Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

You couldn't make this up could you? Wonder how they voted... Elderly Britons are REFUSING Pfizer's vaccine because they'd rather 'wait for the English one' | Daily Mail Online

(290 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

biba70 Fri 08-Jan-21 12:08:50

this seems just crazy.

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 20:28:57

Chewbacca
I agree with you, but perhaps biba moves in different circles to us, we who have a degree of tolerance and respect for those with different views.
We are fortunate.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Jan-21 20:24:50

It was called "Doing a Bette Davis" (Davies?) in our house.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Jan-21 20:24:43

It’s like being perpetually trapped on the M25 ......round and round and round we go...............

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 20:23:03

I'm afraid they don't sound very caring to me, slagging their mothers off behind their backs. If I found out any of my children were doing this I'd be heartbroken.......firstly for the unkind comments and secondly because I had failed to teach them kindness and respect.
???

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 20:19:12

Iam64
???
Actually, my DB, in his 80s, was very shocked to find that one of his DGC voted to leave.
He still loves her, of course.
As anyone from a normal, loving family would.

If ever she thought I was playing the drama queen she'd snap, 'That's quite enough Sarah Siddons from you, young lady!' grin
That reminded me of my MIL who would say, if one of my DC was playing up: "She's just doing it for effect".

I'd forgotten that, thanks for reminding me.

MawBe Sat 09-Jan-21 20:11:45

Biba please give it a rest.

This thread was about Covid vaccinations and 10 elderly citizens who expressed a preference for the AZ vaccine

It is on the Coronavirus forum

It is not about Brexit

It is not about how they may or may not have voted

If you wish to continue about Brexit, there is plenty of scope on other forums-News and Politics for example.

biba70 Sat 09-Jan-21 20:09:42

Snowflakes, 'entitled ones' even - which I am64 objected to as a term- which I agree with, MawBe.

biba70 Sat 09-Jan-21 20:06:59

beverly10

MawBe.
Quote 'Those planning to travel and find they can no longer' Big [grin[ since when? even bigger grin

Not talking here about a short holiday- but travel to live abroad, and in the EU in particular. Some who have been planning to go and now won't be able to. Others who are currently in the EU, and find they will have no choice but to return. Those who have tried, and tried some more- to explain the direct consequences of Brexit on themselves and their chidlren, to their parents (of course not just mothers) - and it has all fallen on death ears. And who witness, day in, day out, the prejudice shown towards anything 'foreign' - and in this case, even life-saving vaccines that many are desperate for. Not for medical reasons, but based on nationalism- which some could call much worse.

This is not a 'covert Brexit thread' it is one that, again, shows that the links are there.

MawBe Sat 09-Jan-21 20:05:45

Many who already live abroad and are now not sure what will happen next- and those who were planning to travel and now find that they can no longer- and that their parents are to blame
It was Biba who said this
Thank you Lisagran I have just gone through the whole thread to find what I am supposed to have said .
Beverly10 -do you want to add anything?

Lisagran Sat 09-Jan-21 19:57:27

biba70

Callistemon

Not a snowflake in sight.

I never called them snowflakes or say that they swear.
I said they sound dreadful.

well, sorry, but they are wonderful and very caring and intelligent. Just despair that their parents have voted to strip them of their rights, of their livelyhoods and future, and their security, and that of their children- those people's grandchildren. And just cannot bear the lack of awareness of such, lack of contrition and how the fear, distrust and even worse, of foreigners and everything foreign, is tainting and guiding their views.

Many who already live abroad and are now not sure what will happen next- and those who were planning to travel and now find that they can no longer- and that their parents are to blame.

They are upset, and no wonder.

It was biba who said this

MawBe Sat 09-Jan-21 19:54:36

MawBe

beverly10

MawBe.
Quote 'Those planning to travel and find they can no longer' Big [grin[ since when? even bigger grin

I don’t think I ever said that? confused

Beverly10
You have me at a disadvantage as I don’t know what you are talking about.

Could I ask you to explain please?

MawBe Sat 09-Jan-21 19:51:24

beverly10

MawBe.

I don’t think I ever said that? confused

Lewie Sat 09-Jan-21 19:50:46

Kandinsky I'll second that.

beverly10 Sat 09-Jan-21 19:29:23

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Rosie51 Sat 09-Jan-21 19:27:44

biba70 I know my children wouldn't deliberately, knowingly vote to make my life poorer in the ways you suggest. They might vote in a way I'd rather they didn't but they would be voting because of genuine belief that their vote was in the best interests of the wider community. None of it would excuse them bad-mouthing me behind my back, and I maintain that the young people you refer to are not caring or kind to do this to their mothers. And still I wonder why they single their mothers out for this treatment when presumably some of their fathers also voted that way.

Chewbacca Sat 09-Jan-21 19:27:31

Shoehorning the topic into something other is disingenuous.

Not to mention boring, repetitive and tedious. Or unexpected.

Urmstongran Sat 09-Jan-21 19:26:20

This is a covert Brexit thread.
No more, no less.
Shoehorning the topic into something other is disingenuous.
?

Kandinsky Sat 09-Jan-21 19:23:13

I’m not quite sure what to think about someone who is still angry about Brexit when over a 1000 people a day are dying in a pandemic.

Chewbacca Sat 09-Jan-21 19:19:37

Excellent post Iam64, and I'm sure you speak for many of us.

biba

You seem to be singularly unlucky with your friends, young and old alike. The young ones appear, from what you've told us, to be perpetual victims of misfortune; poor, irresponsible and
neglectful parentage resulting in their offsprings dramatic reduction of all life has to offer. The older ones are selfish, self seeking, political luddites who can't see the impact that their ultra right wing, Brexit loving views are having on their offspring. I cannot recall knowing anyone irl who is as taxed as you are in regard to having poor friendship groups. Because I appear to be singularly luckier in friendships than you are (they're more tolerant, forgiving, broader minded and less likely to blame others for their misfortunes), you have my sympathy.

Lucretzia Sat 09-Jan-21 19:17:58

BIba70, people will adapt to this.

Humans always do.

I recall the chaos when we voted to enter the EEC. Lots of angry voices then as well.

Ditto the Euro. We were told time and time again that we'd be in a terrible state if we didn't adopt the currency.

Time passes. Things change. We adapt.

Especially the younger generation

I know a fair few and this is not an issue they are discussing

Most of them are intelligent enough to know when to let go. They look forward to making their way in a post covid world.

But Covid is what they're bothering about now. NotBrexit.

biba70 Sat 09-Jan-21 19:12:06

Rosie51, would you be heartbroken if your children voted to make your life poorer, less free, and change your future forever. I think you would- especially if you tried to explain the consequences to them and how hard it would affect you, and they just ploughed ahead, regardless.

biba70 Sat 09-Jan-21 19:10:03

MawBe

It can take a lot of (entitled) snowflakes ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️ to cover a ski run grin

I agree that the term is offensive.

beverly10 Sat 09-Jan-21 19:02:21

Lucca. Having shares in a company is a sure way to make money.

janeainsworth Sat 09-Jan-21 18:58:00

Iam64 ??

Rosie51 Sat 09-Jan-21 18:49:23

Best if I don't post some of the ones I've seen today who have been pretty damning and not mincing words about their DM reading mothers- some of them have had to take to drink.

Only their mothers, not their fathers?

well, sorry, but they are wonderful and very caring and intelligent.

I'm afraid they don't sound very caring to me, slagging their mothers off behind their backs. If I found out any of my children were doing this I'd be heartbroken.......firstly for the unkind comments and secondly because I had failed to teach them kindness and respect.