Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Where are the delivery slots disappearing to?

(37 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Thu 02-Apr-20 00:34:18

I've tried to get my second Morrisons's home delivery for 3 weeks now

All says is there are no slots available for my address.

I've tried early in the morning through to late at night. It's now half past midnight and no slots. I thought may be that the a further date might be added at midnight.

I bought a £20 delivery pass to save money. Ha!

Can't say the one delivery was a huge success. 1/2 items had either been swapped or sold out. Gutted at not having any eggs.

We're self isolated and it seems stupid to go and have to queue to buy a dozen eggs. I'll ring around and see if someone can help out but I live in a very isolated area.

Love to hear of some successes stories about getting regular home deliveries.

BlueSky Thu 02-Apr-20 00:49:11

I've now had two deliveries from Sainsbury's the first one a disaster, most items not available or poor substitutes. The second much better and some items previously off the shelves are now delivered again. I guess it helps that supermarkets are rationing the quantity of popular items. When you see the queues outside supermarkets the home deliveries are a godsend!

Doodledog Thu 02-Apr-20 01:07:27

I have shopped online since the service was available (the 90's?) and it is maddening that it has become so difficult to get slots now that people who didn't want them before have changed their minds, particularly when some people have been booking up slots for weeks ahead.

Sainsburys seem to me to have the right balance. They deal with the vulnerable first, then release slots to pass holders, then after that open them to everyone else. You get an email when you can book a slot, and they only allow one per week, with restrictions on the number of items allowed.

It's impossible to be really fair to everyone, but I think that is as good a system as any. I feel sorry for people buying for families, though, as they are still restricted to a maximum of three of any one item. I don't know how that works if you have a family of four (or more), but I understand that they have to stop idiots from buying up all the loo roll.

BradfordLass73 Thu 02-Apr-20 02:21:43

I got an email. 'Our records show you are in the Priority Access Category, so you will have first call when it comes to delivery and collections'

What a joke.

From then on, there were NO slots of any kind right up to mid-April. That supermarket has also stopped all Specials and increased delivery charges.

They are still sending me 'how we are caring for our Community' emails.

Makes me sick.

BlueBelle Thu 02-Apr-20 05:20:21

I have tried all the supermarkets all the ones that say there are priority slots for old gits and they just all say sold out, how do people get them ? Have they booked up weeks ago like the hoarders or are they just sitting watching the spaces every minute of the day to pounce

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 06:12:24

Doodledog I always shop at Sainsbury’s but not online. But don’t you understand that now I’m supposed to stay at home why I need my regular supermarket to be able to help?

I am still trying to get a vulnerable slot but with no luck and yes, I’ve done everything - phoned their automatic help line etc..

Luckily I’ve found a local pub and butcher who deliver and a little Eco shop who carries the basics. Guess who will have my business if I survive and come out the Other Side?

CherryCezzy Thu 02-Apr-20 07:16:07

As far as I'm aware,I checked again yesterday, Sainsbury's are only doing priority slots in England which doesn't help me. My wonderful partner and me live in an area with a Community Council and I rang them yesterday. I was given an 'emergency' number only given to those shielding who don't have anyone else who can shop for them. Apparently there is access to hundreds of shops this way, though I imagine not necessarily the big supermarkets.

Daisymae Thu 02-Apr-20 07:54:08

Try Tesco, yesterday I logged on and got a slot for Saturday. They were charging £7 for a middle of the day slot but £3 for the late afternoon.

Daisymae Thu 02-Apr-20 07:56:19

Ocado deleted all pre booked long standing orders. We are not friends at the moment. They didn't let us know or bother to check our category.

NannyJan53 Thu 02-Apr-20 07:59:45

I have been trying to get a slot for over 2 weeks now on Tesco. Every time I look all are taken!

BlueSky Thu 02-Apr-20 08:11:04

I've got priority booking with Sainsbury's for being over 70 but I shop on line with them regularly. You get an email but the only slots open are for the following or day after that, everything else is greyed out. Even then you have to take what time they are available which is OK considering we are at home almost 24/7.

eazybee Thu 02-Apr-20 08:12:44

there are priority slots for old gits
Charming!
I don't have a home delivery other than milk, which I have used for 32 years. Enquired online about ordering eggs and bread to be delivered to find I am number 22,000 plus in the queue.
I am surprised to see that people are having deliveries from more than one supermarket, which seems a little selfish.

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 08:27:33

Where did you read that eazy about deliveries from more than one supermarket?

TwiceAsNice Thu 02-Apr-20 08:36:41

I have had online deliveries from Ocado for years. Got an email to say as I am a Smart Pass customer I will get an email telling me which day I can place an order , as a prioritised customer. I’m still waiting a week later . Daughters who had the same email for the same reason have been able to place orders. I have tried several time’s through their website ( usual app not working at the moment) but it keeps taking me back to a page saying it’s not my turn at the moment. I have underlying health conditions so will not risk the supermarket. If daughters weren’t sharing food with me ( they live nearby) I would be panicking

Sparklefizz Thu 02-Apr-20 09:50:07

Sainsburys seem to me to have the right balance. They deal with the vulnerable first, then release slots to pass holders, then after that open them to everyone else.

I am finding Sainsbury's a complete joke. I have bad asthma and am also juggling a number of other illnesses. I am also 72. I have shopped with Sainsbury's for nearly 30 years. Can I get an online slot? No!

Yet a friend who is only 62 and does not have asthma or any of the other illnesses, has been able to get slots easily. Why is this?

I have phoned, I have filled in the Gov.Uk form but have got nowhere.

Today I read that even a blind man has been unable to get a priority Sainsbury's online delivery slot.

I am extremely disappointed in Sainsbury's.

Doodledog Thu 02-Apr-20 10:01:38

Pikachu I do understand that vulnerable people need slots, and I did say that I think that prioritising them is part of a fair strategy. Sorry if that wasn’t clear in my post.

I am not on the vulnerable list, but I do have asthma and a couple of underlying conditions that compromise my immune system.

I don’t drive, so can’t do click and collect, and would only be able to carry a small amount of shopping if I went out to get it.

My point was that non-vulnerable people are booking slots ahead, which has meant that I have struggled to get one, and I find this very annoying when I know that many of them don’t usually shop online.

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 10:06:42

Thanks for clarification Dood

trisher Thu 02-Apr-20 10:10:46

I logged on to Sainsburys using the e-mail they sent me and couldn't get a slot, I logged in with my usual name and got a slot the next day. I think the extra care places are getting over loaded.

B9exchange Thu 02-Apr-20 10:20:42

Never used ASDA before, but neighbour on our Whatsapp group texted to say they had click and collect slots just made available, tried and was lucky, at least we won't have to spend ages trailing round a shop.
Usually used Morrisons, but no luck there, or Ocado, or Tesco or CoOp. Waitrose offered me a slot, had even booked it, but disappeared before I could order anything. Sainsburys contacted me to say I would qualify for priority slots, tried to log in, website said I hadn't ordered for past two years, would need to reregister first. Tried to reregister and guess what? 'we are not accepting new registrations at present'!

Supermarkets say they are not short of food, surely it isn't impossible to upgrade their systems to make more slots available?

QuaintIrene Thu 02-Apr-20 10:26:58

I have shopped online for years. It was a godsend when I was caring for DH and couldn’t leave him. And then as my sciatica has got worse and unable to carry much, or steer a trolley even.
Impossible now to get a slot. I think some folks booked lots at once at the beginning whether they were really needed or not. Saw this recommended on Mumsnet! So it’s no wonder.
The roads are much busier today, so maybe folks are going to the supermarket. Might free some spaces, hopefully.

janipat Thu 02-Apr-20 10:27:31

Supermarkets say they are not short of food, surely it isn't impossible to upgrade their systems to make more slots available?
More slots mean more pickers, more delivery vans and more drivers. You can't magic those up overnight, and will all these online shoppers still want home delivery once the crisis has passed? What happens to the extra vans and drivers then? I'd love a home delivery slot, not got one yet, but do understand the size of the problem.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Apr-20 10:28:24

I had a Waitrose delivery last week, I booked it 10 days previous, only 2 items missing. I am a regular on-line shopper with them. Have not been able to get another slot.

I registered with Morrisons yesterday, no slots available in my area. Whilst laying in bed this morning I clicked on an email from Morrisons confirming my registration, managed to get a home delivery in 3 weeks time. I think it is just a case of being on line at the right time, which I know is extremely frustrating.

Apparently only 7-8% of the population used on line food shopping now it is nearly the whole of the UK.

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 02-Apr-20 10:47:00

Sainsburys seem to me to have the right balance. They deal with the vulnerable first, then release slots to pass holders, then after that open^ them to everyone else.

Everyone else never gets a look in with Sainsbury's. !

GrannyGravy13 I wish I had your luck. Tried at 3:00am (couldn't sleep). No slots for my address.
Tried at 8:00am - same comment

I'm going to try for a click and collect at ASDA as it's the closest to me 20 mins. Would have to drive for nearly 45 mins for click and collect at a SAINSBURY or MORRISONS

I've a friend whose done this now twice (ASDA) and says there's as much risk with click and collect as there is with a delivery.

Dee1012 Thu 02-Apr-20 10:55:01

Like others, I've used the Tesco delivery service for years....I have ongoing health issues, care for my son and don't drive. I managed to book a delivery for April 21st, nothing else was available at all.
I really do understand that many are vulnerable by virtue of age and/or medical issues but I have found it frustrating. I'm sure that with technology etc, existing and regular customers could have been given regular access, even fortnightly slots?!

ReadyMeals Thu 02-Apr-20 20:56:27

Oh - don't wait for the email from Ocado. Just try once or twice a day and suddenly you get surprised by the page saying you have priority access - with a 20min or so queue. I found that I never got an email but I did get a text saying I now had priority access - but it didn't arrive till after my priority access had ended. I was lucky I'd checked the day before.