Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Easing the lockdown

(213 Posts)
Sparklefizz Fri 29-May-20 08:44:08

WWmark2 The West Country has already had a surge of infections dating from the VE Day Bank Holiday celebrations when people came from all over the place to go to the beach.

There will be another surge in about 10 days resulting from the recent Bank Holiday, and then a further surge from this easing of lockdown.

Iam64 Fri 29-May-20 08:36:52

Looking around our neighbourhood, especially amongst our adult children and their friends, things are moving fast. Trips to the beach with the children, BBQ planned for this weekend.
They are relaxing their own vigilance as schools are returning in a week or so but - none of them are expecting grandparents resume their usual childcare, or to be able to share meals, hug adult or grandchildren.
We will continue to be very careful. The change is that we will meet a couple of friends in our gardens, maintain the distance but feel unreasonably thrilled to be doing something remotely approaching normal.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 29-May-20 08:34:36

Remember this date and wait 3-4 weeks watch as the virus starts to spread.

Cummings will risk anything to get his way,

Whitewavemark2 Fri 29-May-20 08:32:55

That was THE DEAD CAT. we were expecting?

Gingster Fri 29-May-20 08:32:04

New rules are from MONDAY we can meet family and friends. This weekend everyone will be gathering . Weather set to be glorious. People aren’t going to wait til MONDAY ?

Sparklefizz Fri 29-May-20 08:31:07

I can imagine 2 families - having a BBQ in the garden - starting off with social distancing - then having a few drinks, needing the loo (who is going to keep wiping down the bathroom in between loo visitors as recommended?) - forgetting the social distancing - having a good time, but safety rules going out of the window...... cue wider spread of virus in the community.

GrannyLaine Fri 29-May-20 08:23:30

No, I think that it's a very sensible move. With the glorious weather we're having it allows a little more freedom but still within sensible limits.

Sparklefizz Fri 29-May-20 08:18:33

Is anyone else nervous? There's clearly going to be a second wave and I don't want to be part of it, and I am vulnerable and am also struggling with asthma at the moment.

Much as I long to see my family and friends, I went into lockdown early because it felt right to do that, so this is my 13th week and it has been very hard ..... but I don't want to throw all that sacrifice to the winds and then catch it.

It's my opinion we are easing up too soon and I am scared.

Pantglas2 Fri 29-May-20 08:13:22

The Mediterranean countries have all lifted lockdown because they want tourists to come — money talks!

All that waffle a couple of months ago about how Brits wouldn’t be allowed in because of our reckless government went out the window when they realised they did need us after all!

BlueSky Fri 29-May-20 08:08:01

Just seems to be moving pretty fast now at least in England. I noticed the same in Europe, they seemed to go from strict lockdown to everything reopens. Hopefully they know what they are doing but it's still up to us to look after ourselves.

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 22:52:48

Well, that's straight to the point, ga smile

It's all a bit unreal, to me.

My company have followed the rules to the letter, and it was only 2 weeks ago that we got ppe, because up until then the advice for support workers was that gloves, aprons and hand washing was all that was needed.

I feel I'm about 6 weeks out of step with everything.

Buses have only, from Monday, put up signs recommending face masks, and now it's all change again.

grannyactivist Thu 28-May-20 22:44:59

Yes.

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 22:44:01

Has anyone an uneasy feeling that it's happening deflect the uncomfortable questions boris and co are facing?