Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Still Clapping?

(95 Posts)
quizqueen Thu 21-May-20 15:02:10

I think once at the beginning was enough and then maybe once again to mark the end of lockdown. I do go out to clap but mainly just to chat with a neighbour.

Alexa Thu 21-May-20 14:52:34

No, because front line workers need more than special approval they need better conditions and more money.

It is not a sweet thing to die for other people.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-May-20 14:44:55

Neighbours are NHS key workers so I feel obliged to clap as they and their family do.

It's also a time to catch up with other neighbours.

maddyone Thu 21-May-20 14:10:10

I wish I knew that Lucca but unfortunately I can’t answer your question. My daughter, a doctor, married to another doctor, has asked me to write to our MP about this. They have made enough changes to how they organise their lives, twelve hour shifts, working in care homes, working in the city Covid19 hub, not having sufficient PPE, complete upheaval of their children’s lives, three children six and under, and so on. We can no longer do childcare for them, so we do their washing and ironing, it’s just a little help in their ridiculously busy lives. They’ve put up with enough and so have other NHS workers and now the threat of a pay freeze. I’m very cross (that’s putting it politely.)

Lucca Thu 21-May-20 13:58:20

A pay freeze ?? In the words of john McEnroe “you cannot be serious “
How in the name of goodness can that be justified ?

maddyone Thu 21-May-20 13:56:32

trisher smile

trisher Thu 21-May-20 13:51:52

maddyone great post thanks!

BlueBelle Thu 21-May-20 13:49:46

I have been doing Every week not only for the key workers but as a bit of community spirit but I must admit it lost its appeals and it seems to be tailing off around here still plenty come out but people used to stay out for five minutes or more last week it was two minutes Not sure whether I will tonight or not

maddyone Thu 21-May-20 13:45:56

I would suggest that if you who wish to show appreciation for the NHS that you email your MP about the proposed pay freeze for public sector workers, and say that you want NHS staff to have a pay rise, not a pay freeze. Unfortunately many private sector workers will lose their jobs and other public sector workers may have their pay frozen, but the NHS staff from consultants to cleaners have carried us through this crisis and will do so again if there is another spike. Many have died as a direct result of doing their job. Clapping is losing it’s impact and many NHS workers dislike it anyway. They feel it’s hypocritical.
Take action by emailing your MP, NHS staff do not deserve a pay freeze, they deserve a pay rise.

trisher Thu 21-May-20 13:34:29

I did do it but having reached the stage where I forgot it was Thursday I was happily relaxing in a bubble bath last week so I didn't. Some do, down my street, some don't.

Kandinsky Thu 21-May-20 13:26:46

I’ve never done it.
I’ll go out & clap on the last night which will probably be soon? it can’t go on indefinitely.

Smileless2012 Thu 21-May-20 13:24:26

We still go out and clap

Knittynatter Thu 21-May-20 13:21:12

My neighbours who have never paid heed to social distancing go out to the front and applaud. I applaud and pay respects by myself in my back garden.

Iam64 Thu 21-May-20 13:16:01

so are we

Iam64 Thu 21-May-20 13:15:51

All our neighbours are out clapping, blowing whistles an banging pans

MissAdventure Thu 21-May-20 13:13:48

No.
My neighbours do.
I come in and shut the door.

Jane10 Thu 21-May-20 13:11:39

It's lost its value now. The first time felt OK but by doing it every week its completely devalued it.
A final time might be worth doing.

FlexibleFriend Thu 21-May-20 12:57:37

I never have.

MadCatWoman1 Thu 21-May-20 12:56:14

We still go out and clap from our house, but only about another 6 households bother now.

Calendargirl Thu 21-May-20 12:53:08

Do you still go out on Thursday nights to clap for everyone? I was chatting to someone I know while we were queueing at Tesco (2 metres apart) this morning, and we agreed that there are far fewer people doing so in our little town.

Is it because the restrictions have eased, and we are able to venture out so much more, and not feel so isolated maybe? Or are we just bored with doing it now, and not see the relevance as the virus is hopefully diminishing?

DH and I go out at 8, but just wonder how many others do.