Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Social distancing.

(96 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 13-Apr-21 23:55:27

So I went into the nearby small seaside town today. First time I’ve been anywhere like that for over a year apart from going to Boots for my flu jab. Social distancing was non existent. We were the only ones moving out of the way. At one point a family of 6 plus a pushchair spread over the whole pavement and made us walk in the road. Is it the same everywhere? What happened to the two metre rule which changed to one metre and then changed back again? It seems to me that one metre is no different to how things were pre pandemic.

M0nica Fri 16-Apr-21 15:31:39

I must say, that I have found in my neck of the woods, people do, as a rule, obey the social distancing rules. However I have been avoiding shopping at busy times, so that when I am out there is plenty of space for people to keep a distance.Just being practical. I would not, for example go to a shopping centre tomorrow or out to a pub.

As with everything in life we have to assess the risks and then decide how to act. Now the prevalence of the disease has fallen so much and I am fully vaccinated, I am far more relaxed about people not keeping their distance than I was, but, as I said. I would still choose to avoid places likely to be crowded.

MayBee70 Thu 15-Apr-21 19:59:59

I’m not freaking out because I had to walk down a street full of people. I’m just annoyed that people never move out of my way and that it’s always me that moves and it’s been like that for a year now. Even before we were sure that the virus was less transmissible outside it was always me that moved away from others, often having to walk in the road.

M0nica Thu 15-Apr-21 18:14:23

Maybee70 We are dealing with a two very different scenarios. The UK has over half the population vaccinated and 95% of those in vulnerable groups and a low refusal rate.

In Europe we are dealing with a group of countries most with vaccine rates of 10% or less and 20% of the population resisitant to being vaccinated.

What is happening in Europe is no guide to what may happen in the UK. Most, if not all the vaccines protect against all current known variants and where there are small flare ups of variants, the systems now in place seem good at picking them up and containing them.

I am not denying that complacency is a danger, but that danger lies in crowds of people indoors, demonstrations, raves, where people are all huddled in a mass for hours on end.

The chances of getting COVID because you walked down a crowded street and every body was not social distancing are remote indeed.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 15-Apr-21 13:20:36

I agree Aepgirl, that regardless of how we perceive the situation we should respect other people’s concerns, and I also agree MayBee70 about complacency.

However we do know that the virus spreads mainly by inhaling droplets and aerosols so I feel reasonably safe outside, and also that the most vulnerable of us have some vaccination protection.

It’s different inside where many are mingling, and we are not out of the woods with regard to variants developing.

MayBee70 Thu 15-Apr-21 12:51:13

The chances of catching covid were much reduced before. And then look what happened. And see what’s happening in other countries. We have to still protect ourselves from the new variants because it’s the U.K. variant that is now wreaking havoc in Europe. This virus thrives on complacency. Yes, we do need to make life as normal as possible but we still have to be on our guard and still think, not just of ourselves, but of everyone else.

Aepgirl Thu 15-Apr-21 12:21:42

It’s not just a matter of ‘living in fear’ biscuitmuncher, but people being selfish and not recognising other people’s concerns.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 15-Apr-21 10:42:15

What I wanted to stress is that the chance of running into someone with Covid is much reduced, and just passing them outside can be almost risk free.

MayBee70 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:39:40

We would do, pre pandemic, but don’t want to get close to people. I do play the old lady card quite a lot these days. What I don’t understand is that I come from a family that were poor as church mice. My parents weren’t just unemployed but unemployable: we lived in a slum. But I have manners and respect for other people. When we do move out of people’s way and they ignore us we do shout ‘thank you’ as they walk past which results in a bemused look usually. A smile costs nothing though, does it, and nice comments when people walk past at a distance such as ‘beautiful day, isn’t it’ mean a lot.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 15-Apr-21 10:38:35

The latest ONS survey shows that an estimated 1 in 2 UK residents (in the community) at the end of March, would test positive for Covid antibodies, either because of vaccination or previous infection. They have not tested for TCell response which also plays a part in immunity, and some may have low levels of antibodies not discernible on test, but may still have some protection. They do stress that having antibodies doesn’t mean you are necessarily protected, but I feel it is a positive sign.

Much better than this time last year.

Azalea99 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:31:14

When you come across people like the family of six who completely blocked the pavement just remember that you are a sweet little old person. Smile adoringly at the cute little children, smile openly and in friendly fashion at the adults. Smile for all you’re worth but DONT MOVE AN INCH.

maddyone Thu 15-Apr-21 10:01:34

Thanks Alegrias.

Yammy Thu 15-Apr-21 09:29:39

Shops like John Lewis . House of Fraser, M&S
and Debenhams are doing badly or closing because the young did not use them. We all look back sadly on the times when our age group did.
The problem with the High street when this is all over {IF it ever is] will not be for the young who can get a bag full for a tenner in Primark, then, throw it away when they can't be bothered to wash it or it goes out of shape when they do, or they will continue to shop online.
The problem will be for the middle-aged to older women who usually have the money to buy and want good quality clothes and shoes that last at least a year.
You only have to look at the reviews on M&S who are now selling Jaegar. I spotted at least three critical reviews of their Jaegar range saying they were not up to the old standard and not worth the price. Where will we shop? Or perhaps we do not matter. As shown by the behaviour of some young people toward keeping a distance and keeping the oldies and vulnerable safe.

Alegrias1 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:27:03

Great post maddyone

maddyone Thu 15-Apr-21 09:19:09

So many of the Covid deaths are in the over 80s that it’s not surprising that many of these end up back in hospital, or indeed they die of either Covid related, or other conditions. Whilst some younger people die of Covid, a quick look at the graphs shows that by far the greatest number of Covid deaths occur in the oldest age group, the over 80s. As this is the age group that would be expected to die of any of a large number of conditions, then it is not surprising that this age group suffers the largest number of fatalities. Despite the vaccine, people at high risk will need to continue to be careful, whilst younger people who have less risk can afford to get somewhat more back to some kind of normality.

Shropshirelass Thu 15-Apr-21 09:17:07

I haven’t been out yet and don’t plan to for a while, waiting for the initial mad rush has subsided. I will stick to social distancing and avoid large crowded areas.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 15-Apr-21 08:01:49

I certainly think the vaccines have been a game changer. It is still very early days and so much is unknown with regard to variants. I certainly dont think we will be returning to our pre covid world any time soon. It's both an individual and global responsibility. Sadly I'm sure that life will continue as it has for the past year or so with some trying to be responsible and others not. That's life and that's people. We all need to have an element of caution, especially those who are higher risk. That said we cant continue to live in a perpetual state of fear and in lockdown as a society on general.
Summer and outdoor activities should probably be relished. No one knows what the autumn/winter may bring. Unless science provides another flash of inspiration I suspect a repeat of the previous one.
Those of us who are potentially vulnerable may just have to adapt, however worrying or unfair that feels.

CanadianGran Thu 15-Apr-21 01:25:33

It brought it to reality when I was walking on a path in the winter with the sun streaming down. I could clearly see everyone's breath, and how far it travelled.

Whenever I am not able to distance 2m, I wear my mask now. At least I feel safe, no matter what the government declares the rule of the day, month, etc. If I am on a path or sidewalk on my own, I drop my mask. If you don't feel safe, then mask up!

M0nica Wed 14-Apr-21 23:01:32

Frankly, I no longer trust anything this government says on COVID. They just decide the message they want to push across and manipulate the truth to turn it into their truth.

The COVID death statistics are confusing, as well as those who died within 30 days of having the disease, but died of something else. A third of COVID patients end up back in hospital within 5 months and a third of them die www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/health/coronavirus/nearly-a-third-of-covid-patients-return-to-hospital-within-5-months-new-study-explained-3104300

For some of these, this will be because of long COVID or some other problem they are left with following COVID and a proportion of those that die will be of Covid or assoxiated illnesses.

Elvis58 Wed 14-Apr-21 22:44:05

After reading today at least a quarter if not more of covid deaths recorded were people who in fact did not die of covid! l am very sceptical of any government advice.First the vaccine is a game changer now its not.l am throughly sick of lockdowns and went into my local market town and it was buzzing.lt was lovely to see and l for one will be taking advantage of every little freedom given to us.l am off on holiday at the end of the month in my caravan.Yippee!

Sara1954 Wed 14-Apr-21 22:01:04

MayBee
I kind of think that ship has sailed.
I agree we still need to be cautious, and respectful of other people, but we also have to get out and get on with it.
I think the time has come for us to accept that it’s not going away any time soon, but as far as we can, to get some normality back in our lives.

MayBee70 Wed 14-Apr-21 21:54:38

I think the high street was dying anyway, probably as a result of young people using the internet to shop. The point I’m trying to make though (I think) is that I want people to respect my personal space which is different to what I used to want my personal space to be. And I’d like people. to realise, when they have a jolly day out somewhere, that they’re going to somewhere where people actually live and should still adhere to the rules.

justwokeup Wed 14-Apr-21 21:48:24

Kryptonite, we had AZ vaccine, OH and I were very happy with it, no side effects whatsoever. I accept that is just us. I might be cynical but I wonder if it has a bad press because it's sold at cost? The big drug companies who are making lots of profit out of their competing vaccines might have an interest in AZ being denigrated. The price of Pfizer, for example, has just gone up by 60%. When they release independent figures about how their own vaccines are linked with blood clots maybe I'll believe those are better. Unfortunately some people will die of blood clots, the evidence of a link relates to minute figures in millions of people. Even if it was within my family I'd say have the vaccine, we have lost a family member with Covid and anti-vaccine scaremongering is not helpful.

justwokeup Wed 14-Apr-21 21:28:17

We went in city centre today - fairly quiet, just some short queues of young people outside clothes shops. But we passed Debenhams (closing), House of Fraser (closing), John Lewis (closed), M&Co (closed). Is the high street dying preferable to a bit of thoughtlessness? We really can't stay at home for ever. Can we? What future are we creating for our young people?

Kryptonite Wed 14-Apr-21 21:07:14

MayBe70 I'm personally not happy with AZ jab and nearly changed my mind except felt pressure to have it. Luckily I'm ok, but people will still die from it. I think figures should be updated about how many die in future, because they are also victims of covid indirectly. The media will hush it all up of course so as not to put people off. There's no way of knowing who will get the blood clots as it's happening to perfectly healthy people. I think if people had a choice, they wouldn't choose AZ. Denmark has just banned it completely.

Jaxjacky Wed 14-Apr-21 20:59:50

MOnica 14 areas with rising cases sadly.
Some people and I know of some, are ‘bending’ the rules, up to them, but annoying. Generally, in our village still distancing, still masks and sanitising in the shops.