Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Second waves - dealing with the virus part 2 ??

(231 Posts)
growstuff Tue 23-Jun-20 09:48:31

Jane10 From what I've heard, mass vaccination is still a long way off. It's highly unlikely to be available before the end of this year - if ever.

We need an effective find, test, track and isolate system, so that cases can be quarantined as quickly as possible to prevent further spread.

MawB Tue 23-Jun-20 09:46:55

However I wouldn’t be holding my breath for the vaccine
It appears that the Oxford coronavirus vaccine will be rolled out in October under 'best scenario' as a one-month delay has meant Britain will be edging closer to winter flu season, and the possibility of a second coronavirus peak, without a vaccine.
As to the rate reducing, Coventry, Bedford and Anglesey (as I mentioned) have all seen very recent spikes.
I am not a prophet of doom, but local rates must be taken into account. It is too easy for the 5 o clock briefing to quote its stats, but look at the regional curves - and don’t speak too soon.

MawB Tue 23-Jun-20 09:41:13

Thank you Jane10
I thought there was room for some facts in amongst the wildly varying shades of opinion here about shielding/ distancing/ bubbles/ and involvement in childcare hmm

Jane10 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:37:53

We had holiday weekends in May, large groups meeting in parks, demonstrations in lots of places etc etc but the infection rate is still going down.
Sounds like the vaccine might be ready soon then it'll be all systems go vaccinating the over 50s. I'm no Pollyanna but the doom and gloom merchants (not you MawB) seem to positively revel in unearthing bad news.
Chin(s) up ladies, the balance of probability is that things will be OK. Not necessarily brilliant but OK and that's good enough for me.

Luckygirl Tue 23-Jun-20 09:33:01

There is no doubt that there will be a second wave. Let us indeed all hope that the government will take purposeful action to contain the outbreaks that are around the corner. They got it all wrong first time round - we can only hope they are capable of learning by experience.

MawB Tue 23-Jun-20 08:59:01

It’s not gone, it’s not even going to be gone - but it’s how we deal with it that will make the difference.
Beijing faced lockdown after reporting an outbreak last week after being declared virus-free for a whole day.
An Anglesey chicken plant has had 175 new cases recently.
Germany has had a serious outbreak in and around Gütersloh starting in an abattoir and meat processing plant, it is suspected involving unsanitary living conditions for migrant workers.
Berlin has had a surge in the poor and densely populated Neu-Kölln area of the city
And now South Korea , previously held up as a shining example is facing a worrying surge as health authorities in South Korea admitted yesterday it was experiencing a “second wave” in Seoul.
Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is reported as saying it had become clear that a holiday weekend in early May marked the start of a new wave of infections in the densely populated greater Seoul area, which had previously seen few cases.
There are some common factors such as working temperatures in the meat processing plants but also the lamentable living conditions where migrant workers have been involved and of course predictable consequences in lapses in social distancing, but in all cases prompt identification, testing, tracking and isolating have been paramount in stopping these second waves from becoming countrywide.
I just hope that this time the government and our public health authorities can learn from the experience of others.