Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Looking after Grandkids dilemna

(29 Posts)
NotTooOld Wed 08-Jul-20 14:39:11

Don't be bullied, Gran32. Tell her you have had to start another steroid course so cannot have the children. Suggest she shares child care with a friend in a similar situation. Does she have a partner who could help?

Iam64 Wed 08-Jul-20 13:34:34

If you have RA I expect you are taking medication that reduces your immune system. If you are also over 60 the virus still poses serious threat to you. If you're over 70, even more so.
I was shielding and now classed as clinically highly vulnerable. I used to look after my grandchildren but both my daughters realise that isn't possible while this virus remains and before immunisation possible.
It s very tough I understand how upset and worried you feel. The cost of child care in this country is shameful, I understand the nurseries have to charge but I do believe the government should subsidise. As things are currently, many young parents may end up having to leave work as the invisible army of free child care is no longer available.

B9exchange Wed 08-Jul-20 12:40:28

Only you can do your own risk assessment, but unless you live in a high risk area, (you can google to find out) your chances of getting it now are very slim.

I am more worried by you saying that she doesn't take your RA seriously, smacks of taking your help for granted. I think the question is 'do you actually want to/feel able to look after them?

What would she do if you had to start shielding again, she perhaps needs to explore other possibilities that she might have to use then?

Go with your gut feeling having weighed up the pros and cons?

Gran32 Wed 08-Jul-20 12:05:25

Hi all. I'm new here. I feel very confused. I've been shielding until recently as my steroid course ended so now my daughter is putting me under pressure to start having the kids again. She's never taken covid19 or me having rheumatoid disease seriously. Doesn't socially distance but expects help now. If I don't, she'll lose her job so I'm losing sleep. I know the rates are dropping but its still out there. 3 if my family members were very ill with Covid so I know how nasty it can be