Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

dog walking once a day

(54 Posts)
Hazel731 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:31:49

One good thing is that we can still leave our houses to walk our dogs, but is one walk a day enough? Why not 2 walks, morning and afternoon or night? Not everyone has a garden to let dogs into, some dogs won't do their mess without being on lead or outside their own area. I know this isn't policed but would neighbours be understanding if we took our dogs out twice a day or would they turn on us? Chat back please I would like to know what you think?

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:15:50

It’s just a mathematical equation really Smileless.

1000 people taking 1x 1hr walk over period of 12 hrs = 84 people in a given space

1000 people taking 2x 1 hr walks = 167 people in the same space.
Plus bike riders

Now I know the bike riders might be in a wider space but they will have to use some of the same access space. That could be 250 people now using that space. Even bike tracks can get overcrowded and if there’s lots of people they will pass at close quarters.

I did try a 6.30 am walk when the restrictions first came in but there were so many exercisers I decided it wasn’t safe.

Smileless2012 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:14:43

That's interesting Elaine in Gloucester I think people have been told not to go out on bikes. Looks at the moment as if it depends where you live which is why IMO the rules should be standardised and apply to whole of the UK.

ElaineI Sat 28-Mar-20 13:09:06

I think bikes were ok at first but today in Edinburgh we have been told not to use bikes in case of accidents and needing emergency services.

SilverDarlings12 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:07:15

Here we go again ----Dogs Before People!!!!!

Washerwoman Sat 28-Mar-20 13:01:15

If we don't all follow the restrictions it will be no walks or only 50 metres from our houses.Is that what we want ?It will be far worse if we lose our daily walk.
It's not an ideal situation for anyone.I'm sure families with youngsters full of energy would love to go out more than once.A small number probably still are ,but the vast majority like our DD are doing one walk with her dog and children. And that's that. We have 2 high energy spaniels but they are coping.After breakfast I set off and give them a really long walk. From home.None of the lovely walks I usually drive to.My SIL is miffed - and still driving to some other woods - and doesn't see why we shouldn't be able to.But last weekend just proved how overwhelmed the beauty spots and national parks became with everyone using them for their daily outing.Our dogs will adapt and at least they have us all at home for company!
And we have 3 key workers in out family so I feel very strongly about ending this situation asap.

rosenoir Sat 28-Mar-20 12:58:01

Firstly I am not saying this about the original poster.

This attitude of what I can get away with is really making me angry.
The people that are going out every day for a paper because it is "essential" and sitting in the park with friends as they need a rest on their walk and out for a drive as they cannot walk far and need a change of scene, helping family with children as they are finding it hard and the most ridiculous saying I have had a good life I will take the risk.

Selfish doesnt cover it.

Smileless2012 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:57:08

There needs to be a limit as to how far you can drive to go elsewhere to exercise.

Bicycle shops have been allowed to remain open as a bike ride in isolation or only with the people you live with, is considered to be a good and acceptable form of exercise.

heath480 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:32:20

It was confirmed by the Cabinet Office yesterday afternoon that you can drive somewhere to exercise or walk your dog.

The problem is people are driving miles to do it,they need to make the rules stricter,I think they will next week.

I get an email from Gov.UK every time anything changes.

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:32:50

if it is essential..........

midgey Sat 28-Mar-20 11:30:33

The rule says you may go out once a day.....

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:23:12

I think when you have front line family, after a 48 hr shift sobbing “Why won’t they just stay at home and stay safe?” it does make you think?

janipat Sat 28-Mar-20 11:09:48

Eglantine I definitely think having frontline NHS in the family does colour our view. We too aren't availing ourselves of our exercise "rights" since we can exercise in our small 30 foot long garden if we need to.

JulieMM Sat 28-Mar-20 10:58:37

We take our dog separately for a long walk each. It’s certainly the highlight of my day watching him (the dog not my husband!) racing across the beach and clambering over rocks with hardly a soul in sight.

MawB Sat 28-Mar-20 10:57:07

Hetty , my Hattie says Noooooooo!
Not cut back on food please! ?

And Alexa remember the adage about teaching an old dog new tricks?

Izabella Sat 28-Mar-20 10:56:35

And STILL they clutter up the Peak Park. Ambulance called to a lone female yesterday in the wilds. Walking her dog. She slipped and fractured her ankle. Yes I realise she could have done the same thing close to home, but it entailed a long haul for the crew over the moors when they could have been doing better things.

Hetty58 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:53:00

My dog was used to two long walks a day so she pesters me around 6 pm to go out again. She'll have to make do with the garden for now. I'm thinking I'll have to cut back on her food a little.

Alexa Sat 28-Mar-20 10:51:54

www.wikihow.com/Litter-Train-a-Dog

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:51:05

We've been asked to exercise once a day.

That goes for every woman, man, child, dog, horse ...

Agree Hazel731 Told my DD not to get her bike out. She had been thinking about it.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:50:02

One walk a day per person, that includes walking the dog. So a couple are in the lucky position to be able to walk the dog twice a day.

If you live in the middle of nowhere and don’t see a soul at the best of times I can’t see any any problem with going out as usual tbh. The spirit of the law rather than the letter!

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:45:51

I guess I just don’t understand the “what can I get away with” mindset.

I’m not going out for exercise, even though Im allowed because I want to do what I can to limit the spread of the virus.

Maybe having family in the NHS makes me see things differently?

Hazel731 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:43:09

I have thought about getting my bike out but then thought if I fall off and need help I would be taking valuable resources away from the NHS, so no biking.
TAKE NOTE ITS BETTER TO WALK.

Hazel731 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:39:44

I do understand what you are saying and its not about wanting to be an exception just wanted to put the question out there for conversation as a dog owner to others. Everyone saying how hard it is with children, it definitely is, but dogs don't understand whats going on either!

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:38:49

I think you have to ask if the bike ride is essential.

Honestly I don’t think it’s unckear. Only do what you absolutely have to do.

Smileless2012 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:36:55

Mr. S. and I are going out separately Hazel, one of us in the morning and the other in the afternoon so the dogs get 2 walks, one less than normal.

We're not sure if walking the dogs counts as our 30 minutes of outdoor exercise or if we can also go for a 30 minute bike ride. More clarity is needed I think.

Eglantine21 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:36:06

lockdown I really must read first......