Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covexit - how would YOU manage it?

(175 Posts)
growstuff Sat 18-Apr-20 16:09:58

I think the people who are ignoring social isolation should be the first people allowed out and be conscripted to work in care homes or holding hands with people in ICU.

growstuff Sat 18-Apr-20 16:07:16

The currently shielded must be the last people to have restrictions lifted - unless they have a lemming complex!

yorkie20 Sat 18-Apr-20 16:00:59

Nothing will be back to how it was, there will only be a NEW normal whatever it may be.
Its better to not think about things and how it will be otherwise there will be a lot of worry for millions.
Sorry to be so negative all we can do is HOPE that it wont be too bad.
Everyones personal future will be different depending on age, circumstances etc.
Is the glass half full or half empty? depends who you ask.

EllanVannin Sat 18-Apr-20 15:48:34

Sung by the lovely Bette Midler, Sharon103.

Oopsminty Sat 18-Apr-20 15:42:57

I think our best bet will be a safe vaccine

sharon103 Sat 18-Apr-20 15:39:45

Same with me EllanVannin Sat 18-Apr-20 13:27:30

EllanVannin Sat 18-Apr-20 15:36:44

The words of the song--- "From a Distance" springs to mind.

3nanny6 Sat 18-Apr-20 15:31:20

notanan2 : yes I know Covid19 is not going to go away as soon as lockdown ends but one day it will be a manageable virus that they have anti-bodies for. (I heard that on TV this morning) from one of the top medical researchers. We cannot all go on living in prison like existence forever it is not a way of life that can be sustained. Eventually we will be able to start getting back to normal.

The original poster wrote "All sensible and/or highly unlikely Covexit strategies welcome. Mine might sound unlikely and possibly need a bit of social distancing added in
but after such along time stuck inside what is wrong with fresh sea air and happiness. As for the local street parties why not? it will be just like after the war and like what we had for the Queens Jubilee we all need to celebrate coming through this and being alive. I know I will be opening three bottles of champagne I have been saving for some good reason to come along and Covexit will be it.

notanan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 15:05:03

'Social distancing' an ineffective waste of time..... let's all get back to normal NOW

People will not welcome you getting close to them after lockdown.

Just because you want your local businesses to go "back to normal" does not mean that staff will be willing to serve you if you get to close or that other customers will respond well to you getting up close!

Teetime Sat 18-Apr-20 14:40:03

I'd open the golf courses now. Not entirely joking about this. workable rules can be put into place to keep people well apart, keep the clubhouse and driving range closed. Only people who live together can play in pairs etc etc. I would also open the garden centres now but again with social distancing in force. Hairdressers soon please.
I am looking forward to my chiropody visit this week but have been telephoned by the chiropodist with strict orders to follow which I will.

Eglantine21 Sat 18-Apr-20 14:30:23

???

??‍♀️

Gran52 Sat 18-Apr-20 14:23:13

'Social distancing' an ineffective waste of time..... let's all get back to normal NOW

notanan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 14:04:39

Staff will refuse to work in crowded conditions.

People wont ENJOY the same things they did before.

My favourite cafe is very "cosy". It wont be the same place witg the same atmosphere. If it opens at all it'll have less tables and people wont linger

notanan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 14:02:40

I dont think the gov needs to heavily regulate end of lockdown. Most people will continue to be cautious. I cant imagine people enjoying crowded places much for a long while.

Roads will be busy and that will cause problems as cyclists are now used to quieter roads. But people will mostly go to friends and family I would imagine.

Sitting in a nail bar or hairdressers only 1m away from others wont feel like the treat it was (for ppl who like that sort of thing) and hairdressers returning to work wont want to go back to all of the high contact "frills" like hand massages. It'll be in-cut-out.. with no other customers nearby to make small talk to

notanan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 13:55:08

3nanny6 you realise that CV19 doesnt go away just because lockdown does?

You can lay on all the coaches you like, many parents will be reluctant to send their kids back to school at all. The higher risk kids wont be going back. Few if any will consent to them going on a crowded trip to a crowded place!

And care homes will maybe let family visit with PPE they wont be bundling their residents off to tourist hotspots no way

rosenoir Sat 18-Apr-20 13:47:23

Great idea Eglantine21.

M0nica Sat 18-Apr-20 13:44:59

Well, they have started with the 'clarified' regulations that say we can drive a distance for exercise, as long as the exercise is as long as the drive. The next step, keeping all the distance and control regulations of supermarkets, will be opening tips, then the NT, EH can quietly open up their parks and gardens, slowly and without announcement to stop mad rushes. then more shops........outdoor sports and leisure facilities, outdoor events, and bit by bit, with gradual changes in distancing rules, everything step withdrawable, if it goes wrong.

3nanny6 Sat 18-Apr-20 13:41:56

I would get out and just be happy to see all those that have been locked away during the pandemic. I would set up loads of coaches and get loads of children down to the seaside for laid on fish and chips and squiggly ice-cream and see lots of smiling children.

I would get some coaches for the old ones in the care homes and get them to the seaside as well (different day from the children).

I would try and get my neighbours interested in a big street party and have loads of sandwhiches and cake.

HurdyGurdy Sat 18-Apr-20 13:41:21

Eglantine21 - "I would spray all the people who are ignoring the social isolation now with indelible ink.
Then when things ease they will be the very last people to be allowed out."

I would definitely go along with this idea!!! Love it grin

Missfoodlove Sat 18-Apr-20 13:37:36

It would be sensible to slowly introduce the exit.
I think bars and restaurants should be the last to open.
Foreign travel should also take a back seat.
Garden centres and DIY stores should be able to open ASAP.
Also the builders merchants so tradesmen and women can get to work again.
Hairdressers next but not the beauty salons, it’s not really necessary to have acrylic nails!!
It’s really easy to sit here and compile a list from the safety of my kitchen!
I do however think it will be very worrying for the staff that will be returning to work.
If there isn’t a second wave we have a reasonable chance of a successful exit if well managed.

Eglantine21 Sat 18-Apr-20 13:34:11

I would spray all the people who are ignoring the social isolation now with indelible ink.

Then when things ease they will be the very last people to be allowed out.

If they ignore that and venture out they will be resprayed and the sprayed will not be served in shops or included in any social event! ??

EllanVannin Sat 18-Apr-20 13:27:30

I'll continue living like a hermit.grin To be on the safe side.

One thing I won't be doing is joining the mad rush at Christmas. I'll make sure that I reserve a delivery slot beforehand. It's known as forward thinking ;)

notanan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 13:24:13

And the demand for distancing will mean prices will be up to so people will be doing things less anyway.

E.g. exercise classes will have to cut their numbers to space so each person will be charged more.

They also wont be able to do back to back classes as patrons will demand full equipment clean down in between.

I do not think things are going back as before

notanan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 13:18:29

I really do not think people will be eager to go out en masse.

People are talking about all the fun stuff they can do after lockdown more as a morale boost than anything else. It doesnt mean they'll act on it. Most people will want social distancing to continue and people will have developed fears of crowds

BradfordLass73 Sat 18-Apr-20 13:12:21

If I were in charge, I'd regulate Covexit street by street to prevent the previous hysterical rush by binge buying locusts to the supermarkets and hairdressers.

Some have suggested all the previously shielded vulnerable should be allowed out first but I think too many would be overcome with that first taste of freedom we'd never make it to the starting line.

What would YOU do?

All sensible and/or highly unlikely Covexit strategies welcome.