Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Easter Bunny is not under lockdown ...

(28 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Mon 06-Apr-20 17:14:32

... and neither is the tooth fairy. However, the EB has been very busy with helping his own family so may not be able to get to all families on the exact day.

Now, did I really hear this announcement on the radio or have I dreamt it?

CherryCezzy Mon 06-Apr-20 17:18:32

I heard it on the radio too so if you dreamt it there was at least one other person there. That would be spooky ?

notanan2 Mon 06-Apr-20 17:29:02

Wasnt it an announcement made by the NZ PM to NZ children?

MawB Mon 06-Apr-20 17:30:47

Jacinda Arden - don’t you just love her?♥️♥️

MawB Mon 06-Apr-20 17:34:49

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwiewOHknNToAhVLRxUIHfB_AEoQqQIIPSgAMAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nzherald.co.nz%2Fnz%2Fnews%2Farticle.cfm%3Fc_id%3D1%26objectid%3D12322902&usg=AOvVaw2Or8u1y-45b7c3AwWk3YKG

Does this work?

GracesGranMK3 Mon 06-Apr-20 19:24:51

Wasnt it an announcement made by the NZ PM to NZ children?

Could well be notanan2. The problem was a wasn't being really attentive until I heard the Easter Bunny mentioned. Hence not being too sure if I had heard it or not.

MawB Mon 06-Apr-20 19:29:15

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-easter-bunny-and-tooth-fairy-essential-workers-says-new-zealand-pm-11969298

This should link to the story

GracesGranMK3 Mon 06-Apr-20 19:39:34

I have to agree with you MawB. NZ has really picked a good one for their PM.

Callistemon Mon 06-Apr-20 19:51:15

grin

Love it!

I hope that FC is busy working from home.

rubysong Mon 06-Apr-20 20:28:01

As I can't give my DGC Easter eggs this year I have made little bunnies from felted cashmere jumpers which I will post to them.

Nannan2 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:19:56

Its probably true ive just waited over an hour to enter cadburys website to get eggs delivered to GC and not on yet- so who knows how long theyl take to get there if i can find any left! hmm

Nannan2 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:21:18

7 minutes to go.....grin

Libman Tue 07-Apr-20 11:44:07

Good luck nanan2. I was in a queue for 8 hours yesterday. Quite good though as the page kept refreshing so I didn’t have to sit watching the iPad. Eggs on their way to my DG.

00mam00 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:47:23

I have transferred money for my 2 DGs (age 12 and 13) to buy books on line. I think they get enough sweet treats at the moment. It’s sad not to share an Easter lunch together, but will do our silliness ?????? on facetime

MagicWand Tue 07-Apr-20 12:12:06

Afraid I took the easy option here and asked my DS & DSiL to pop some into their shop and I’d pay later.

Love Jacinda Ardern

Craftycat Tue 07-Apr-20 12:21:53

I spent this morning painting Easter Bunnies to put on cards for my DGC. I might not be able to see them but I can send cards to show I am thinking of them & to assure them their eggs will be OK here until we can see them again.

Chardy Tue 07-Apr-20 13:50:49

Jacinda Ardern is what a 21st century leader should be.
She did so well after the Christchurch massacre, immediately getting a gun bill through parliament. And with assorted other issues (see below)
www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/28/jacinda-ardern-the-high-lows-of-her-term-in-office-so-far
And NZ with 1 death seems to be the safest country in the world at the moment. They've always been stringent when you enter NZ, not bringing in food, seeds, plants etc - I assume they just upped that and hopefully have kept NZ 'clean'.

maddyone Tue 07-Apr-20 13:51:44

I feel it’s so important that children receive their Easter eggs as usual. Their whole lives have been turned upside down, they can’t visit their grandparents or other family members, they can’t go to the play park, they can’t go to school or see their friends, if they’re the children of key workers they may go to school but they’ll be with different children doing different things, they can’t go to their usual activities such as cubs, music lessons, ballet lessons etc. They know there’s a’virus’ and that’s why normal life has stopped but depending on their age, their understanding is limited. So if at all possible, let them have some normality in their lives. Let them find the Easter bunny has arrived, despite the virus, even if he’s late, give them the normality of the Easter bunny.

Petalpop Tue 07-Apr-20 13:55:18

I popped into town and got my DC their eggs and bunny ears the day before we all got confined to barracks. They live round the corner so have organised to leave them on their doorstep over weekend and blow kisses through their closed window. I cried this morning when the post arrived. One letter from Boris - bad timing poor Boris and then homemade Easter cards and drawings of me and grandad from DC.

maddyone Tue 07-Apr-20 13:59:36

I sent money for my grandson who doesn’t live very near to us and his parents bought the egg. My daughter will collect the eggs from us to her children, I asked my son to pick them up when he went shopping. We wiped them down with an alcohol wipe when they arrived.

jerseygirl Tue 07-Apr-20 16:12:55

The Australian P.M. in western Australia made an announcement to W.A. children. My daughter who lives there sent me the video

quizqueen Tue 07-Apr-20 16:22:04

There seems to be quite a bit of support on here for the New Zealand PM, who seems to be 'protecting her country' i.e. screening who enters. I wonder if those same posters vote for political parties who favour the same stringent measures in our country or do they usually vote for parties who favour free unrestricted immigration.

Caro57 Tue 07-Apr-20 17:02:47

Yes heard it on radio - what a fab idea - good for NZ

cupcake1 Tue 07-Apr-20 17:46:06

Don’t you just love her! Brought a smile to my face when I read that.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Apr-20 17:55:38

Chardy, NZ did the sensible thing and closed their border to almost all travellers on on Thursday 19 March:

www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/coronavirus-update-inz-response