Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

CV - Holiday insurance and bookings

(31 Posts)
suziewoozie Sat 28-Mar-20 07:30:49

no2 we have rebooked a holiday originally booked for July. Without insurance, that’s the best you can hope for unless the agency were being super generous. We have rebooked for next July. It’s tough and disappointing

no2dragon Sat 28-Mar-20 04:14:20

I have booked a family holiday in North Wales staying in a house managed by an agency. We are due to go in 10 days time. I have paid in full for our stay with a credit card. Obviously we can't go but the agency will only offer a rebooking. This is not possible but we cannot get a refund. I have paid out a large sum of money. Can anyone offer any advice please.

EllanVannin Fri 27-Mar-20 15:35:18

There shouldn't be any flights going anywhere at this stage it's ridiculous. This is how the damn virus has manifested.

Anniechip Fri 27-Mar-20 15:06:00

We had a month long trip to NZ planned, due to leave last Monday to fly to Auckland. A week
Last Saturday NZ government said people could still fly there but would have to self isolate for 14 days. We cancelled all our accommodation, the meet and greet airport shuttle, train tickets around South Island, an internal flight from Dunedin back to Wellington. Then the FCO advised all British Nationals against all but essential travel. Everything we paid for has been refunded except the flight with Thai Airways. They cancelled the flights to and from Bangkok to Auckland but we could still fly to and from London- Bangkok!!! Doesn’t make sense!! We are in the process of claiming off our insurance. We starting planning the trip last June? .... but it’s just a holiday and we can do it again next year. Sometimes you have to think of the much bigger picture and be realistic!
Keep safe everyone x

Barmeyoldbat Fri 27-Mar-20 13:59:10

We had 2 holidays booked, one in Malta with money grabbing scum called Ryanair who we booked (first time) for a flight to Malta. Despite Malta being in lockdown on the arrival date they still went but cancelled the flight back. Now they will only refund half the money. B.....d springs to mind. The rest was easy. Cancelled accommodation that was done through booking.com. No money lost. The other holiday was to Holland and we have accepted a voucher from KLM and rebooked the accommodation for late September. Insurance policy, one has been refunded and the other has just moved the date to cover our September break.

Daisymae Fri 27-Mar-20 13:01:56

I have posted before about our holiday let in the UK. so in case anyone else has a booking coming up - we have heard from the agents that all holidays lets are suspended for the time being. We have paid in full for an Easter break, which is obviously not available. Have looked at the insurance company promoted by the letting agent (which we didnt take out) and they have a banner on their website saying Corona cancellations are not covered, only if you are too ill to go and can supply a doctors letter. So at the moment we are considerably out of pocket and the insurance that the company recommended would not have paid out anyway. So I guess that's a few pounds we have saved. I am about to go into battle for a refund. The owner has saved on expenses, cleaning, utilities, wear and tear plus they may be able to get a grant from the government. There is no holiday for us to have so I feel that there should be a refund. Even Easyjet has refunded a relatives cancelled flight!