Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How would you have prepared?

(53 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Wed 25-Mar-20 11:13:45

If you could go back four or five weeks, what would you do to prepare for this horrendous situation? I would stock up on hand sanitiser and paracetamol. (I have found the small shops have plenty of loo paper), bought a new thermometer as mine still has normal as 98.4! Bought two sun loungers and go to the garden centre. Got our lawn mower back off our DD and SiL. Have gone to see the play our son was in when it was on in Doncaster and Mold. Arranged for the chiropodist to do my feet and toe nails. And have sent my DH to have his hair cut. It may be completely white, but he has loads of it and it grows at an alarming rate!

vampirequeen Wed 25-Mar-20 11:19:11

I don't think I'd have done anything different tbh.

Kittye Wed 25-Mar-20 11:30:31

Bought hand sanitizer and a thermometer. Got out of date hand sanitizer. No thermometer. I’m sure people must have bought one for each member of the family. ☹️

Daisymae Wed 25-Mar-20 11:37:54

I would not have binned the large bottle of hand sanitizer I found in the car as I thought that it was out of datehmm

NanTheWiser Wed 25-Mar-20 11:59:14

Why a new thermometer, Lizbethann55? If the old one is still accurate ( and I trust the old Mercury ones more than the digital ones) then you don't really need a new (expensive) one.
I still have a 40+ years old Mercury one, and I shall happily carry on using it!
I do wish I had bought plants at the garden centre a few weeks ago, to fill in a lot of gaps in my borders, but if they set up online ordering, I shall try to get them that way.

Humbertbear Wed 25-Mar-20 12:21:35

Is have booked some home delivery slots. Can’t get one anywhere. Might have thought about buying another freezer

Thingmajig Wed 25-Mar-20 12:30:54

I would have done some stocking up shopping ... we do have food enough but it won't last us long and the shops are almost empty, at least of the things we want to buy!
I should have listened to my young dentist a few weeks ago when he was telling me he'd done a huge on-line shop in preparation ... well I did listen but then dismissed it as unnecessary. blush
Thankfully I have a huge stash of craft supplies (card-making) and wool so have plenty to keep my busy if I can only motivate myself!!!

maddyone Wed 25-Mar-20 12:39:20

Hand sanitizer does not kill Coronavirus unless it contains at least 60% alcohol. Most hand sanitizers don’t contain alcohol, so I wouldn’t have bothered stocking up on those.

Labaik Wed 25-Mar-20 13:00:05

I started preparing weeks ago; restocked my freezer and larder and bought lots of dog food.

Charleygirl5 Wed 25-Mar-20 13:07:02

I am a hoarder naturally so I am well prepared. I may have bought a sanitiser earlier and then I would not have had to take out a mortgage to pay for it.

merlotgran Wed 25-Mar-20 13:11:17

I did prepare. I never leave anything to chance.

Missfoodlove Wed 25-Mar-20 13:13:36

Smug always comes back and bites you on the bum.
So I won’t gloat but saw this coming weeks ago. I got hand sanitizer ,masks and gloves at the end of January. Loo rolls first week in Feb online.
The one thing I should have done is eat down more of our freezer.

Calendargirl Wed 25-Mar-20 13:14:05

DH and I would have had our eyes tested, rather overdue, and I would have ‘encouraged’ (forced) DH to have a hearing test as I swear he has become deafer in the last few days.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 25-Mar-20 13:14:09

You ought to be able to buy a thermometer online, if you want one.

Calendargirl Wed 25-Mar-20 13:14:36

Oh, and would have taken more books out at the library.

heath480 Wed 25-Mar-20 13:17:13

I always have to much of everything,I would have bought more Paracetamol,I never take them normally,but I have managed to get a good stock of them in over the past couple of weeks.

I am glad I didn’t realise how bad the situation would be as I would definitely have bought another freezer and I really don’t need one.

dizzyblonde Wed 25-Mar-20 13:21:56

I wouldn’t do anything different, have never had sanitiser and have no intention of starting now unless at work. I have loads of soap and enough food for us and the dogs. I always have paracetamol in which is the only other thing I would be bothered about.

FlexibleFriend Wed 25-Mar-20 13:31:36

I've been buying in bulk for years due to disability so have plenty of most things, the only things we can't get hold of any bread in any shape or form but we'll manage.

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-Mar-20 13:44:37

I’d have made that appointment at the Apple store to get the much needed new battery in my old phone.

And instead of having a good laugh with the AC and grandsons, all of us bumping elbows and bums and feet on the day we heard we should start doing it, I’d have given each and every one of them a massive bear hug to see us through.

TerriBull Wed 25-Mar-20 14:29:54

I'd have got a new freezer, jut as everything was closing down last week my trusty Bosch upright of 19 years decided not to shut properly, seal seems to have given up, sheer panic sent me into John Lewis before they finally shut up shop to order another...........but due to the current situation there is a run on freezers, of course! have ordered one of their own products which I'm told I'll get in a couple of weeks but who knows now. In the meantime Bosch freezer seems to be holding up with duct tape wrapped round it to secure the door, so keeping everything crossed it will keep going.

Other than that would have got my hair done highlights and a cut, I was putting it off until just before we were due to fly off today, ha! ha! Would have bought a load more colour to do roots. I've got some on order from Boots hope it turns up.

Would have returned my library books before it closed, bought more hand sanitiser, fairly well stocked on paracetamol as our lovely pharmacist let us buy a box of 100 to add to the few small boxes I had.

Would have gone to garden centre to get plants and a new seat for the garden.

Doorstop Wed 25-Mar-20 14:43:42

Moved house, made my husband retire, visited the opticians, have macular degeneration and usually have yearly checks but optician decided to leave it for two, and the two years is up next month. Had my hair cut, seen dentist and gone to Primark for new Jim jams as I only have two pairs, one on, one off and given my only grandchild a humongous cuddle!

TwiceAsNice Wed 25-Mar-20 15:05:00

Would have brought my hairdresser appt forward, had to cancel it the day before it was due. Was prepared enough to get extra cat supplies . I have enough food for a while and daughter will help me get more. Would have bought some garden plants for my balcony .

Had recently been to the dentist and got car MOT .

MawB Wed 25-Mar-20 15:13:36

I suspect I would still have joined the family for lunch to celebrate BIL’s 70th birthday, would still have looked after Flynn when he was distraught at nursery (actually poorly), I would still have gone to Birmingham to have lunch with DD for her and my birthday and I would still have enjoyed seeing them all here on the 15th. No cuddles that day, but I would have cherished their company.
I would not have panic bought anything except maybe a 9-pack of loo paper and maybe more of that very nice Crémant we drank . But I would have cherished every possible second especially with the little ones, especially as DGS2 (8) seems to have caught it sad
Talk about counting your blessings.

phoenix Wed 25-Mar-20 15:22:39

heath480 you say you never normally take paracetamol, but have managed to get a "good stock" in?

Erm, does that count as stockpiling? And how many packets counts as "a good stock"?

merlotgran Wed 25-Mar-20 16:21:04

Sorry to hear about your DGS, Maw. If it's any consolation my niece and her eldest child have had it. The ll year old boy had mild symptoms. My niece has now recovered from the fatigue and breathlessness and has managed a bike ride along a farm road.