Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Can "anti-Vaxxers&q uot; explain?

(224 Posts)
Jillybird Tue 23-Feb-21 12:03:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

M0nica Sat 27-Feb-21 22:32:36

aonk Do you feel the same about the flue vaccine? That has to be reformulated every year to match the latest flu variant and only gives protection to about 50% of those that receive it. On average 17,000 people die from flu each year.

COVID has been particularly vicious because it is an entirely new disease and no one knew how to treat it. Now, as we know, as well as the vaccine, new ways of treating those that have the illness are getting better and treating more more effectively.

Look back to HIV/AIDS. When the disease first manifest itself in the 1980s, it killed almost all those affected nd killed them quickly. We still have no vaccine for AIDS, but developments in medications have made it a disease people live with and the longevity of those with it is not much less than the average. COVID will never go away, but like flu or AIDs it will become controllable and kept within limits.

In this age where every common illness has a vaccine or quick cure, we are forgetting how in the very recent past, for many of us, in our lifetimes, there were a whole range od diseases which came through in epidemics, which we all just took as we went: measles, mumps, polio, whooping cough, scarlet fever, German measles, diptheria, flu.

Now that these are in control, we worry about every little thing that has a name.

aonk Sat 27-Feb-21 12:26:24

I realise I’ve come very late to this thread. I’ve had my first vaccine. I was quite happy to to have it on the basis that it currently appears to be having a significant effect on death rates and hospital admissions. However my view is that I don’t really have any faith in it. How protected will we be and for how long? How safe will we be when restrictions are relaxed? On my darker days I worry that we could still be in for some nasty surprises.

GrannyRose15 Fri 26-Feb-21 23:24:10

Everyone I know in the 25 -45 age group can't wait to get their vaccination.

LauraNorder Fri 26-Feb-21 21:13:07

Jaffacake, you must have been very disappointed. Hopefully you’ll have the jab soon flowers
Growstuff ?

growstuff Fri 26-Feb-21 19:21:44

PamelaJ1

growstuff

Do they give you a sticker or a lollipop? I'm still peeved I didn't get either yesterday. wink

I got a sticker.
Do you think I should keep it? Will it be worth a huge sum of money on the Antique Road Show in 50 years?

Do you think you'll be around in 50 years?

Not fair! I'm jealous! wink

Marydoll Fri 26-Feb-21 19:21:41

Jaffacake, You must have been so disappointed.
I'm one of those people who always need to double check, so I checked with both my consultant and GP well in advance. They are the people who know me well.
I had mine done in my GP surgery, as I'm CEV and was deemed too vulnerable to go to a hub. My consultant told me I was more at danger of dying of Covid than suffering a severe reaction and despite being immunosuppressed, I should have the vaccine.
I hope you can resolve this.

I read (I'm always reading something) of two doctors in the USA, who suffered anaphylactic shock after having the vaccine, but they had their Epipens on them, which saved their lives and they recovered in hospital.
Hence the advice which came out, about having your Epipen on you. My son carries an Epipen and he has been well warned to check everything out prior to receiving the vaccine.

growstuff Fri 26-Feb-21 19:20:56

I belong to local Facebook groups too. The most vocal anti-vaxxers are middle-aged (well over 30) - one has now been banned. Most people are discussing the patchy roll out after the local GP hub got off to a flying start. It now appears they've run out of vaccine. Some people seem to have been missed off the list and the GPs aren't answering any queries, but I would honestly say that there are only about six people who keep appearing with their anti-vaxx propaganda. They're the same people who won't wear masks. I don't know what they're playing at really because a couple of them run local businesses and I doubt if they'll have many customers left if they carry on the way they are.

PamelaJ1 Fri 26-Feb-21 19:16:16

growstuff

Do they give you a sticker or a lollipop? I'm still peeved I didn't get either yesterday. wink

I got a sticker.
Do you think I should keep it? Will it be worth a huge sum of money on the Antique Road Show in 50 years?

growstuff Fri 26-Feb-21 19:15:33

Jaxjacky

growstuff I did say ‘some’ I’m in a local Facebook group which has a lot of 18-30 year olds in, through my son and experience of hearing about a couple of friends children.

Fair enough! My own children are in that age group and I know they're not anti-vaxx and they've never mentioned any friends who are either.

Jaxjacky Fri 26-Feb-21 19:11:52

growstuff I did say ‘some’ I’m in a local Facebook group which has a lot of 18-30 year olds in, through my son and experience of hearing about a couple of friends children.

Jaffacake2 Fri 26-Feb-21 19:05:00

Marydoll I spoke to a vaccine coordinator on the phone yesterday who told me to go to the appointment and it will be discussed with the lead clinician when you arrive. I wasn't expecting to be turned down for a vaccine.

Marydoll Fri 26-Feb-21 19:00:27

Jaffacake, I'm sorry to hear that, you must have been so disappointed.
Did you check with your clinicians before going? That's what I had to do, before I could have the vaccine.
Unfortunately, despite checking with my consultant, I had a very severe reaction, with two weeks being very unwell.

Fortunately I haven't suffered from anaphylaxis, but have had a few hospitals stays due to allergic reactions to a number of medications, so everyone was very cautious.
I read that the advice was to have the vaccine in a hospital setting and have your epipen with you, just in case.
Why did you have it in a hub, with your past history?

GrannyRose15 Fri 26-Feb-21 19:00:09

Oh dear, Jaffacake2. What a disappointment when you'd got all psyched up. I had heard there was something about allergies that stopped you having the vaccine but the information isn't at all clear.

They should really have told you when you booked.

Hope the Bailey's helps.

Jaffacake2 Fri 26-Feb-21 18:52:13

So upset as went for vaccine appointment today at a big hub and told I couldn't have it because I have had anaphylaxis in the past . I thought I was going to be given the Oxford one as it has been documented people with allergies can't have Pfizer.
Was told they may have hospital clinics set up sometime for people like me, but in the mean time be careful.
Had psyched myself up to take the risk today as have asthma and neurological condition and don't want to get covid.
Going down a bottle of Baileys tonight to forget the day !

GrannyRose15 Fri 26-Feb-21 18:36:13

Is that just the oldest person you know, or the oldest person opposed to having a vaccine?

By the time I get to 99 I'm sure I won't be bothering with anything designed to help me live any longer.

MissAdventure Fri 26-Feb-21 18:23:36

The oldest one I know is 99.

growstuff Fri 26-Feb-21 18:20:49

Jaxjacky Why do you think it's only younger people? The people I've seen on social media sounding off about being anti-vaxxers have, on the whole, been middle aged and older people. It could, of course, be that I don't come into contact with many younger people.

Casdon Fri 26-Feb-21 17:57:27

Interesting that in the briefing tonight they didn’t rule out vaccine passports being needed for mass events like football matches, the Committee looking into it will decide apparently. That will sharpen some of the doubters minds I have no doubt if it happens.

Jaxjacky Fri 26-Feb-21 17:51:43

Unfortunately some younger people are into theories from anti vax groups, it’s seen as a sort of ‘cause’ and they often have influence over older members of their family. I’m going to go on tippy toes here: if the older members of the family are enclosed in a community, with little understanding of the world outside, they can rely on the youngsters for information.

M0nica Fri 26-Feb-21 17:09:54

I got a little card that confirmed I had had the first jab. Does that count? smile

NellG Fri 26-Feb-21 13:08:02

Yoginimeisje

Yes *NellG all those quotes from GN members, chilling!!

Blimey! I must have been snoozing! I'm glad, as Alegrias said, that those with those opinions were 'politely asked to reconsider' if they were said in seriousness and even if they were a joke the connotations aren't great.

I hope I didn't come across as doubting you, I was just quite shocked to read those statements - and I'm not a woman easily shocked.

Mind you I was the person who made the 'joke' about monkey DNA and I'm still paying for it! Boomerang idiocy at it's finest - ?

Ro60 Fri 26-Feb-21 13:04:45

? ? ? ? can't find a sticker though x

Ro60 Fri 26-Feb-21 13:00:22

???❤ & congratulations Growstuff.

growstuff Fri 26-Feb-21 12:55:17

What's more, I wasn't injected with a 5G chip and haven't developed a liking for bananas.

In fact, I don't feel anything - I just hope it's done something.

growstuff Fri 26-Feb-21 12:51:55