Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

When will we be allowed into another country to see our grandchildren?

(69 Posts)
Picturebookwriter Mon 19-Jul-21 10:57:59

Like many, I’ve been prevented from visiting my grandchildren since March 2020 because they live in another country that I am refused entry to (In my case UK and USA). I have patiently and sadly accepted these circumstances, but am growing increasingly upset for my grandchildren, who ask when I can go and see them, and for myself. A year and a half is a huge proportion of their young lives. With no end in sight, isn’t it time we petition governments to put double-vaccinated grandparents on the exemptions list - along with businessmen, sports people and celebrities?

JackyB Thu 22-Jul-21 11:07:11

springishere

So when will expats be allowed into this country?

I thought we were allowed to go back to the UK if we wanted/needed to. But, like my sister in the UK, I am holding back. No need to unnecessarily pass through airports and risk people's health and possibly lives.

I will now have to check what the situation really is.

maddyone Thu 22-Jul-21 10:38:54

My daughter and her husband and children only moved to New Zealand this May. They are doctors and had enough of the Covid situation in the NHS and the way some patients have reacted towards GPs. They have only been gone for two months but already we are missing them terribly. Like everyone else here we have no idea when we will be able to go out to see them as New Zealand’s vaccination programme is delayed due to not being able to obtain sufficient Pfizer vaccines to vaccinate their entire population. They were hoping to complete the vaccination programme by September but now it will not be completed until the end of the year. Who knows if it will even happen then, and New Zealand have said they will not open there borders until all their population is fully vaccinated. So at the moment there is absolutely no hope of seeing our daughter and grandchildren in the foreseeable future.

CSW52 Wed 21-Jul-21 23:21:05

My daughter and 3yr old gd live in Japan. I haven’t seen them for over 2 years now. I find I am constantly pining for my daughter and our lovely little gd is growing so fast. No idea when Japan will open its borders again. I am definitely struggling with the situation and am sad and fearful. I am thinking of all of you in similar situations and send us all courage and patience to wait this out.

storynanny Wed 21-Jul-21 22:50:37

Same here grandchildren in USA not seen since summer 2019 and in Singapore not seen since jan 2020, see the newest twins once at 3 months old they are now nearly 2
We just have to wait, there is no other way.
I miss my adult children terribly. But don’t drone on to them as they are finding it all so hard themselves with wfh and home schooling.

Yammy Wed 21-Jul-21 22:43:34

I, ve not seen my DD and family since July 2019. We have managed by Facetiming but it is not the same. It looks as if one grandchild will be a teenager by the time I see them they were playing with dolls when I did last. So many of us are in the same situation. All countries make their all rules. I console myself by saying well they are on the other side of the world, I would be really upset if they were in France or Spain so near but so far out of reach.

BlueSky Wed 21-Jul-21 22:13:56

Same here my children and grandchildren live in Australia. FaceTime has helped but hardly the same as spending blissful weeks with them. Sadly like for so many on here, age and ailments will soon put a stop to such long haul journeys.

Kryptonite Wed 21-Jul-21 18:21:52

Karen888 did you have any problems organising insurance for yourself? This is the problem my brother is having trying to be reunited with his wife, getting insurance that is guaranteed to cover him.

GrandmaTrisha Wed 21-Jul-21 17:41:35

I haven’t seen my three gorgeous GC since August 2019. They live in Australia which has no intention of letting anyone into the country until at least next year and that was before their current new wave of the virus.
It makes me very sad but I just try not to think about it if I can and concentrate on the two beautiful GDs I have here and can see.

ayse Wed 21-Jul-21 15:47:28

I’m waiting for NZ to open up. I heard from my daughter who lives there that they are finally starting vaccinations. I just don’t know how long I’ll have to wait until I can see them all in person. Cost may also be an issue as there’s no way I could afford to quarantine for 2 weeks plus the flights. It’s very difficult for all of us not knowing when we will be able to meet again.

Callistemon Wed 21-Jul-21 15:19:28

Australia and New Zealand may grant exemptions for someone to come back to the UK for the funeral of a close relative or may let an expat Australian into Australia to visit a dying relative or for a funeral.

However, it is getting back either way which is the problem as flights are few and going back t NZ or Australia means booking a quarantine hotel for which there is a waiting list and co-ordinating a flight with that.
Unless someone is not working or can work remotely from anywhere it is not easy as this could take weeks to arrange.

coastalgran Wed 21-Jul-21 14:39:47

There are lots of families who are split due to work in distant countries or simply wanting to live in another part of the world. Many families can't visit loved ones for financial reasons never mind Covid and these were in place long before the flight restrictions. Lots of people just have to make do with social media and photos of their loved ones growing up. Count yourself lucky that you have been able to visit the USA and see grandchildren. Surely protecting their health is more important than a short visit.

greenlady102 Wed 21-Jul-21 14:32:19

Picturebookwriter

Like many, I’ve been prevented from visiting my grandchildren since March 2020 because they live in another country that I am refused entry to (In my case UK and USA). I have patiently and sadly accepted these circumstances, but am growing increasingly upset for my grandchildren, who ask when I can go and see them, and for myself. A year and a half is a huge proportion of their young lives. With no end in sight, isn’t it time we petition governments to put double-vaccinated grandparents on the exemptions list - along with businessmen, sports people and celebrities?

its not up to this gov't, its up to the USA

SueDonim Wed 21-Jul-21 14:26:32

I haven’t seen my son and his family in the US for over two years. In that time, they’ve moved house to another state so I can’t even visualise where they live now.

Karen888 Wed 21-Jul-21 13:51:01

I have accessed the USA from the UK to visit my family by going to Mexico for 2 weeks first. Once you have been out of the UK for 14 full days you can fly into the USA on day 15. I was tired of waiting for the UK/US restrictions to be lifted so found this alternative (legal) route. I am now finally reunited with my daughter and granddaughter in Florida.

CAH65 Wed 21-Jul-21 13:30:43

I heard on the radio that Canada and USA are opening the border on Aug 9th. I, too am waiting for Thise living in USA to be able to visit their families in England. I have dual citizenship and am living in USA (who handled the pandemic crazily) and am anxious to come be with my British family

Jill0753 Wed 21-Jul-21 13:16:14

Another one here with a son and his family in South Australia. He has been there almost 9 years and we managed to see each other once a year. It’s been over 20 months now and we think it is unlikely we’ll see him this year. Australia has tight border control, limited flights and there are still over 30,000 Australians waiting to go home. He is still waiting for his first jab at 42. I’m expecting my grandson to be taller than me by the time I see him again.

MaggsMcG Wed 21-Jul-21 13:11:04

"reikinana" I agree a lot of money has been made all around the world by and for good and bad reasons. Thats the way of the world I'm afraid people are very quick to take advantage. I'm lucky in that my grandchildren are all in this country but I can feel for you all. Although I don't get to see two of them much as one is working away and the other is too busy to visit me.

Laurmurf Wed 21-Jul-21 13:06:39

I’m so lucky that the Dutch government has a special exemption for grandparents of newborn grandchildren. We are fully jabbed, got fully tested, got copies of birth certs and filled in all the forms needed- and got to meet our first grandchild a fortnight ago. It was such a sensible approach

Daisend1 Wed 21-Jul-21 13:01:39

Webcam has given me the opportunity to visit my U.S family until they or myself can once again meet in person.

reikinana Wed 21-Jul-21 12:52:19

I live in France and missing my family in UK so much. My eldest son is Head Groundsman at Yorkshire Sculpture Park so can’t isolate at home. As soon as the need to quarantine on return was lifted for double jabbees he booked a flight for him and our granddaughters. We were all over the moon but in no time at all the UK government changed the rules and made a new category, Amber +, just for France. Heartbreaking. He tried to change his flights with just over a week before departure and was unable to do so, despite Ryanair websites saying you can. He was kicked of the online “chat” so tried online customer service and he was number 499 in the queue! The money people have lost with all this flip flopping and the heartache it has caused. I feel for all grandparents who are separated from their grandchildren. We speak on zoom but they are growing up so fast! It is so sad and much of it is unnecessary. There are people who have made a lot of money out of Covid and they don’t want the gravy train to stop. Stay safe everyone.

Susieq62 Wed 21-Jul-21 12:49:05

My only brother lives in Australia. We used to take it in turns to visit but he was here in 2019 and we have not been able to go to Oz.
He is 69 and I am nearly 71. I am just being patient and keeping safe. He hasn’t even been vaccinated yet and no sign of this happening so he has taken off on a six month camping trip around WA and living the dream.
My travel insurance will be more expensive when I can finally visit. However, we are both pragmatic and hope we can see out this crisis in order to hug each other again.
Be patient folks!!

Lincslass Wed 21-Jul-21 12:26:51

There are still people from America visiting the UK, unfortunately a friend for a funeral. Would they let us visit for the same I wonder?

Tish Wed 21-Jul-21 12:18:50

As usual there seems to be 1 law for the rich…. There are plenty people still jetting round the world on private jets etc avoiding the COVID rules…it is heartbreaking for families who haven’t been able to meet up for what is now becoming years….

Bamm Wed 21-Jul-21 12:17:07

I don't think that my son and daughter in law would want to travel at the moment when the advice is not to come to UK . Children are 8 and 10, they visited every year when children were babies but it is rather an expensive trip for all four of them now. I have been visiting them in recent years.

Patticake123 Wed 21-Jul-21 12:16:22

My son, his wife and two of our grandchildren are in the USA and we’ve not seen them since early 2020. Since then their Canadian grandfather, to whom they were very close , suddenly died. My youngest granddaughter said to me on FaceTime “ will we ever see you again Nanny”. It is so hard for the children when time seems to go so slowly. I really doubt we’ll. be seeing them anytime soon, however much we want to.