lovely girl. I hope she has a lovely day and also that your daughter feels better soon.
I will be sending my gc a letter every week while all this goes on. They love to get post addressed to them.

threexnanny Tue 24-Mar-20 16:50:09

I'm being careful about opening post and am not licking any envelopes I post, but hadn't thought about the paper itself.