Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The RNHS?

(89 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Mar-20 17:22:22

I just briefly misheard Rishi Sunak who was actually tripping very slightly over his words and saying "the ... our NHS". It made me think that Royal patronage is something that could be given in recognition of the NHS workers when this is all over.

paddyanne Thu 26-Mar-20 17:35:08

No thank you keep the royals away from it ,it would do the NHS no good whatsoever to have Royal stuck on the front of its name.Lets remember it wasn't started or supported by "royals" but by the ordinary people of the country .Its a "royal " free zone an dlets keep it that way

Elrel Thu 26-Mar-20 17:41:24

What’s in a name? A change would mean a superfluous and expensive rebranding .

GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:02:00

I don't think the behaviour of the population of Wootton Bassett was started by any of the royal family either. What a strange view of the accolade they were given.

We currently have a constitutional democracy with a monarch as the head of state. Until that changes such comments as above are just dog-in-the manger ones. They could hardly get a Presidents medal when we don't have one, could they?

Anniebach Thu 26-Mar-20 18:05:35

It isn’t a charity

GrannyLaine Thu 26-Mar-20 18:17:10

I have some admiration for the Royal Family.
I see no useful purpose in such a move and as others have pointed out, rebranding would be hugely expensive. I believe it is the sovereign's privilege to bestow a Royal Warrant.
Wootton Bassett isn't really a similar phenomenon to our NHS is it?

GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:18:35

So you don't feel they are going above and beyond what they are paid to do Annie? I sometimes wonder what you are going to come out with next. Those in the services get paid too but when they go above and beyond and put their own lives at risk, it is recognised.

I really don't know why I am trying to explain this to you. There is really no point is there?

GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:22:44

I presume none of you will be applauding the NHS at 8 p.m., this evening then. Perhaps you should wear a tag if you get admitted with the virus saying "Just do your job. It's nothing special". Unfortunately, they would still treat you equally to everyone else.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:26:52

We shall be out at 8pm applauding our NHS they are going beyond the call of duty.

Isn’t Nicola Sturgeon currently in charge of NHS Scotland?

Jomarie Thu 26-Mar-20 18:27:01

GGMK3 and that is precisely why we (some of us) are so very proud of them - I will be clapping at 8pm hmm

GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:31:05

Thank you GG13 and Jomarie. It doesn't have to be what I suggested. It just caught me by surprise when I thought he said RNHS, but it made me think.

Hetty58 Thu 26-Mar-20 18:33:12

Weird thought to have, though!

GrannyLaine Thu 26-Mar-20 18:34:37

GGMK3, I think you are a little muddled. All of my working life was in the NHS, at the sharp end. Of course they are doing a splendid job as they always do. But so are the shop workers and truck drivers and village shops.......... I could go on.
Shall we wait to hear from the Queen in respect of any awards?

trisher Thu 26-Mar-20 18:34:42

No thank you. It's nothing to do with the royals and most of the people who work in it like my DS and DIL wouldn't want it either.

Anniebach Thu 26-Mar-20 19:15:30

So you don't feel they are going above and beyond what they are paid to do Annie? I sometimes wonder what you are going to come out with next. Those in the services get paid too but when they go above and beyond and put their own lives at risk, it is recognised.

I really don't know why I am trying to explain this to you. There is really no point is there?

GracesGran you asked me the above, all I said was

‘The NHS isn’t a charity ‘

boat Thu 26-Mar-20 19:24:59

Didn't The Royal Mail get sold off?

EllanVannin Thu 26-Mar-20 19:27:53

We already have Royal as in RCN ?

EllanVannin Thu 26-Mar-20 19:32:10

-was a member. The Queen is patron. I'm sorry I didn't keep up the membership after I retired.

Callistemon Thu 26-Mar-20 19:35:42

I presume none of you will be applauding the NHS at 8 p.m., this evening then.

Yes, I was going to post that

Keeping an eye on the clock

Callistemon Thu 26-Mar-20 19:36:10

well, I wasn't going to post those precise words, just asking if everyone is aware of it?

paddyanne Thu 26-Mar-20 19:58:49

Of course we'll all join the "clap" for the NHS ,but until the "royals" are on the frontline working with these people long shifts and poor wages then Royal shouldn't be anywhere near the PEOPLES NHS .The royals are all holed up at various locations keeping themselves safe ..and to hell with the rest of us .Anyone who believes the NHS would want to be renamed to add royal is deluded .

Anniebach Thu 26-Mar-20 20:04:36

paddyann what do want the royal family to do ?

I am also in isolation

GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:20:14

Weird thought to have, though!

In what way Hetty? Or are you just being personal?

GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:25:22

GGMK3, I think you are a little muddled.

I am not in the least muddled. Were people outside applauding "the shop workers and truck drivers and village shops". No, and why not. Because they are basically not laying their lives on the line. I have a feeling the "muddle" is your's GrannyLaine and it's incredibly disrespectful to those who are currently on the front line of the fight against the virus where you, currently, are not, from what you say.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:27:30

Good Lord, you are a bitter lot (with the odd exception). I am certainly glad I am not holed up with some of you 24 hours a day.