Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Is anyone else cleaning their shopping?

(68 Posts)
Willow500 Wed 08-Apr-20 21:19:44

We've just been to Tescos - no online shopping available and needed quite a lot of items so travelled to the bigger store in next town. Husband stayed in car and I went in alone and wouldn't let him touch anything when I came out. I've cleaned all the items that needed to be put away immediately (or that we needed now) with wipes and the rest is in the garage where I'll leave it a couple of days. I don't know if this is completely OTT or necessary. I did see a doctor being asked the question the other night and he suggested cleaning packets etc. Is anyone else doing this?

Have to say it was all very organised and as it was after 7pm fairly quiet. Feel for the staff - my DIL & GD both work in the same stores in their home town further south and receive some terrible abuse from customers angry

Gemini17892 Wed 08-Apr-20 21:24:03

Yes I am. I’m wiping over the plastic with disinfectant as the virus is supposed to live for 72 hours on plastic and less on card.
Then I leave it out for 24h unless it’s milk or frozen stuff.

GagaJo Wed 08-Apr-20 21:24:07

I'm doing it. We're shopping online and I wash down the frozen/chill with soapy water OR remove the cardboard outer packaging before putting it away. I have a shelf set aside in the fridge for the food that's just been delivered. We leave it for 3 days before using.

Like you, the rest of the groceries, the dry / canned goods I leave for 3 days in an unused porch.

Allegretto Wed 08-Apr-20 21:25:45

I also clean all my shopping with wipes/disinfectant spray and leave what I can in the garage for a few days. I’m a bit paranoid about it all and I tend to clean items again before I use them. I keep thinking about how easy life will be when groceries are put straight in the cupboard again.

Bathsheba Wed 08-Apr-20 21:26:55

No it's not being OTT, and yes we do this routinely now. I even wash fruit and veg in warm soapy water, then rinse and dry. Stuff we don't need immediately - tins and plastic packets etc, get put in the spare bedroom, and if we need any of these items inside a week, we disinfect them before bringing them downstairs.

Curlywhirly Wed 08-Apr-20 21:27:24

Willow500 can't believe that your DIL and GD are receiving abuse, unbelievable, what's wrong with people?

I wasn't cleaning my shopping, until I read it on here last week. At first I thought it a tad over the top, but then after shopping yesterday, I had a wobble, and decided to clean it all.

Willow500 Wed 08-Apr-20 21:27:40

Oh I'm pleased it's not just me being paranoid grin

M0nica Wed 08-Apr-20 21:27:55

No, I shop in latex gloves and wear a mask and long coat. I wash my hands after putting it away , none of it is likely to be used for 24 hours anyway.

Willow500 Wed 08-Apr-20 21:31:23

I bought some grapes from the local greengrocer the other day and was shocked to read the label when I got home - they'd come from Mumbai! I soaked them in salt water for 10 minutes - I thought about Milton but decided that might be pushing it a bit smile

EllanVannin Wed 08-Apr-20 21:34:56

Dettol wipes, so easy and makes you feel better for doing it.
I always peel /wash veg anyway as I've never left the skins on anything. Won't buy pre-packed salads, never have takeaways.
I was always fussy preparing etc. before all this because of my horror of being poisoned with pesticides or/and dirty people.
I've got worse since I've got older and won't eat out.

Anniebach Wed 08-Apr-20 21:36:07

The most difficult things for me are Rice Cakes in paper wrapping ,and dog biscuits in cardboard boxes, if I leave these two weeks should they be ok ? I can’t wash them

I never thought I would be glad that I am on liquid replacement meals, I wash the plastic bottles in fairy washing
up liquid. Can’t use bleach because I can’t wear gloves .

FlexibleFriend Wed 08-Apr-20 21:36:38

Yep spraying all packaging in disinfectant and washing all fruit and veg.

Jane10 Wed 08-Apr-20 21:39:30

I wear disposable gloves for shopping and wipe down all the items with antibacterial wipes. I'm sure I don't get into every little crevice though.
All fruit is washed and/or peeled before eating.

Willow500 Wed 08-Apr-20 21:40:26

Annie the virus doesn't live on paper or cardboard more than 24 hours so you should be fine to leave them a couple of days without opening them.

Chewbacca Wed 08-Apr-20 21:42:46

I've used an empty spray bottle, topped it up with bleach and water and use that to clean tins packets and bottles before putting them away in the cupboards and fridge. Any fresh fruit and veg is washed thoroughly. Maybe it's OTT but I do this with rubber gloves on too.

Willow500 Wed 08-Apr-20 21:43:41

Sunlight also apparently kills it - if you're able to leave things outside during the day it helps. Depends where you live obviously - I'm not sure my neighbours would appreciate seeing all my shopping laid out on the front lawn all day grin

Grandmafrench Wed 08-Apr-20 21:44:18

I 'clean' my shopping and it's really tedious and I hate it. However, it's making me feel better about bringing it into storage in the house. I take a bucket of hot soapy (washing up liquid) water with some bleach in it and special cloth, outside into the garden. Everything is taken out of the plastic carrier bags, which I wipe over. Each tin, packet etc., is wiped down and left to dry off before being put away. All vegetables are taken indoors and rinsed in warm water in a clean sink with some w/up liquid in it. Then I dry all the vegetables with a clean tea towel. Madness? Maybe. But I know that it's soap that gets rid of the Virus, so my usual wipes and antiseptic spray won't kill it....they are excellent but only for bacteria. Amidst all the complaining that I do (and it's tiring and slightly ridiculous) I do feel that I have done my best to keep my home reasonably safe - anyone could have picked items before me, maybe not wearing gloves - and it's now my answer to feeling a bit more reassured and in control. My OH, who does the shopping, does not touch anything once he has put the shopping down until I have finished with it, then I wipe down the table surface outside and clean the door handle to the house! After that we both need a lie down in a darkened room - or at least a cup of coffee !! grin

786wales Wed 08-Apr-20 21:45:34

I use Milton to slack my fruit and veg ?

Anniebach Wed 08-Apr-20 21:49:16

Thank you Willow, I have kept them for two weeks.

SueDonim Wed 08-Apr-20 21:56:11

Curlywhirly I’ve started cleaning my shopping since I read about it on another GN thread. I fill a sink with water and a Milton tablet and immerse some items then leave them to dry. Apparently doing that is better than drying them as it gives the active agent time to kill the bugs. Other things I wipe as necessary eg loaves of bread. Fruit & veg get dunked, too.

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Apr-20 22:11:20

Yes, I wash every thing in hot soapy water. Including cherry tomatoes and cauliflowers etc. Everything gets dunked throughly in the sink and rinsed in hot water. Cereal packets and cardboard containers are put away in the pantry floor for three days minimum. I’m not usually fussy, but DH is on the highly vulnerable list.

newnanny Thu 09-Apr-20 00:56:23

I fear I am becoming obsessive. We got our much awaited delivery from Morrison's this morning. Got my son to stick note on to front door asking delivery driver to open garage door and please put groceries inside then knock and leave and we would accept any substitutions. After 10 mins my son went and brought frozen food in house. I asked him to open box then put item into a freezer bag and throw box away into outside recycle bun. Fridge food had to have a wipe down with Dettox wipes before going into fridge. Left all tins and veg in garage and locked door. I will leave for 3 days. Fruit got washed in washing up liquid in water, then rinsed in cold water and dried. I did the fruit and felt a bit silly but better silly than sick. I am even keeping the front door locked. Junk mail foes straight into outdoor recycle bin and post gets open after 2-3 days. I even set my phone alarm for 2 hourly then I wash my hands again.

Fiachna50 Thu 09-Apr-20 02:20:42

Yes.

GrandmaKT Thu 09-Apr-20 02:53:46

Yes, I wear latex gloves when doing the shopping and wash everything in soapy water, which is supposed to be the best way to break down the virus. Obviously rinse well after.

Calendargirl Thu 09-Apr-20 07:05:54

No.
I do a weekly Tesco shop, where it’s all very well organised now. Wear latex gloves.
Wash my hands thoroughly as soon as I get home, then pack my shopping away as normal. Wash my hands thoroughly again.
Wash grapes in cold water before eating any, peel all other fruit.
Wash my hands before any food preparation or cooking, and before and after opening packets and tins.
I don’t change my clothes or shower when I get home.
I open post when it arrives, but wash my hands well after reading contents.

Surely if we are supposed to be disinfecting everything, it would be in the government guidelines?