Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Explain how lockdowns eradicate the virus?

(101 Posts)
polnan Thu 15-Oct-20 18:43:03

all this talk off , lockdown, this, lockdown,that,
if the Spring lockdown, resulted in the present increase in infections etc. please can someone explain to me how another lockdown, whether a long one, as some are proposing, or a short circuit breaker lockdown, compared to no lockdown, will kill off the virus, or reduce infections long term.

Starblaze Thu 15-Oct-20 18:47:38

Not about stopping it, just slowing it so hospitals don't get overwhelmed. Not just deaths due to Covid, excess deaths which cover a lot more age ranges and conditions.

Riverwalk Thu 15-Oct-20 18:48:50

Have you learnt nothing over the past 8 months?

Lockdowns don't attempt to eradicate the virus, only to try and control the numbers so that they can be managed.

EllanVannin Thu 15-Oct-20 18:52:35

There were no lockdowns in 1957 !

Jaxjacky Thu 15-Oct-20 18:54:09

polnan as others said, I don’t think anyone claimed eradication if only it did,I’d happily lockdown again for a goodly while.

Casdon Thu 15-Oct-20 18:54:36

Ultimately more people will survive the virus if they lockdown now because every week buys more time before a vaccination becomes available, more time for research based treatments to be available, more time for stocks of medicines and PPE to be replenished, and more capacity in the health system to manage the sickest patients without being overwhelmed by numbers which would result in poorer outcomes.

merlotgran Thu 15-Oct-20 18:55:30

We had a smaller population and people didn't travel as far.

Marydoll Thu 15-Oct-20 18:55:52

As Starblaze said, the purpose is not to eradicate it, but to slow things down, otherwise the NHS will be totally overwhelmed.
I'm not sure what you mean about the spring lockdown causing an increase in infections, would you be able to elaborate, please?

In my opinion, the main reason for the increase is the selfish people who ignore the guidelines and do what they like.
I have just watched an interview about a Scottish woman who went to Blackpool along with many others for a long weekend. She now has Covid along with 180 others. I didn't know it was bad there! she complained.
That's not counting the people she may have infected.
What on earth was she thinking of? ?
No wonder we can't control it.

phoenix Thu 15-Oct-20 18:56:01

What I find off are these random things, like some areas with supermarkets not selling alcohol after 8pm? What's that supposed to achieve?

I have friends who live in Mexico, and at one point all alcohol sales were banned, regardless of time of day!

Elegran Thu 15-Oct-20 19:13:05

It was the easing off too fast after the spring lockdown that resulted in an increase. That, and too many people thinking that it was all over so they could greet their friends with a big hug, cuddle their grandchildren, kiss their granny, and travel to the next town to meet up with a dozen friends in a crowded pub. A couple of weeks later - surprise surprise - travellers, friends, grandchildren, granny and all had caught the virus and spread it around.

Parsley3 Thu 15-Oct-20 19:13:25

I agree with Marydoll that it is selfish people who are responsible for the increase in cases. Unfortunately, it has to be said that if you get a COVID test isolate until you get the result!!!
Examples: Margaret Ferrier and the idiot who is the cause of my SIL having to isolate for two weeks with a loss of income and business because the idiot’s mother told him to keep quiet in case his test was negative. Unbelievable.

Elegran Thu 15-Oct-20 19:15:53

Phoenix Presumably after several drinks too many people were hugging everyone indiscriminately and weeping on each others' shoulders about not being able to have a pint with them because of catching the damned virus.

Pantglas2 Thu 15-Oct-20 19:22:32

I came back to Blighty after 10 weeks in Spain and spent 14 days in quarantine- no contact, at all, with anyone or anything.

I was then deemed COVID free and I’ve been out, bemasked, hygienically cleansed etc so if lockdown is to work, EVERYONE has to do 2 weeks with no outside contact for it to work.

craftyone Thu 15-Oct-20 19:27:47

people in general have no concept because this enemy is invisible. Unless they know someone who gets covid badly or mildly and then suffers long term damage like blood clotting, organ failure, extreme fatigue. It is a very nasty virus, teenagers are being sent to hospital with blood clots in their blood. People are better then worse then better again and after 3-4 weeks are much worse

How can people understand the effects? They cannot, unless they have experience of it. There are many doubters, who carry on life as normal, who are vocal and influential

The virus cannot be eradicated and there is no effective preventative vaccine in the pipeline, believe me that scientists are trying every which way to get such a vaccine but there is nothing. There are some medications to help with covid effects and more of these medictions will appear over time, provided the numbers of people affected are limited

wrt the covid test, not everyone giving the test is a fully trained medic professional. If the swab does not make you gag or make your eyes water, then it has not gone deep enough, to be effective it must stroke the tonsils. Anything less will not gather enough of the virus to result in a positive test

phoenix Thu 15-Oct-20 19:27:56

Agree, Elegran but people can buy beer, wine whatever prior to the cut off time, then go indoors and "party".

As mentioned, in Mexico, ALL alcohol sales were banned.

Mind you, some restrictions were OTT, like only 1 person from a household allowed out at a time.

So, my friends, who live together, were not allowed to walk their dogs on the beach together confused

growstuff Thu 15-Oct-20 20:12:27

EllanVannin

There were no lockdowns in 1957 !

Asian Flu in 1957 was an influenza virus and not so deadly. Nevertheless, 20,000 died in the UK, often at home because there was no treatment for sufferers anyway.

Callistemon Thu 15-Oct-20 21:03:20

What I find off are these random things, like some areas with supermarkets not selling alcohol after 8pm? What's that supposed to achieve?
phoenix if my grocery delivery slot is after 10pm then they will not deliver any wine or other alcohol!
As if I'm going to rush around the neighbours, swigging from a bottle of Shiraz and hugging them all.

Davidhs Thu 15-Oct-20 21:31:51

I don’t think there is going to be an effective vaccine, restricting spread is the best course so that the NHS can cope with numbers.
Test and Trace I’m not so sure about, it’s very costly and does not seem to do much to reduce spread. Enforcing Social distancing and treating those that get ill would probably be just as effective. It’s going to be a very long boring winter because it’s going to get much worse.

LauraNorder Thu 15-Oct-20 21:57:08

Health of the nation, health of the economy, a very fine balancing act. Those of us who can should stay at home, keep safe, keep the pressure off the NHS. If this means not hugging our children and grandchildren this year then so be it so that they can maintain their health and their jobs.
Stronger messages and enforceable penalties for the idiots out there who think they’re invincible.
Local lockdowns will help NHS and keep businesses elsewhere running.
National lockdown now will destroy our economy resulting in many more deaths not related to Covid.
Andy Burnham is playing a very dangerous game.

Ngaio1 Thu 15-Oct-20 22:02:11

Lockdown is not about eradicating the virus! It is about trying to have a measure of control over the number of cases. No wonder that cases are increasing if some people have difficulty in grasping basic facts.

NotTooOld Thu 15-Oct-20 22:26:22

Please don't be negative about the possibility of a vaccine for covid. There are many in the pipeline and some are in the final testing stages. We must have hope!

growstuff Thu 15-Oct-20 23:20:07

LauraNorder So you wouldn't mind if the economy of Greater Manchester is ruined and many more people in the North West die, just so the rest of the country is OK? As Andy Burnham said, they're being used as the canaries in the mine.

The economy of the North West is already very fragile with many people on low incomes. They can't afford to accept the government package of two thirds wages. What Burnham wants is for those people who can't work as a result of the restrictions to be paid the same as those who were on furlough.

He also wants more support for those who are supposed to self-isolate. At the moment, only about 20% comply, mainly because they can't afford to lose wages. The amount the government has promised is derisory and many aren't eligible for it anyway. That's why people are reluctant to pass on the names of contacts and one of the reasons the virus has got out of control again.

maddyone Thu 15-Oct-20 23:23:36

Aww Callistemon, don’t be a spoil sport grin

maddyone Thu 15-Oct-20 23:25:20

Well said NotTooOld.

Callistemon Thu 15-Oct-20 23:27:37

Well, I might hug one or two during normal times, and offer them a glass or two maddyone
But there's always an exception!

I'm just wondering - if my slot is between 6pm and 10pm and they're 10 minutes late, will they say, 'sorry, Mrs C, but you can't have your Shiraz and Sauv. Blanc today, it's too late for you to be drinking'?