Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Dr John Campbell

(63 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Thu 02-Apr-20 13:54:55

NB: I am putting this up because I think maybe interesting to some. If all you want to do is attack someone please do it elsewhere. If you are not interested - don't listen. I really can't make it any plainer than that but, for those who are interested, this is the link to yesterday and today.

If you want to find out about John Campbell you could start here

But please just use your own knowledge and don't blame lack of use of that on me. I still think this will be worth something to some of you.

Eglantine21 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:23:19

Thank you for posting this. What a very, clear sensible man. I wish he was giving the daily briefings!

I’ll keep watching daily.

Just as an aside I loved that he used a typed sheet to convey information and a pen to make his emphases.

Lisagran Thu 02-Apr-20 14:43:00

Interesting, sensible, knowledgeable guy. Thanks for links

GracesGranMK3 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:54:50

I'll try to give updated links as he records new ones.

farview Thu 02-Apr-20 14:55:30

I watched his video about vitamin d...really interesting...lovely guy..could listen to him for hours

Harris27 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:57:32

Really good just listened to him makes sense.

Mapleleaf Thu 02-Apr-20 15:13:04

Thank you. That was very interesting.

Kalu Thu 02-Apr-20 15:16:32

Thanks for posting this.

Someone worth listening to daily.

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 15:42:10

Yes, keep them coming

Labaik Thu 02-Apr-20 16:10:00

He's doing more briefings now; I panicked the other day because he hadn't done one for several days and I find him a bit of a lifeline. I had, however, just not found them on utube. He's the reason why I bought vit D the other week. Although he doesn't hold back on the seriousness of the situation I find the information that he gives very reassuring/empowering.

Daisymae Thu 02-Apr-20 16:14:39

He has been posting about the virus since January. Pity that no one in the government didn't pay some attention. He has been spot on all along and not with hindsight

Davidhs Thu 02-Apr-20 17:06:12

This is exactly what I believe is happening, a great many have been infected already and have had mild or no illness and that in the next few weeks most of us will have been exposed.

The isolation and lockdown is slowing the numbers peaking, it was interesting that Thailand had an antibody test but not us!.

Callistemon Thu 02-Apr-20 17:38:40

Thank you GGMK3

What I would like to know is just how long this virus has been around and whether or not there are people in the UK who were unknowingly infected with it before the assumed date of 31st January.

Joelsnan Thu 02-Apr-20 18:04:36

A very worthwhile watch

Birdwatcher4 Thu 02-Apr-20 19:42:21

Very interesting video! I have question that might make me sound thick ? it’s regarding testing for Covid 19 if you have been home isolating because a family member had symptoms and you haven’t had symptoms so could go back to work after getting tested and it’s negative so you are told you can go back to work what happens if after being in work you then have symptoms my point is testing everyone for it is not really going to stop the spread ....

Labaik Thu 02-Apr-20 20:12:36

I'd like to know if those that have had the flu and/or pneumonia vaccine have had a better prognosis. I've been meaning to have a pneumonia jab for ages but just didn't get round to it.

SirChenjin Thu 02-Apr-20 20:17:47

Thanks so much for this link GGMk3 - I’ve shared it with my colleagues. It’s interesting that the fnumbers who might have been infected come nowhere close to the figures required for herd immunity - what on earth was this Govt thinking? Did one of Cummings misfits and weirdos put this forward as a strategy I wonder?

Marydoll Thu 02-Apr-20 20:27:32

GracesGran, thank you for posting this.

Davidhs Fri 03-Apr-20 07:12:04

It’s correct that we are nowhere near herd immunity YET but in maybe a couple of months that could well change. Because there are reports of whole families with mild symptoms, including members with no symptoms, there is a significant level of immunity in the population.

If they can get an antibody test it will help a lot to get a picture of the actual level of exposure. They have used antibody testing for some animal diseases for many years, they are not 100% accurate. If our outbreak follows Spain and Italy there will be a peak in 2 weeks, then we really need that test.

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 07:43:43

Labaik I've been having the flu jab for years and I've also had the one-off pneumonia jab. I tried to find out if either protects me, but sadly it appears not.

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 07:46:21

PS. However, I did find that I have an almost unopened box of high strength Vitamin D tablets, which I bought before I was prescribed them officially.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Apr-20 08:30:18

Herd immunity requires at least 60% of the population to have antibodies (and unless we’re planning to close borders that means 60% of the global population). There’s no way we’ll get there in 2 or 3 months - nor would we want to as the burden that it would place on the health services, economies and mortuaries in a very short period of time would be devastating.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Apr-20 08:42:45

I’ve been taking vit D for years now. Not sure I feel any different, but I think that is the point. Staying healthy is the point.

He’s good though isn’t he? That’s because he is on top of his brief and why someone who isn’t appears to waffle and piffle.

JenniferEccles Fri 03-Apr-20 09:44:26

What an interesting, informative man with a very calm reassuring manner.

I feel much more optimistic after listening to him, although he does deal with facts and nothing is sugar coated.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 03-Apr-20 10:17:01

This is "London Real interview, Part 2" put up today.

If you didn't go back in the videos this is London Real interview Part 1 from 6 days ago. It worth watching this first although figures have changed over the last six days