Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Percentages for vaccine

(61 Posts)
Issipy Sun 24-Jan-21 10:40:08

The vaccine I'm due to have is listed as averaging 70% effective. Does this mean that only 70% of patients will be protected? Or does it mean that we would only get a 30% illness?

Cagsy Mon 25-Jan-21 18:08:02

As I understand it means that each individual has 70 to 80% immunity, so still a small chance of catching it and even less chance of it being serious or life threatening. I think the real benefit would be if it proved to block transmission - and if everyone offered it accepted it.

BlueSky Mon 25-Jan-21 18:27:42

Thanks Scottydog good to have the opinion of a professional!

Hetty58 Mon 25-Jan-21 18:47:33

Cagsy, no, it won't work like that. Some people will build good immunity, others won't.

effalump Mon 25-Jan-21 18:59:55

There's not enough clarity from the Govt.'s health/scientific advisors. What with the percentages and now they're saying that a) the vaccine won't stop you from getting it more than once and b) you may be passing it round even if you're asymptomatic. So a few months ago they were saying you could "kill Granny" if you visited them, so what is it now? I'm beginning to wonder what the point of this vaccine is.

Daftbag1 Mon 25-Jan-21 19:50:18

It means that 70% of vaccinated people will be protected but for the 30% remainder the vaccine won't be effective. Unfortunately no one will know if they ARE protected so everyone will have to continue to behave as if they are still vulnerable.

Jaxjacky Mon 25-Jan-21 19:51:03

effalump the point of the vaccine is that if you do get it it’s unlikely you’ll be hospitalised, thus reducing strain on the NHS or suffer complications. You may infect someone who is not yet vaccinated, especially if you don’t carry on with hands, face, space. It’s all a moving, changing situation, particularly with new variants, so quoting guidance from months ago may not be relevant to the current situation.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 25-Jan-21 20:37:16

I think the figures given for effectiveness are what was seen in the controlled trials. In the real world this may change, depending on many variables. and could be more or less, or similarly as effective as seen in the trials.

Data is being collected constantly and in time there will be much more information available. Hopefully the vaccines will be extremely effective, and if not will be tweaked according to virus variants.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 25-Jan-21 20:38:33

Crossed post Jaxjacky

Franbern Tue 26-Jan-21 17:37:49

paperbackwriter very similar for me. Jab late Saturday morning. I was fine until lunchtime on Sunday, when I just could not get myself properly awake, kept falling asleep, felt chilled and achey. By Monday morning I was fine again.

EllanVannin Tue 26-Jan-21 18:37:07

Paperbackwriter

EllanVannin

I was told yesterday that the vaccine I had ( AstraZeneca ) has a high level of immunity. I don't know how high as I haven't read up about it. The second dose is in 6 weeks time.
However I still have to stick to the rules

I had mine on Saturday too - did you have any side-effects? I was fine till the evening then had shivers and shakes and I felt a bit flu-ish all Sunday. Fine again today!

No side-effects---which usually worries me slightly as I always think that it hasn't worked grin Then again, where there's no sense there's no feeling.