Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Italy insist on all medical staff must be vaccinated.

(41 Posts)
Polarbear2 Sun 11-Apr-21 09:42:50

Yes. (Where I worked) All nurses, doctors and associated health care professionals had to have a range of vaccinations in order to get a contract. Just add this one on. No drama.

BlueSky Sun 11-Apr-21 09:42:26

Agree Sodapop we are in an exceptional situation.

sodapop Sun 11-Apr-21 09:36:47

I agree B9 I think its early days yet and as time goes on there will be better treatments,vaccines etc. I'm not generally a fan of government mandates but at the moment we have to do what we can. My daughter is a community nurse and had her vaccination a good while ago.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 11-Apr-21 09:00:41

Yes. I think they should. Would you like someone you loved looking after someone who didn’t believe in vaccination.

Nanof3 Sun 11-Apr-21 08:44:39

Unless there is a very good reason e.g pregnancy I think all healthcare workers should have the jab, a carer who looks after my stepmother aged 89 and her daughter who works in a care home have both refused, it makes me worried and angry.

B9exchange Sun 11-Apr-21 00:19:43

If you choose to work in a role caring for sick or vulnerable people you will have to have a hepatitis B jab. No jab, no job, your choice. I can't see any difference with the covid jab. Not mandatory for anyone else, but in those roles, yes.

maddyone Sat 10-Apr-21 23:04:21

I don’t think people should be forced to get vaccinated, I just wish people would understand the need to be vaccinated.

Casdon Sat 10-Apr-21 22:11:25

It’s related to all front line healthcare staff, not just doctors. If anybody’s interested, here’s a good article explaining the situation in Italy.
www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/world/europe/italy-covid-vaccines-health-workers.html
The not vaccinated rate is very similar to healthcare staff in the UK. I’m sure we are already seeing similar scenarios in the UK, and I do think all frontline NHS staff should be vaccinated or move to a non patient facing role unless they have an overriding medical reason which precludes vaccination.

Esspee Sat 10-Apr-21 22:11:01

When you are ill you need to be protected. I wouldn’t have any issues with vaccination being made essential for staff in hospitals.

YorkLady Sat 10-Apr-21 21:51:40

Are medical staff routinely tested now? I thought that it was weekly but I can’t find any evidence of this. Anyone know?

suziewoozie Sat 10-Apr-21 21:47:54

Another no here. That’s not the way to solve the problem. Re reduction in transmission, I haven’t seen any figures recently but the last ones I saw said the reduction was about 70%

EkwaNimitee Sat 10-Apr-21 21:32:41

More research is needed before we go down the mandatory route

Amberone Sat 10-Apr-21 21:25:39

Don't think so, but certainly should be regularly tested.

I'm not sure what the current evidence is that vaccinations stop you spreading Covid. I remember reading somewhere that it may reduce transmission, I think. Anyone know??

BlueSky Sat 10-Apr-21 21:19:07

Makes sense. I read that medical staff who refuse will be transferred to duties not likely to spread infection.

Galaxy Sat 10-Apr-21 19:18:10

No.

mokryna Sat 10-Apr-21 19:17:31

Italy insist on all medical staff must be vaccinated. If they refuse they are to be sent home without any pay. Do you think this should happen in every country?